Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Who did the painting that's below the Gil Kane cover? Great piece of art!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Who did the painting that's below the Gil Kane cover? Great piece of art!
    Have to agree! It's by Jorge Molina. I'll go back and add his name. I think when the solicited as TBA originally.

Here's a link to his instagram with some amazing process shots.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHInioMg..._web_copy_link
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-03-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Incredible Member

Thanks! I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Defenders (original series) has long been one of my favorite series. I have the entire run from MARVEL FEATURE to the final issue of THE DEFENDERS.

I’m not sure that magic could be recaptured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I think that's the case for many books. But Defenders even moreso, because it was such a quirky book. I have to give Marvel credit, though, they certainly have tried alot the last decade. Though some of those attempts were just using the name.
    No, I know the Magic cannot be recaptured, as indeed, the Magic changed after issue 20 and numerous times thereafter.

Today, it would not even closely feel or resemble the Magic of yesteryear....but "there's always Hope....!"

Defenders' Rosters as Micro-Heroes @Micro-Heroes Compendium (This is FABULOUS!)

Founders

Doctor Strange
    Hulk
    Namor

Defenders

Silver Surfer
    Valkyrie
    Hellcat
    Daimon Hellstrom
    Luke Cage
    Black Panther
    Moon Knight
    Daredevil

New Defenders

Angel
    Andromeda
    Beast
    Candy Southern
    Cloud
    Gargoyle
    Iceman
    Interloper
    Manslaughter
    Moondragon
    Seraph
    Valkyrie
    So many missing members. Where is hawkeye who joined in avengers defender war, howard the duck who joined in giant sized howard the duck 1 and the defenders for a day heroes among others.

The big trouble is the "non team" part of the team and the defenders for a day story says anyone can just join just like that. That leads to trouble as when wasp or wanda shows up for a issue. So is anyone who aids the team on a mission a member? I have seen so many member lists with the members all over the place! Vision, spider-man and mr fantastic listed as members in some and not in others. Man-thing listed in some but not others! Wiki members has been re edited many times with members added and dropped! Even marvel has done this forgeting howard the duck, daredevil and hawkeye on some early lists then adding them back later.

Defenders membership is a confusing mess with the "non team" rules. Marvel really needs to give us a complete list of all defenders teams members!

Would love a "all members" poster art as well like x-men and avengers have.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 01-03-2021 at 03:04 PM.

By John McCrea

Quote Originally Posted by John McCrea
    I drew this pic nearly a year ago while in the dentist waiting room- had always wanted to ink it but never found the time- yesterday night I thought **** it, lets have some inking fun! ... love these characters so much!

https://twitter.com/mccreaman/status...624755713?s=20

https://twitter.com/mccreaman/status...114700800?s=20
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-03-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So many missing members. Where is hawkeye who joined in avengers defender war, howard the duck who joined in giant sized howard the duck 1 and the defenders for a day heroes among others.

The big trouble is the "non team" part of the team and the defenders for a day story says anyone can just join just like that. That leads to trouble as when wasp or wanda shows up for a issue. So is anyone who aids the team on a mission a member? I have seen so many member lists with the members all over the place! Vision, spider-man and mr fantastic listed as members in some and not in others. Man-thing listed in some but not others! Wiki members has been re edited many times with members added and dropped! Even marvel has done this forgeting howard the duck, daredevil and hawkeye on some early lists then adding them back later.

Defenders membership is a confusing mess with the "non team" rules. Marvel really needs to give us a complete list of all defenders teams members!

Would love a "all members" poster art as well like x-men and avengers have.

Hmmmm. Well, I've been copying these from the original thread, so I'm not sure where exactly the list came from originally, and haven't ever updated them properly. But there's definitely something wrong there. I mean, I don't think Luke Cage, Black Panther, Moon Knight, or Daredevil as Defenders, especially with NIGHTHAWK and Gargoyle missing???

Defender for a Day is definitely ... problematic for any roster listing. LOL! And then there's Secret Defenders!

Oh my. We'd need George Perez for something l like, and he's retired. Though, maybe Art Adams... I think the closest we got to it was that double page spread in Fear Itself the Deep #4. I need to find that.

Anyway, let me know of any corrections, and I'll add them.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Defenders (original series) has long been one of my favorite series. I have the entire run from MARVEL FEATURE to the final issue of THE DEFENDERS.

I’m not sure that magic could be recaptured.
    I believe Hawkeye was a (temp) member from ish 8-9 through Avengers/Defenders War, while Luke was in 16-19 and then many various issues in the 20's, 30's and 40's. Moonknight also was in the 40's till about issue 50 (Fabulous 50th issue!) which had a yellow/white striped logo! [How do I remember that after sooo many years, lol?]

Oops howard was a treasury and not giant-size.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hawkeye as a defender.

[IMG][/IMG]

Defender for a day.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the wiki members list. (it has changed more then once. Man-thing was on it a few years ago among others)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Defenders_members

Another thing that makes it tricky is the "corner box faces" that appeared in the late 70's and early 80's. For example, issue 84 has the Black Panther in the corner box. Although in the story, it's more of a team-up or guest spot, as Panther is not implied to be joining the cast. Compare this to other Marvel team book of the time, where official members of a team usually appeared in the corner.

Yellowjacket had two stints with the team. Each for one adventure I believe (without digging too deep, I want to say in a "Giant-Size" issue, then again in issue 76 or so, against with the Mandrill). I'd put him with guys like Spider-Man, who were occasional guest-stars or team-ups with the Defenders.

Spider-man has been on some lists of original defenders also and yellowjacket is listed as a member on the wiki. Starhawk from gotg has been listed as a member also on some lists.

Wiki is missing black panther and howard the duck by the way! (someone should fix that and add howard.)

Astonishing Member

I'm buying the new Iron Man series just for the Hellcat appearances. She co-stars on the cover of the third issue painted by Alex Ross. He utilizes the design of the original Cat costume (sans claw emblem).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm buying the new Iron Man series just for the Hellcat appearances. She co-stars on the cover of the third issue painted by Alex Ross. He utilizes the design of the original Cat costume (sans claw emblem).
    As always, Alex Ross delivers. I tried the first two issues of the book, but I didn't care for it. Though I do like that Cantwell IS using Hellcat. Great to see her in a major book.

Though I do like this Peach Momoko cover also.

Last edited by Reviresco; 01-04-2021 at 07:07 PM.

That is a great cover! Hellcat's pose reminds me of how they used to draw her. I like it.

Marvel has so many great characters, many female ones that are fan-faves and that they should not let fall into obscurity. There is a fan base out here for them!