Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Defenders for a modern audience should definitely have more magical shenanigan's than Avengers! My dream Defenders line up would be:
    - Doctor Strange
    - Hulk/Banner
    - Namor
    - Valkyrie
    - Hellcat
    with appearances by Silver Surfer.

I would want them to really get into the magical side of Marvel again, go crazy with AU world hopping, defending against magical threats, time travel, and more fun trips to the grocery store lol. Namor might get banned for not having shoes or a shirt XD I really love dysfunctional functional teams that work because they bring together different elements of their personalities and powers to save the day. I would want them to not get into cosmic stuff so much, hence why only a few appearances by Surfer.
    Hahaha, yes, and Hulk would also be store-banned for the same reason. SS would be banned for being "naked" too, lol!

Astonishing Member

The Gerber era of Defenders was a lot of fun. And, of course, Janson inking Buscema was magic -- some of Buscema's best work was on this series. The issues just before and just after were good as well. The series really went off the rails when Ed Hannigan stopped drawing and started writing. The DeMatteis period was so so -- would have benefited from a different art team. I mean Joe Sinnott was great on classic Fantastic Four, but his inks weren't appropriate for the creepy Six-Fingered Hand storyline.

If the series did return -- I don't want it to be tongue in cheek the way Giffen did if last decade, but I'd want it be looser and a bit more fun than Avengers.

Incredible Member

I actually really liked Matt Fraction's run. It gave them a reason for being a team. It had classic members, plus added Iron Fist, who seemed to be a perfect fit for the team. I also loved the little notes at the bottom of the pages that were reminiscent of Marvel books published in the seventies.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Been busy and forgot to post this. An amazing Val variant cover by ArtGerm!

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The Gerber era of Defenders was a lot of fun. And, of course, Janson inking Buscema was magic -- some of Buscema's best work was on this series. The issues just before and just after were good as well. The series really went off the rails when Ed Hannigan stopped drawing and started writing. The DeMatteis period was so so -- would have benefited from a different art team. I mean Joe Sinnott was great on classic Fantastic Four, but his inks weren't appropriate for the creepy Six-Fingered Hand storyline.

If the series did return -- I don't want it to be tongue in cheek the way Giffen did if last decade, but I'd want it be looser and a bit more fun than Avengers.

I think this was an ongoing problem with the Defenders later issues. It really need better / more appropriate art.

I loved the Giffen, DeMatteis, Maguire mini-series, but I understand it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Maybe a little less bwhwahahah and more supernatural?

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I actually really liked Matt Fraction's run. It gave them a reason for being a team. It had classic members, plus added Iron Fist, who seemed to be a perfect fit for the team. I also loved the little notes at the bottom of the pages that were reminiscent of Marvel books published in the seventies.
    I LOVED that too in the Fraction Defenders! A great touch. I haven't re-read it, but I think, in retrospect, that I would agree with you. Fraction's Defenders had the quirky and a good mix of the Defenders characters -- though I really feel it should have Val and/or Nighthawk, but he got tapped for the Inhumans and seemed to lose interest in this complicated, multi-year plot he set up. It was completely rushed and unfulfilling in the end.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Been busy and forgot to post this. An amazing Val variant cover by ArtGerm!

You gave me a great present today, Rev! I say "Thank you kindly!"

This is one of the best Val's I have ever seen--from the black of the costume, to all of the detailed silvery aspects (including neck and upper arm bands which are all sometimes forgotten), her lithe yet muscular form, to the blue flowing cape, to Brunhilde's steely blue eyes to her lovely long blonde pigtails!

I also love the stormy background on top with the fiery background below.

Yay! Return of the Valkyries, return my Valkyrie to me, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    You gave me a great present today, Rev! I say "Thank you kindly!"

This is one of the best Val's I have ever seen--from the black of the costume, to all of the detailed silvery aspects (including neck and upper arm bands which are all sometimes forgotten), her lithe yet muscular form, to the blue flowing cape, to Brunhilde's steely blue eyes to her lovely long blonde pigtails!

I also love the stormy background on top with the fiery background below.

Yay! Return of the Valkyries, return my Valkyrie to me, lol!

As soon as I saw it, I thought of you.

I do think it is a great portrayal of classic Val. I think he even got Dragonfang right. But I LOVE her expression here.

As soon as I saw it, I thought of you.

I do think it is a great portrayal of classic Val. I think he even got Dragonfang right. But I LOVE her expression here.
    Aww, that is nice! I appreciate the thought, my friend.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

[CENTER]
    image from comicsandscifi
    For me, this is the perfect Defenders line-up, with one noticable exception. I'd trade Beast for Devil-Slayer. I've always associated Beast more with the New Defenders than with the original group.

See, Beast is more like the first member of the New Defenders (even if Val had been with the team forever). I actually liked quite a lot the New Defenders fase, even if they started strong (sort of like a first draft of the West Coast Avengers, which made sense, considering that Beast was leading the charge) against Professor Power and the Secret Empire, but then shifted gears and begun to deal more with wierd stuff that seemed to revolve around the members themselves. I always find that super-teams need to have enemies that inspire awe and respect, otherwise them always seem to end in a rut. In the end, though I did like them, the New Defenders left that bad taste of unfulfilled potential that so many failed teams seem to leave.

Peace

Astonishing Member

New Defenders did get... weird. Yeah, I agree that Devil-Slayer was the last to join when the book was still very good. Moondragon, Beast and even Iceman could have been great Defenders -- just not at the same time. They were obviously playing off the popularity of X-Men -- but without the great writing and art -- the new lineup went nowhere fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    New Defenders did get... weird. Yeah, I agree that Devil-Slayer was the last to join when the book was still very good. Moondragon, Beast and even Iceman could have been great Defenders -- just not at the same time. They were obviously playing off the popularity of X-Men -- but without the great writing and art -- the new lineup went nowhere fast.
    Yeah....and it felt sloppy and contrived using them, since I followed the series from the beginning. I did not like the stories, feel nor art at this point.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Todd Nauck does these wonderful Post It Notes headshots and here's a few he tagged as Classic Defenders. Hulk was one also, but forum's 3 image.

https://twitter.com/ToddNauck/status...823054341?s=20

Todd Nauck does these wonderful Post It Notes headshots and here's a few he tagged as Classic Defenders. Hulk was one also, but forum's 3 image.

https://twitter.com/ToddNauck/status...823054341?s=20
    Very cool!

Peace

I need me the Val one!

Man, those are GREAT!