Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    The others seem okay, especially the Surfer, but I can't say I liked much the artist's interpetration of the Doc. I like Ewing, but will wait for the TPB, and check on people's opinion on it.

Peace
    Why does doc have a waist bag/purse/fanny-pack?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Brunhilde is still dead. The only current Valkyries are Jane Foster and Runa, the two stars of the current Mighty Valkyries comic. If they use a Valkyrie, it would probably be Jane. She's Doctor Strange's friend anyway, he works at the same hospital as her and is one of the few to know her secret identity.
    Oh. I saw a cover with the Valkyrie that appeared to be Brunhilde. But it could just be depicting some older team members I guess?

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    The book's only going to be five issues so I don't think there'll be much rotating.
    Oh, only 5 issues? I thought it was more.

Well, maybe they are testing the waters to see if it would sell well before committing to yet another failed Defenders book.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Re-join, technically. She was a member during the Matt Fraction run as Red She-Hulk. But yeah, its nice to see her in the mix. And I am definitely excited to see Cloud included too.
    If those are indeed Cloud and Betty as Red Harpy or whatever, then I'm all for it. I was afraid, looking at the cover, that it was one of those '80s style groups, lampooned at the time in an Image comic as 'the standard new team format, a couple former team heroes, one established moody loner, and a pair of bimbos nobody's ever heard of...'

So many great heroines out there, it's fun to see some of those not used as much brought back, rather than a bunch of new characters that will be as quickly abandoned trotted out.

Of all the lower tier Defenders (not quite as heavy hitting as the core four of Strange, Surfer, Hulk and Namor), I always liked Valkyrie and Gargoyle. Val's dead and replaced by multiple others, so not likely to return soon, but I wonder what Gargoyle's up to. I haven't seen him since the Initiative.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    The book's only going to be five issues so I don't think there'll be much rotating.
    True, but don't rule it out yet. Joe Casey's LAST DEFENDERS series only ran for 6 issues and rotated through at least three different roster changes during the course of that run. Dr. Strange, Masker Raider, Silver Surfer, Cloud and Red Harpy may be the core cast of the book, but that doesn't mean we won't see other Defenders pop in and out along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Val's dead and replaced by multiple others, so not likely to return soon, but I wonder what Gargoyle's up to. I haven't seen him since the Initiative.
    Gargoyle is currently a supporting character in IRON MAN, as part of an ad-hoc team of lesser-known heroes that Iron Man and Hellcat assembled to help them fight Korvac and his followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    LOL. My thoughts, exactly.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If those are indeed Cloud and Betty as Red Harpy or whatever, then I'm all for it. I was afraid, looking at the cover, that it was one of those '80s style groups, lampooned at the time in an Image comic as 'the standard new team format, a couple former team heroes, one established moody loner, and a pair of bimbos nobody's ever heard of...'

So many great heroines out there, it's fun to see some of those not used as much brought back, rather than a bunch of new characters that will be as quickly abandoned trotted out.

Of all the lower tier Defenders (not quite as heavy hitting as the core four of Strange, Surfer, Hulk and Namor), I always liked Valkyrie and Gargoyle. Val's dead and replaced by multiple others, so not likely to return soon, but I wonder what Gargoyle's up to. I haven't seen him since the Initiative.
    Gargoyle has been in the pages of Iron Man lately on a rag tag team of heroes helping out Tony.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I was wondering the same. Strange swiping Shaman's swag low key? Maybe Marvel giving us a prelude to the First Bag War. First one to pull a Tchotchke of Zvilpogghua out of their Louis Vuitton magic sack wins. Let the Bag Wars begin!

As for the Defenders, I'm not feeling the cast entirely, but I trust that Ewing will deliver in terms of the writing. Defenders fans are in for a treat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member

I always disliked Cloud. I think she was just introduced to be edgy, but the character left me flat. I'd much rather see another classic Defender (I don't consider Cloud 'classic'). In all honestly, though, I'd prefer they bring back a quartet of the most iconic members -- two of the following: Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Namor, Hellcat. Even Luke Cage would be cool as long as we was wearing some type of uniform -- and not just jeans and a t-shirt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I always disliked Cloud. I think she was just introduced to be edgy, but the character left me flat. I'd much rather see another classic Defender (I don't consider Cloud 'classic'). In all honestly, though, I'd prefer they bring back a quartet of the most iconic members -- two of the following: Valkyrie, Nighthawk, Namor, Hellcat. Even Luke Cage would be cool as long as we was wearing some type of uniform -- and not just jeans and a t-shirt.
    Brunnhilde/Valkyrie and Nighthawk would be two of my faves. Hellcat if she was something more than just a mildly athletic Patsy Walker. (I'm not into the psychic version, but would prefer her to at least have some heightened agility!) But also Devil-Slayer (if he ain't still dead), Hellstrom, Andromeda, Moondragon, Red Guardian, etc.

There's a ton of ex-Defenders I would have picked over Cloud, but I don't dislike her or anything. (Not like Man-Slaughter. Blech.)

Still, Cloud's head and shoulders above Defender-for-a-Day, Tagak the Leopard Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    LOL. My thoughts, exactly.

Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I was wondering the same. Strange swiping Shaman's swag low key? Maybe Marvel giving us a prelude to the First Bag War. First one to pull a Tchotchke of Zvilpogghua out of their Louis Vuitton magic sack wins. Let the Bag Wars begin!

As for the Defenders, I'm not feeling the cast entirely, but I trust that Ewing will deliver in terms of the writing. Defenders fans are in for a treat.
    hehe. LOL, Bag War!

It made me think they were going for a long journey, perhaps on the New York subways and it held passes for everyone?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    True, but don't rule it out yet. Joe Casey's LAST DEFENDERS series only ran for 6 issues and rotated through at least three different roster changes during the course of that run. Dr. Strange, Masker Raider, Silver Surfer, Cloud and Red Harpy may be the core cast of the book, but that doesn't mean we won't see other Defenders pop in and out along the way.

Gargoyle is currently a supporting character in IRON MAN, as part of an ad-hoc team of lesser-known heroes that Iron Man and Hellcat assembled to help them fight Korvac and his followers.
    Scarlet Spider is not lesser known but he is in need of overhaul after Peter David made him unrecognizable as the Ben that true Ben fans wanted back.

So Cloud is an existing character, still need to go hit that wiki(if it is out there).

Edit: so this is the right Cloud character then it seems, alias Carol Faber.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-25-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Bummed that it’s only five issues.
    But at least it’s something.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Bummed that it’s only five issues.
    But at least it’s something.
    Me too! But, maybe they are just testing to see if there is interest in the book before starting a regular series and then it fails after a few issues?

Sometimes I wonder why the various revivals never work. Back in the day, Defenders was arguably a major go-to book, but since somewhere in the '80s the allure wore off.

I've been introduced to them again and again, but the click doesnt happen.

A part of me goes to my "imprint theory". That certain events affect us deeper or make a connection in ways others don't. A part of this is our own body/personality/etc changes. The 'event' happened at a time when all your systems were keyed in certain ways.

The obvious is puberty. I know that some of the stories I read or things I experienced at that time made a deeper mark in me. Meant more for some reason.

In a more common sense, has anyone ever had these experiences or situations.

You find a restaurant or place with a food that almost seems an epiphany of taste.
    But you never quite recapture that feeling that taste.
    So for me, that could be the first time I ate Szechuan (sic) Chinese food, circa 1980 (I was 25) on a visit to Toronto's Chinatown.
    I've had great food from all cuisines (this happens with other foods; certainly) but ...

So I hit that with Defenders long ago, but I'm a fan nonetheless.

Or am I looking for my next 'high' ?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all