5 7.25%
  • Mr. Terrific

24 34.78%
  • Other (No Hall of Famers)

18 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    See I'm the reverse, I want Ben to have a costume and not be stuck in casual clothes. I'm especially over the bald look.
    I wouldn’t mind giving him hair as long as they kept the facial “marks” because I think those are cool and help him stand out. But I don’t like the full Tiger mask covering his face, it just looks bizarre to me.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

so today I learned that they are doing the Force Quest/Forever Force arc over on the Flash. I thought that was cool because I love that arc until I saw this is who they got to play Fuerza

this is the most egregious case of whitewashing I've ever seen.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    so today I learned that they are doing the Force Quest/Forever Force arc over on the Flash. I thought that was cool because I love that arc until I saw this is who they got to play Fuerza

Yeah, the show's handling of her on several levels leaves a lot to be desired (I could say the same about their adaption of the arc in general).

They handled Psych pretty well though.

Extraordinary Member

OR brown washing.
    Keep in mind some chaceters in the arrowvese are raceswapped.

Look at impulse(bart) upcoming in the flash season7.
    He is going to be black,so some could say fair game when it come to certain characters.
    Just look at dceu and titans season 3 tim drake.

Others could say at least Fuerza in the arrowverse flash show is still ethnically latino.
    By the way, is it race swapping if the live action arrowverse version character's REAL last name is different?

Anyway i posted this info is some of other threads recently.

Check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Fuerza
    Alexa Rivera

https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/Fuerza

Note-
    The Fuerza in the comics is Alexa Antigone (Prime Earth) and a different race(a black latino) and that was changed in the arrowverse and the last name as well.

Fuerza
    Alexa Antigone (Prime Earth)
    Mainstream Universe‎‎, 2011‎-present

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Alexa_Antigone_(Prime_Earth)
    THREAD: ASIAN AND LATINO SUPERHEROES?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...67#post5539467
    and
    THREAD: THE FLASH
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...22#post5547622
    Last edited by mace11; 05-23-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yeah. I'm not surprised.

I've kinda thrown up my hands at the CW Flash series since I learned they gave Bloodwork (who I admittedly liked in the comics, despite how quickly and gleefully he leapt into villainy) more focus and nuance than freaking Godspeed, The Flash Family's resident Anti-Hero Speedster who was made into a nuance-less Villain of the Week. (And was also played by an actor who's complexion was lighter than August's usual depiction.) Going from the practical dueteragonist of Williamson's run into the CW Flash's portrayal was such a waste.

The Force Works/Force Powers getting elevated is a good thing, but I'm not surprised they're doing it like this.

OR brown washing.
    You're attributing false equivalencies.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

OR brown washing.

Look at impulse(bart) upcoming in the flash season7.
    He is going to be black,so some could say fair game when it come to certain characters.
    Just look at dceu and titans season 3 tim drake.

Others could say at least Fuerza in the arrowverse flash show is still ethnically latino.
    By the way, is it race swapping if the live action arrowverse version character's REAL last name is different?

Anyway i posted this info is some of other threads recently.

Check it out.

THREAD: ASIAN AND LATINO SUPERHEROES?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...67#post5539467
    and
    THREAD: THE FLASH
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...22#post5547622
    The changed last name is their Get Out of Jail Free Card. They can always bring in Antigone at a later date. In any case, if this is the worst case of whitewashing someone's been exposed to (and it's brownwashing, as noted), they've been fortunate and also missed the Nolan Batman trilogy in which Ra's, Talia and Bane were all raceswapped to lily white people. Hell, as an Ethnically Greek person, they took the one character relatively close to my heritage (Wonder Woman) and cast an Iranian woman to play her, draped her in Greek iconography and called it a day because she vaguely fits the phenotype.

Don't get me started on Ares or how he's always British at DC, and often blond at that.

Is it a blunder? Yeah, but given the CW's record of inclusion and how many characters they've racebent over the years, I'd say there wasn't anything malicious behind the casting.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-24-2021 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I've kinda thrown up my hands at the CW Flash series since I learned they gave Bloodwork (who I admittedly liked in the comics, despite how quickly and gleefully he leapt into villainy) more focus and nuance than freaking Godspeed, The Flash Family's resident Anti-Hero Speedster who was made into a nuance-less Villain of the Week. (And was also played by an actor who's complexion was lighter than August's usual depiction.) Going from the practical dueteragonist of Williamson's run into the CW Flash's portrayal was such a waste.
    They're re-focusing on Godspeed in the latter half of the current season. And set photos have shown the actor in the suit looking more like comic August, although whether that's a stunt actor, the actual Godspeed or another dupe remains to be seen.

they not going forward with the Painkiller series unfortunately. figured as much tho, they already got Naomi coming. they'll only do so many black hero series at a time smh I was hoping tho
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

they not going forward with the Painkiller series unfortunately. figured as much tho, they already got Naomi coming. they'll only do so many black hero series at a time smh I was hoping tho
    The actor is good enough to be playing a bigger character anyway

Astonishing Member

...You know? I'm legit mad at the news.

Especially when we know that "only do so many Black hero series at a time" means "only 1 Black hero series at a time."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    ...You know? I'm legit mad at the news.

Especially when we know that "only do so many Black hero series at a time" means "only 1 Black hero series at a time."
    Naomi and Batwoman are too at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Naomi and Batwoman are too at a time
    Both women though so no black male lead shows. Kinda hoping Steel gets a spin-off but we’ll see what the plans are for him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The actor is good enough to be playing a bigger character anyway
    I disagree. i think because he's such a strong actor he'd have the chance to really shape and grow Painkiller more than he could a Steel or a Wise-Son or any other "bigger" character; which is relative given how small most of DC's black characters are compared to their contemporaries. DC could use more prominent black properties, they could definitely use more black anti-heroes, and having one that's a solo lead emerge as a spin-off from Black Lightning would've been a great way to build BL's brand and family of characters. I hope DC honors this show's legacy and at least start canonizing these takes on the characters and other elements from the show. no matter how you feel, it was far and away one of if not the best "run" on Black Lightning DC's ever put out.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-28-2021 at 06:39 PM.

currently following:

I went with Black Lightning, Mr. Terrific and Bumblebee and other.

For other I chose Guardian.

I like to read old bronze age comics from the 70's and I came across him and Bumblebee joining the Teen Titans. They've brought back Bumblebee and put her on the Titans a couple years back. I'd like to see Guardian re-added to the team as well.

More reasons not to watch this show.

Savitar in the comics was a brown skinned man from an unnamed country who named himself Savitr (one of the names for the sun). He was pretty clearly coded as Indian. In the tv show, he's just Barry from an alternate timeline.