Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm a little worried about the portrayal of Ben in ASM 75, let's hope they don't go the full smug corporate puppet too deeply

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I'm a little worried about the portrayal of Ben in ASM 75, let's hope they don't go the full smug corporate puppet too deeply
    Yeah. His portrayal was leaps and bounds above whatever evil/sleazy personality Slott and PAD imposed on the character, but it still wasn’t perfect. I think a lot of us are willing to forgive the smugness (i.e: “I got this, they’re paying me stupid money”) because a 70% faithful interpretation of Ben is better than a 20% one. That said, hopefully they don’t make Ben too by-the-numbers as a corporate suit or a sellout. I’d rather Ben rebel against Beyond himself rather than Peter recovers and Beyond makes Ben fight Peter as their representative (that would be really disappointing and way too predictable).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah. His portrayal was leaps and bounds above whatever evil/sleazy personality Slott and PAD imposed on the character, but it still wasn’t perfect. I think a lot of us are willing to forgive the smugness (i.e: “I got this, they’re paying me stupid money”) because a 70% faithful interpretation of Ben is better than a 20% one. That said, hopefully they don’t make Ben too by-the-numbers as a corporate suit or a sellout. I’d rather Ben rebel against Beyond himself rather than Peter recovers and Beyond makes Ben fight Peter as their representative (that would be really disappointing and way too predictable).
    Is like they don't want the new readers to like Ben.
    On the other hand, they're doing the JMD mini, so I'm in state of flux between worried and hopeful

Extraordinary Member

Is like they don't want the new readers to like Ben.
    On the other hand, they're doing the JMD mini, so I'm in state of flux between worried and hopeful
    Agreed, it's very conflicting.That JMD mini tells me that it's just the writing by Zeb and he's not evil.Unless the mini adds to Beyond's back story as well.....

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Agreed, it's very conflicting.That JMD mini tells me that it's just the writing by Zeb and he's not evil.Unless the mini adds to Beyond's back story as well.....
    Considering Ashley Kafka's involvement in Beyond, JMD's Ben Reilly: Spider-Man could well lay the foundation for how the Beyond Corporation ends up turning to her to rehabilitate Ben so he can be their Spider-Man going forward.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Considering Ashley Kafka's involvement in Beyond, JMD's Ben Reilly: Spider-Man could well lay the foundation for how the Beyond Corporation ends up turning to her to rehabilitate Ben so he can be their Spider-Man going forward.
    Yeah, but aside from I think JMD will show an heroic Ben.

On another note, Kaine made Ben's life a living hell and he's pretty much treated with respect from Peter. And painted as the voice of good in the PAD SS series. I don't think Kaine has payed his dues to be treated as the morally superior.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, but aside from I think JMD will show an heroic Ben.

On another note, Kaine made Ben's life a living hell and he's pretty much treated with respect from Peter. And painted as the voice of good in the PAD SS series. I don't think Kaine has payed his dues to be treated as the morally superior.
    A fair point, and even Ben called him on it in PAD's Scarlet Spider, as Kaine's answer to the trauma and damage Ben caused in Clone Conspiracy was to just hunt him down and kill him outright. Then again, Kaine, at least in his Scarlet Spider series, didn't consider himself a hero and was under no illusions about what sort of monster he'd been once, while Ben was (at first) struggling to justify his prior actions, even as his conscience --- represented as his old, heroic self --- was pushing back against those justifications.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 10-10-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think it's

1)The clone thing.She's one now to and could get info from him IG
    2)Beyond wants her to stabalize his mental state while also making him believe Beyond is the right thing

So it's a 2(possibly 3) for 1

Astonishing Member

Has Dan Jurgens softened on Ben Reilly?

Despite writing some of the very best Ben Reilly stories in ‘Sensational’ and seemingly nailing his voice (up there with JM DeMatteis and Todd Dezago), Jurgens disliked Ben and left ‘Sensational’ abruptly when he found out they were extending the Clone Saga.

But he came back and is doing an alternate cover of Beyond Ben for #79!

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedanjur...23682304053254

EDB01629-9BC0-4940-A210-693FD1E52A4B.jpg
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-16-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Mighty Member

Despite writing some of the very best Ben Reilly stories in ‘Sensational’ and seemingly nailing his voice (up there with JM DeMatteis and Todd Dezago), Jurgens disliked Ben and left ‘Sensational’ abruptly when he found out they were extending the Clone Saga.

Not only has 27 years passed since the start of the clone saga (it’s publication date is the same month I was born), but there was a lot of burnout with the staff at the time. Time and retrospect would have healed those wounds.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Not only has 27 years passed since the start of the clone saga (it’s publication date is the same month I was born), but there was a lot of burnout with the staff at the time. Time and retrospect would have healed those wounds.
    Yeah, and it's also clear Ben isn't here as a permanent replacement for Peter or the "real" Peter.That and decades of time should mean they'll be fine.

Jurgens departure really sucked, and it had the awful irony of occurring surely within a month or so that it was decided Reilly would die and Parker would be back permanently. I still don't love this suit as much but Jurgens art is still superb and its fantastic to see him drawing this character he helped define once again!!

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Ben Reilly Off With His Hood.jpg
    A hopeful image I was inspired to draw of our guy ditching the hood and ready to save the friendly neighborhood!

Astonishing Member

I want a scene where he tries to find the Daily Grind only to discover it’s been replaced by a Starbucks.

Extraordinary Member

I want a scene where he tries to find the Daily Grind only to discover it’s been replaced by a Starbucks.
    YES PLEASE, it'll hurt so bad though.And it's always starbucks too