Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Marvel’s Doctor Strange turns to tarot for new ‘Defenders’ lineup

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/02/09/ma...enders-lineup/

Marvel Comics has released artwork by Javier Rodríguez for a new series starting this summer called Defenders. Not much information was given on the new series, but one could surmise from the teaser text Doctor Strange is attempting to put together a new team as it reads: WHO WILL ANSWER DOCTOR STRANGE’S CALL TO BE… THE NEW DEFENDERS!

Also, look to the tarot cards in the art and you’ll find numerous familiar characters like Namor, Hulk, Beast, Valkyrie, and Elisabeth Ross in her Red Hulk form.

Might this project involve Al Ewing who introduced the Eternity Mask in Marvel Comics #1000? In that comic the Eternity Masked man was a key element and was teased quite a bit elsewhere as well. The solicit for that comic asked, “What is the Eternity Mask? And who is responsible for the conspiracy to keep it hidden?”

Likely we’ll find out more information soon.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

AWESOME news! And what a great cover. I need to get our Tarot reader to help me out with these cards. Hulk looks like the Tower, and Namor as the Emperor. Cloud as the Lovers? Not sure about Moondragon and Beast.

It's great to see the old team on the cover, but I'm not holding my breath that we get any of them.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Oddly enough, I was kind of hoping to see Jane foster on this team; I kind of imagine a romance with dr. strange.

I am 'our' Tarot reader, why thank you. Let me take a look.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Marvel’s Doctor Strange turns to tarot for new ‘Defenders’ lineup

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/02/09/ma...enders-lineup/

Pretty and interesting to me. I think Reviresco got most of them right. Moondragon is Arcane XVII, The Moon. The Beast is XVIII, the Sun. I'm not familiar with more recent team configurations so I didn't know Red She-Hulk was on one. II is the High Priestess. It is interesting to note VI, The Lovers, with 'Cloud' the trans sort of character as a duo? Noting clouds too. And The Surfer is XX Judgement
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Hi Oberon. Thanks for interpreting these tarot.

Would Valkyrie represent Death?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Masked Raider is there, this must be Al Ewing, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Oddly enough, I was kind of hoping to see Jane foster on this team; I kind of imagine a romance with dr. strange.
    That would be interesting. Or a recurring character in that vein. Also Son of Satan in the upper left, is XV, which is The Devil. But no love for Hellcat?

what number would she be? Probably not one of of these, the Major Arcana. I think of Queen of Wands, because most versions have the little black cat sitting by the Queen.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hi Oberon. Thanks for interpreting these tarot.

Would Valkyrie represent Death?
    XIII is indeed Death. I may be missing something? or the dual nature thing?
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    XIII is indeed Death. I may be missing something? or the dual nature thing?
    Thanks.

Also, Nighthawk is missing, and he was one of the early Defenders. But maybe is he dead now?

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks.

Also, Nighthawk is missing, and he was one of the early Defenders. But maybe is he dead now?
    I truly can't keep up anymore. Lack of consistency etc.

I'm from a classic era, mid to late '70s, so Nighthawk, Hellcat, Strange, Hulk, Namor, eventually others.

I can't remember following a short mini or story in 10 or so years, perhaps.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I truly can't keep up anymore. Lack of consistency etc.

I'm from a classic era, mid to late '70s, so Nighthawk, Hellcat, Strange, Hulk, Namor, eventually others.

I can't remember following a short mini or story in 10 or so years, perhaps.
    Yes, I know what you mean.

I heard there is going to be a new Squadron Supreme book, so maybe he was drafted there?

I would like the Surfer to be included too since he was one of the initial characters. A good writer can find lots of ways to incorporate these powerful characters who all have differing abilities. The team up of them is what makes it so interesting to me (especially those early Defenders years.......ah, well, one can dream.......).

I guess that is the thing when you use Tarot Cards and try to relate them to Defenders - - there's enough cards, even for minor/type characters if you work from the Major Arcana - the Trumps as they may be know - towards the Minor Arcana, the numbered 'pips' of 4 suits, with 4 Court cards usually.

But let's look at the Major Arcana we don't have or have seen, and maybe a blank to fill in?

0, is usually The Fool, a sort of protagonist, so that is this Masked Raider

I, the Magician would be Dr Strange

then we jump to

III The Empress -

then to

V - The Hierophant (a priest type analog)

then to

VII - The Chariot
    VIII - Strength
    iX - The Hermit
    XI - Justice
    XII - The Hanged Man

then to

XiV - Temperance

then to

XVII - The Star

and finally XXI, The World

so which of the remaining Defenders would you appoint to a card/archetype?

then to

XV
    ~ Oberon ~

It is tempting to consider Clea as a defacto Defender and consider her either as The Star, XVII, or the Empress, III, given her once role with the Defenders and as Dr. Strange's mate.

Then likewise, Wong, Strange's faithful servant, as V, the Hierophant.

Still can't see Hellcat per the above. Oh, what a bored mind comes up with!
    ~ Oberon ~

Well, here goes an attempt, lol.

3 - Empress: Could this be the Enchantress? Or Clea?

5 - Priest: Not Damon who is #15; ,maybe Firebird who was once La Espirtita (even though I do not think she was ever a member of the Defenders)?

8 - Strength: Namor, whose # we cannot see

9 - Hermit: Red Guardian now known as Starlight

11/12: Justice/Hanged Man; I think either could fit Nighthawk and Doc Pym as Yellowjacket

What does 2 (Red She-Hulk), 15 (Damon), 16 (Hulk), 18 (Moondragon) and 20 (SS) mean?
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 02-09-2021 at 01:06 PM.