Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Disaster View Post
    Quick search on a handful of sites and this seems to be the general, simplified explanation: "The Death Tarot Card usually signifies spiritual transformation and a time of change and new beginnings, not actual death!" So if this is applied to the cover, it could indicate that Brunnhilde is likely not the Valkyrie who will appear in the book, at least that's my take.
    For the modern reader such as myself, whether Pagan or not, Death card may mean great physical changes/change of course, but not physical death. Judgement may more likely mean a spiritual transformation. So either can contain some sense of each other. Sorry I couldn't weigh in earlier, but your summation is good.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Thank you kindly and glad if I can help.

Tarot/archetypes is one of the things that makes me look at the Namor/Sue relationship differently from some of you (looks around for the groans)

But at any rate. Sun is a good card for Beast; intellect, knowledge, learning. He tends to be portrayed as more of a learner, learning new things, than some of the others, or maybe it just strikes me that way (academic-ish) Reed, Tony, others all learn beyond their 'scope' too, but this really works for Beast as Defender. Also 'finding out' is a meaning of the Sun. Light clearing up darkness kind of thing.

another thought of Valk as Death, yeah, you hit that well, chooser of the slain. In Tarot context, the usual depiction shows, kings, common folks and priest types all falling before death, so the idea is more like "no one gets out alive", no one cheats death. Except the Valkyrie?
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What is the Brotherhood of Shield of the Time? Is that something Ewing is doing?
    Ugh, I meant for a time. It's Hickman's stuff from his Secret Warriors and SHIELD. It's a secret organisation protecting Earth since ancient times and was responsible for founding SHIELD and SPEAR.

I want Iceman to be a part of this group, regardless, especially if he gets to interact with the older-school members.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Thank you kindly and glad if I can help.

Tarot/archetypes is one of the things that makes me look at the Namor/Sue relationship differently from some of you (looks around for the groans)

But at any rate. Sun is a good card for Beast; intellect, knowledge, learning. He tends to be portrayed as more of a learner, learning new things, than some of the others, or maybe it just strikes me that way (academic-ish) Reed, Tony, others all learn beyond their 'scope' too, but this really works for Beast as Defender. Also 'finding out' is a meaning of the Sun. Light clearing up darkness kind of thing.

another thought of Valk as Death, yeah, you hit that well, chooser of the slain. In Tarot context, the usual depiction shows, kings, common folks and priest types all falling before death, so the idea is more like "no one gets out alive", no one cheats death. Except the Valkyrie?
    Wouldn't the Death card also be representing Change or Transformation? Death is a transformation or end of cycle, so Valkyrie being on the Death might mean she brings change not as a harbinger of doom.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

I have to admit that Iceman and Angel the first time around, was not that special. To me.

But if plot calls for Dr. Strange to be involved it most likely will involve at least 2 of the 3 originals; Namor, Hulk and Surfer. Namor should easily be involved. I don't know the current status quo of Hulk so he most likely won't be in this. Surfer is a possible.

Beyond these mandates, yes

wouldn't it be awesome if Kyle were back? To me the favorite iteration was Nighthawk, Hellcat, Hulk, Namor, Valkyrie, Strange.
    ~ Oberon ~

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I was chatting with some mutuals online to see what the cards meant so I could post it on my Defenders blog* and this is what we came up with.

Characters / Tarot Cards and their meanings

Hulk - Tower : Drastic change / Risks / Looming Disaster

Namor - The Emperor : Assertive / Action / Confidence

Silver Surfer - Judgement : Reflection / Reckoning / Awakening

Valkyrie - Death : Change / Transformation / End of Cycle

Harpy - High Priestess : Intuitive / Unconscious / Inner voice

Damian Hellstrom - The Devil : Addiction / Materialism / Playfulness

Beast - Sun : Joy / Success / Celebration

Cloud - The Lovers : Partnerships / Duality / Union

Moon Dragon - Moon : Unconscious / Illusions / Intuition

(*It's a new blog barely a month or so old, and I made a twitter to go along with it. I had been planning on rereading all the Defenders comics as my celebration of their 50th this year)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Just saw the news about the new Defenders book...
    Saw the cover featuring a mix of the classic and classic New Defenders...
    Got excited.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Thanks for that. I like the idea of Red She Hulk who is a harpy too, though I've not seen this. Can sum up Betty's path to Harpy?
    At one point, way back in 1973 (Incredible Hulk #168), she was transformed into Harpy. She was cured of that, and in 2009 (Hulk vol 2 #15) became Red She-Hulk. Bruce as Doc Green depowered all of the other Hulks except for Jennifer Walters (Hulk vol 3 #8, 2014). But then, in Immortal Hulk #16 (2019), she was killed. Turns out her powers were dormant (and Hulks can't be killed), and both mutations reactivated, turning her into Red Harpy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Very awesome. Great great
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    At one point, way back in 1973 (Incredible Hulk #168), she was transformed into Harpy. She was cured of that, and in 2009 (Hulk vol 2 #15) became Red She-Hulk. Bruce as Doc Green depowered all of the other Hulks except for Jennifer Walters (Hulk vol 3 #8, 2014). But then, in Immortal Hulk #16 (2019), she was killed. Turns out her powers were dormant (and Hulks can't be killed), and both mutations reactivated, turning her into Red Harpy.
    Oh Wow! You reminded me of her original Harpy form. I had forgot. That was my near my regular era of Hulk reading and remember it referred to but I kind of missed the initial. I'm so-so on Hulk, but mostly okay. so that is Red Harpy.

Thanks!
    ~ Oberon ~

I wonder if the Red Harpy is more powerful than original Harpy or Red She-Hulk form? Does she still have her hell-bolts (Harpy Blasts)?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I wasn't aware they'd announced a new Defenders book. I am... skeptical.
    https://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress...easerImage.jpg

That said - I collected Defenders, originally back in the day... from issue #1. All the way through 152. And I have to say - to me, it got 200% better with #124 going forward that gave us...
    Angel, Iceman, Beast, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, Moon Dragon - and eventually Cloud, Andromeda and Manslaughter.

So glad that Marvel finally got around to completing this on their Digital Comics side.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I wasn't aware they'd announced a new Defenders book. I am... skeptical.
    https://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress...easerImage.jpg

That said - I collected Defenders, originally back in the day... from issue #1. All the way through 152. And I have to say - to me, it got 200% better with #124 going forward that gave us...
    Angel, Iceman, Beast, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, Moon Dragon - and eventually Cloud, Andromeda and Manslaughter.

So glad that Marvel finally got around to completing this on their Digital Comics side.
    That latter run was not my favorite, but I collected and read them all too. I always favored the team with Hellcat, Hulk, Namor, Strange, Valk
    ~ Oberon ~

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

I have to admit that Iceman and Angel the first time around, was not that special. To me.

But if plot calls for Dr. Strange to be involved it most likely will involve at least 2 of the 3 originals; Namor, Hulk and Surfer. Namor should easily be involved. I don't know the current status quo of Hulk so he most likely won't be in this. Surfer is a possible.
    Was the Surfer one of the original Defenders? I always thought that Dr Strange,the Sub-Mariner and the Hulk were the 3 original members