Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's a new year, but sadly, we have no new Defenders ongoing. But it IS the 50th Anniversary of the Defenders and we are getting an omnibus with THREE covers! Perhaps that is a hint of future goodness for the Defenders in their anniversary year?
    I sure hope we get a new Defenders ongoing this year and not another miniseries. I feel like Best Defense would have been such a good launch point for Marvel to revive the team.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I sure hope we get a new Defenders ongoing this year and not another miniseries. I feel like Best Defense would have been such a good launch point for Marvel to revive the team.
    Mini-series seems to be all Marvel is doing lately... unless you're Man-Thing. Yes, STILL salty about that. And I suspect I will be moreso if the Defenders 50th gets ignored.

Of course, I'm not sure where Marvel would go with the Defenders now. Or the creative team.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    That is a great cover! Hellcat's pose reminds me of how they used to draw her. I like it.

Marvel has so many great characters, many female ones that are fan-faves and that they should not let fall into obscurity. There is a fan base out here for them!
    I think it must be late, because my posting is somewhat bitter. ;p

I guess we'll have to be happy they are at least using Hellcat in a book. Limbo is a cold place.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Fantastic Member

Mini-series seems to be all Marvel is doing lately... unless you're Man-Thing. Yes, STILL salty about that. And I suspect I will be moreso if the Defenders 50th gets ignored.

Of course, I'm not sure where Marvel would go with the Defenders now. Or the creative team.
    Yeah, I suspect if anything we'll get a 4-6 part mini-series, though even that would be appreciated, compared to nothing at all.

I think it must be late, because my posting is somewhat bitter. ;p

I guess we'll have to be happy they are at least using Hellcat in a book. Limbo is a cold place.
    I know, but I look at it like this: New Year, New Hope, New Promises, New Joys!
    (Actually, I try to apply that to EVERYTHING, not just comics! And especially coming off that last horrible year, this can help me to feel better)

Astonishing Member

That is a great cover! Hellcat's pose reminds me of how they used to draw her. I like it.
    Don Perlin was the first artist who seriously got the costume wrong. That great cat cowl was downgraded to something that looked more appropriate for Batgirl. He also couldn't be bothered to draw claws on her feet. Unfortunately that's how she's still drawn in Iron Man. I'm hoping Tony adds some elements to her outfit. The feet claws were handy for scaling walls as shown in Claws of the Cat #1. And the cat eye lenses made her look threatening and gave her night vision.
    Last edited by kcekada; 01-05-2021 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Yeah, I suspect if anything we'll get a 4-6 part mini-series, though even that would be appreciated, compared to nothing at all.
    I agree. I'll take the mini-series, if that's all I'm offered. I'm curious as to what team fans would like to see? The last incarnation was Bendis take on basically the Netflix Defenders, which, AFAIK, completely ignored what Joe Casey was trying to do with the "Last" Defenders. I'm not counting the Ewing and company Best Defense mini-series since that really was just four completely different stories converging to take on Nebulon in one issue.

I guess it depends on what people think constitutes a Defenders team, eh?

I know, but I look at it like this: New Year, New Hope, New Promises, New Joys!
    (Actually, I try to apply that to EVERYTHING, not just comics! And especially coming off that last horrible year, this can help me to feel better)
    You're right, THINK POSITIVE!

Fantastic Member

I agree. I'll take the mini-series, if that's all I'm offered. I'm curious as to what team fans would like to see? The last incarnation was Bendis take on basically the Netflix Defenders, which, AFAIK, completely ignored what Joe Casey was trying to do with the "Last" Defenders. I'm not counting the Ewing and company Best Defense mini-series since that really was just four completely different stories converging to take on Nebulon in one issue.

I guess it depends on what people think constitutes a Defenders team, eh?

My first introduction to The Defenders was in the late 70s, so the period where Dr. Strange, Hulk, Brunnhilde, Hellcat and Nighthawk were the core mainstays of the group (well, Hulk would kind of come and go as he pleased, but still seemed to be around on a regular basis). For any sort of 50th anniversary feature that's the team I'd most like to see, add Namor and Silver Surfer for a proper callback to the original lineup, and maybe have a handful of the more prominently featured characters who cycled through during that era as well. Assuming a mini, it could be an "untold story" from that time to save on having to set up a reason for once again drawing these characters together in the present day.

Astonishing Member

Yep -- those are the classic Defenders. Namor and Surfer are bigger names than Nighthawk and Hellcat, but aside form helping to form the team, their activity in the group was minimal. While I do think Iceman would have made a great addition to the core group -- bringing in Beast, Angel and Moondragon as faux X-Men didn't work for me (or most readers). Even worse was Cloud and Manslaughter. My favorite short-term members are Luke Cage, Red Guardian II, Moon Knight, Clea and Devil-Slayer.

This would be my idea for a NEW DEFENDERS book:

CORE TEAM: Dr Strange, Hulk, Namor, Silver Surfer, Valkyrie

Major appearances: Clea, Nighthawk

Frequent Guests: Luke Cage, Red Guardian (Tonya)--maybe even now as Starlight

Team-ups/guests: Hellcat, Moondragon, Yellowjacket, Wasp

While I love all of the characters I listed above (plus others not listed here), I do not want a reproduction of what we had, but rather a continuation of what we originally had (in the first 20 issues) + what we could have had, if that theme had continued.

The Core team is powerful enough that with all of them appearing routinely, alternate members are not really necessary. However, I do like if they have allies and others that can be occasionally called in if the need arises.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 01-06-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    My first introduction to The Defenders was in the late 70s, so the period where Dr. Strange, Hulk, Brunnhilde, Hellcat and Nighthawk were the core mainstays of the group (well, Hulk would kind of come and go as he pleased, but still seemed to be around on a regular basis). For any sort of 50th anniversary feature that's the team I'd most like to see, add Namor and Silver Surfer for a proper callback to the original lineup, and maybe have a handful of the more prominently featured characters who cycled through during that era as well. Assuming a mini, it could be an "untold story" from that time to save on having to set up a reason for once again drawing these characters together in the present day.
    I agree, if it is only going to be a 50th Anniversary book, it should at the very least do a call back to the original Defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yep -- those are the classic Defenders. Namor and Surfer are bigger names than Nighthawk and Hellcat, but aside form helping to form the team, their activity in the group was minimal. While I do think Iceman would have made a great addition to the core group -- bringing in Beast, Angel and Moondragon as faux X-Men didn't work for me (or most readers). Even worse was Cloud and Manslaughter. My favorite short-term members are Luke Cage, Red Guardian II, Moon Knight, Clea and Devil-Slayer.
    Sadly, I doubt we'll get Clea.

This would be my idea for a NEW DEFENDERS book:

CORE TEAM: Dr Strange, Hulk, Namor, Silver Surfer, Valkyrie

Major appearances: Clea, Nighthawk

Frequent Guests: Luke Cage, Red Guardian (Tonya)--maybe even now as Starlight

Team-ups/guests: Hellcat, Moondragon, Yellowjacket, Wasp

While I love all of the characters I listed above (plus others not listed here), I do not want a reproduction of what we had, but rather a continuation of what we originally had (in the first 20 issues) + what we could have had, if that theme had continued.

The Core team is powerful enough that with all of them appearing routinely, alternate members are not really necessary. However, I do like if they have allies and others that can be occasionally called in if the need arises.

Personally, I put Nighthawk up there with Val.

I highly recommend last year's TAROT if folks like the early Defenders. It even had some of the quirky aspects of later issues with the cartoon adversaries.

After thinking about it a bit, I'm wondering if making The Defenders a supernatural team, I mean more than it usually was, would work for modern audiences?

After thinking about it a bit, I'm wondering if making The Defenders a supernatural team, I mean more than it usually was, would work for modern audiences?
    Well, they did have a number of issues much later in the original run that had supernatural themes and featured Dracula, Ghost Rider and Son of Satan. Even a "Six-Fingered-Hand", lol! (I did not like this story as it severed Nighthawk's power, rendering him paralyzed during the days.). I guess they could add Man-Thing and Brother Voodoo for a modern supernatural feel. But I think GR is with the Avengers. Dracula would have his modern look. I dunno.....?

To me, after issue #50, the stories got more away from my liking and the "feeling of Classic Defenders". I would like a new book to take a stab at reproducing the magic (but not necessarily the feel as that might not be possible today) of the original team.

Core Team Cage, Fist, Jones and Daredevil

Bench or part time etc
    Spiderman
    Misty and Colleen
    Blade
    Dr. Strange
    Damien
    Hellcat

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Defenders for a modern audience should definitely have more magical shenanigan's than Avengers! My dream Defenders line up would be:
    - Doctor Strange
    - Hulk/Banner
    - Namor
    - Valkyrie
    - Hellcat
    with appearances by Silver Surfer.

I would want them to really get into the magical side of Marvel again, go crazy with AU world hopping, defending against magical threats, time travel, and more fun trips to the grocery store lol. Namor might get banned for not having shoes or a shirt XD I really love dysfunctional functional teams that work because they bring together different elements of their personalities and powers to save the day. I would want them to not get into cosmic stuff so much, hence why only a few appearances by Surfer.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis