Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Thankfully, they did eventually beef up Valkyrie's powers again. I never understood why she went from someone who could trade punches with the Hulk (pre-Defenders appearances) to being slightly above Spider-Man level (strength-wise).
    This has long irked me as well, it's amost as if after having her tell Namor she doesn't hate men, she just knows she's their equal, someone at Marvel decided "oh no, we're having none of that...". Of course prior to The Defenders I think she only had two other appearances, first in The Avengers as a disguised Enchantress, and then the Hulk issue (Samantha Parrington infused with Valkyrie's spirit by the Enchantress) where she pretty much hands ol' jade jaw his own backside, she even exhibited concussive energy blasts with her spear in that story, though one could always say she was amped by Amora's magic. So, essentially, at the time she was added to The Defenders roster, she only had a loosely defined power set which only really solidified once she became a recurring character. Unfortunately, her strength level was wiidly inconsistent, from being near ineffective to taking out over a dozen other super beings (yes, most were Z list pushovers) without breaking a sweat during a berserker rage, and subsequently over the years, most writers, and readers, tended to put more emphasis on her low showings.

The Valkyrie was initially right up there with Namor, Hulk and Surfer in terms of raw strength and durability. Remember, it was she who physically broke them out of their prison cells and which was the very reason for her creation in the Defenders.

However, within the span of just a few issues, the brakes were massively applied to Val's strength and she was downgraded. While Valkyrie was the first super-strong female heroine to appear, technically in the Defenders issue she was the second, as Thundra had appeared over in the FF 2 months sooner. Thundra was another massively strong female but she retained her strength, even being stronger over time.

Another weakening of Valkyrie is that they really made issue of the body part of Valkyrie being a transformed Barbara Norriss with the spirit of Brunhilde being submerged. But there were also inconsistencies. While for the most part Valkyrie was watered down, then there were times where she could fight Hulk and Thor. The Hulk fights usually left her okay, but sometimes bruised and sore, as she herself would state. The Thor fights she seemed to hold her own and no worse for wear.

Only after Val was rejoined in her original body, did her strength return to its true level. However, to me, that level stated by Marvel was only half of what it should have been, and I look at it like they just kept her former strength level and forgot to double it. To me, Valkyrie is in the top levels of strength.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Valkyrie is one of the greatest things about Defenders. I will literally pick up a book if she's in it.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Val is my gal. She is the best!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

How do Defenders fans feel about the various new Valkyries Marvel keeps trying to push?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    How do Defenders fans feel about the various new Valkyries Marvel keeps trying to push?

Peace
    The original will always be my preference.

The movie one - at least they showed a "blond" Valkyrie apparently sacrificing herself (which my head cannon says is Brunhilde).

Not a fan of Dani as a Valkyrie - I think it takes away from her Native American bit - because suddenly all her stories revolved around being a Valkyrie.

Not a fan of Jane Foster as Valkryie - they just need to stop trying to make her something.

Peace
    I want Brunhilde Valkyrie back alive using Dragonfang to prominently kick butt in a regular ongoing book!!

The only reasons I do not totally hate another character taking on the Valkyrie mantle is because it keeps the name alive and the possiblity that Brunhilde can return. I remember a time where Valkyrie all but disappeared from the Marvel Universe (maybe the 90's well into the aughts?).

If they are so interested in Jane Foster these days (after the character has been around almost 60 years), I think they need to find something other than make her Thor or Vakyrie. That in and of itself does not sit well with me.

I also am not too fond of Dani as "thee" Valkyrie but it bothers me less with her being "a" Valkyre. Plus, she has been one for so long now that I guess I am partly used to her being referred to as one.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 02-26-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Astonishing Member

Peace
    Uninterested!

Rank your Defenders in order from Volume 1:

Doctor Strange
    Hulk
    Namor the Sub-Mariner
    Silver Surfer
    Valkyrie
    Nighthawk
    Hellcat
    Devil-Slayer
    Gargoyle
    Beast
    Angel
    Iceman
    Moondragon
    Valkyrie
    Cloud
    Andromeda
    Interloper
    ManSlaughter

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Peace
    My only issue with it is that Marvel keeps refusing to explore myths from other cultures, so naturally all rivulets lead back to the same tired well of Norse primacy. The net result of that is I find myself checking out at the mere sight of a new Norse-related character, be it a Valkyrie, troll, dwarf, god or whatever.

To some extent it even affects my appreciation of Angela, who I actually liked quite a bit when she was a Spawn character, but who has fallen into the "meh" category as a Norse "angel." In a way it's like asking the DJ for new music, but all he does is play the extended remixes and similar variants of the songs that you just heard.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Non-teams are fun...

Luke Cage
    Red Guardian/Starlight
    Nighthawk
    Hellcat
    Dr. Strange
    Gargoyle
    Moondragon

Fantastic Member

Peace
    On the one hand, I think it's kind of interesting as a way of reestablishing the Valkyrior and giving each member some character depth and development, as opposed to the typical manner in which they tended to be portrayed, as one dimensional background filler, often being nothing other than visual duplicates of Brunnhilde herself. On the other, I'm still fuming over Brunnhilde being killed and sent to Valhalla, I'm glad she hasn't just been erased and forgotten entirely, but she deserves better than being relegated to a "Valkyrie consulting service".

I don't mind the various 'new' Valkyries so much, they should all bow to the original however.

I liked that period of Defenders. I really liked the friendship and interactions between Patsy and Valk, and Kyle as well. It was a great run.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

If you could put six people on the DEFENDERS - who would make up this team for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    If you could put six people on the DEFENDERS - who would make up this team for you?
    1. Doctor Strange
    2. Clea
    3. Valkyrie
    4. Hercules
    5. Spider-Woman (Drew)
    6. Moon Knight
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.