Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Hmm.

Peter Parker: Amazing, Spectacular, etc
    Miles Morales, the Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ock, the Superior Spider-Man

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN BEYOND

Could this be Ben's new long-term status in the Marvel Universe? And if so, what might it mean to be the Spider-Man Beyond?

-Pav, who could see space or interdimensional stuff...
    Not for me. I don’t want Ben jetting off in space fighting inter-dimensional aliens. That’s about the complete opposite of what I want from a Ben Reilly book. If I want something like that I’ll read ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ or ‘Silver Surfer.’ A Ben book should be simple. Just put him on the road again having street-level adventures in different cities. It can be an anthology book where each creative team gives us a different story of him fighting mobsters or obscure second tier super villains (like Raptor or Wild Whip) in different areas of America, with occasional appearances by Kaine as either a friend or foe depending on the time frame. That’s really what I’ve always wanted; an on-the-road Ben book, either taking place in the present or taking place during his lost years.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 07-01-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Hmm.

Peter Parker: Amazing, Spectacular, etc
    Miles Morales, the Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ock, the Superior Spider-Man

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN BEYOND

Could this be Ben's new long-term status in the Marvel Universe? And if so, what might it mean to be the Spider-Man Beyond?

-Pav, who could see space or interdimensional stuff...
    I hope ock gets a heroic sacrifice rather than get revived.

I mean if he makes it out I can see that

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Not for me. I don’t want Ben jetting off in space fighting inter-dimensional aliens. That’s about the complete opposite of what I want from a Ben Reilly book. If I want something like that I’ll read ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ or ‘Silver Surfer.’ A Ben book should be simple. Just put him on the road again having street-level adventures in different cities. It can be an anthology book where each creative team gives us a different story of him fighting mobsters or obscure second tier super villains (like Raptor or Wild Whip) in different areas of America, with occasional appearances by Kaine as either a friend or foe depending on the time frame. That’s really what I’ve always wanted; an on-the-road Ben book, either taking place in the present or taking place during his lost years.
    Oh I agree 100% with all of this.

But *cue the Rolling Stones*

-Pav, who will enjoy what he gets...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    And Curt's son...is that Dylan?
    Then there is Eddie's son, name escapes me.

In the case of Eddie but especially the FF, if they can have kids and be important in-universe characters and commercially viable then so can Peter.
    However, I'm all in for some more Ben as Spider-man. Especially if part of the narrative is to push him as a continual part of the MU, somewhere in some title.
    Curt's son is Billy Connors and Eddie's son is named Dylan. That said, speaking of the FF, Franklin and Valeria Richards are in their early-to-mid-teens now because they spent at least five years outside the normal flow of time and space with their parents rebuilding and cataloguing the Marvel Multiverse after Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Good catch.

Costume coloured in full:

I like!
    Thanks, and same.

Generally agreed, though I'm still waiting for the story behind his first encounter with D'Spayre, referenced when D'Spayre attacked him and Peter after the s***storm that was Maximum Clonage. And hell, it's my personal canon that Ben's insanity in The Clone Conspiracy and afterwards was a byproduct of D'Spayre tormenting him in revenge for his earlier defeat and not just the result of the Jackal's torturous repeated killings and resurrections.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Honestly, the whole multiple death and recloning him over and over didn’t bother me. When they established that it was a new process, and even in the Scarlet Spider series, when the went above and beyond to establish that it’s still the same Ben with having the same soul… just fractured. It just helped add to the tragedy that is Ben Reilly. I personally enjoyed his redemption story… up until the last 5 issues of that run. So I’m probably in the minority that hopes that it is 616 Ben, buuuuuuut, I would not be upset if it were the be the Ben Reilly we got in that three issue mini-series a few years back, that teamed up with Jessica and Kaine.

Heck, I would actually like to read another story about the version of Ben from the 6 issue mini-series, the Clone Saga from a few years back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Honestly, the whole multiple death and recloning him over and over didn’t bother me. When they established that it was a new process, and even in the Scarlet Spider series, when the went above and beyond to establish that it’s still the same Ben with having the same soul… just fractured. It just helped add to the tragedy that is Ben Reilly. I personally enjoyed his redemption story… up until the last 5 issues of that run. So I’m probably in the minority that hopes that it is 616 Ben, buuuuuuut, I would not be upset if it were the be the Ben Reilly we got in that three issue mini-series a few years back, that teamed up with Jessica and Kaine.

Heck, I would actually like to read another story about the version of Ben from the 6 issue mini-series, the Clone Saga from a few years back too.
    Same. Maybe a team-up of multiple versions of Ben Reilly could work, too.

Saw some more preview images. Okay, I'm digging the new look. And there seems to be a legit reason for Ben to take over. Maybe Ben as Spider-Man could work. Maybe Ben could redeem himself, not just in comics, but also wash away the bad aspects of the Clone Saga and the PAD Scarlet Spider series.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Saw some more preview images. Okay, I'm digging the new look. And there seems to be a legit reason for Ben to take over. Maybe Ben as Spider-Man could work. Maybe Ben could redeem himself, not just in comics, but also wash away the bad aspects of the Clone Saga and the PAD Scarlet Spider series.
    The Clone Saga itself might have been an ungodly, unwieldy mess orchestrated for the sole purpose of "getting back" a swinging single Spider-Man, but to me, it was The Clone Conspiracy that really dragged Ben down as a character, along with how its aftermath was addressed in PAD's Scarlet Spider, as you said. That said, also hoping for some semblance of redemption here for Ben.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Do you mean they released new images, or you mean the ones that have been floating around for a week? If they’re new, then link please.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The Clone Saga itself might have been an ungodly, unwieldy mess orchestrated for the sole purpose of "getting back" a swinging single Spider-Man, but to me, it was The Clone Conspiracy that really dragged Ben down as a character, along with how its aftermath was addressed in PAD's Scarlet Spider, as you said. That said, also hoping for some semblance of redemption here for Ben.
    I agree here. I actually enjoy a fair bit of the Clone Saga, though some parts of it are objectively terrible in a way that isn't surprising when you read about what was happening behind the scenes. And honestly, had they left it at that I'd have been ok. Ben got a good showing, and a great heroic death. I've wanted him back ever since, but I always feared the Monkey's Paw. And Slott absolutely did Ben dirty in Clone Conspiracy. PAD's follow up series I liked, until that final issue. I thought there was some interesting exploration of Ben's trauma, and his road back towards something more himself. But then the shock ending really kicked Reilly fans in the face. It might not have been so bad if there had been follow-up, but there wasn't.

I guess Spider-Geddon kind of handwaved away the problems with the quote-unquote reset. But hopefully Beyond actually has something to say about Ben that isn't so negative and twisted as so many of the stories have been since his return. I hate to say I'd rather my #2 all time favorite Marvel character had stayed dead, but I can't help but feel that way just a bit where Ben is concerned. Redemption would be lovely, even if it's brief.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I agree here. I actually enjoy a fair bit of the Clone Saga, though some parts of it are objectively terrible in a way that isn't surprising when you read about what was happening behind the scenes. And honestly, had they left it at that I'd have been ok. Ben got a good showing, and a great heroic death. I've wanted him back ever since, but I always feared the Monkey's Paw. And Slott absolutely did Ben dirty in Clone Conspiracy. PAD's follow up series I liked, until that final issue. I thought there was some interesting exploration of Ben's trauma, and his road back towards something more himself. But then the shock ending really kicked Reilly fans in the face. It might not have been so bad if there had been follow-up, but there wasn't.

I guess Spider-Geddon kind of handwaved away the problems with the quote-unquote reset. But hopefully Beyond actually has something to say about Ben that isn't so negative and twisted as so many of the stories have been since his return. I hate to say I'd rather my #2 all time favorite Marvel character had stayed dead, but I can't help but feel that way just a bit where Ben is concerned. Redemption would be lovely, even if it's brief.
    Cosigned. And yeah, that does kind of bring to mind Stephen King's famous line from Pet Sematary: "Sometimes, dead is better."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Cosigned. And yeah, that does kind of bring to mind Stephen King's famous line from Pet Sematary: "Sometimes, dead is better."
    Harvey Dent: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain."

Or "better to burn out than fade away."

Yes, many quotes would fit poor Ben's fate.

Amazing Member

Harvey Dent: "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain."

Or "better to burn out than fade away."

Yes, many quotes would fit poor Ben's fate.
    Why didn't they do Kaine as Spiderman?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan84 View Post
    Why didn't they do Kaine as Spiderman?
    Because we already went the anti-hero route with Ock.

Incredible Member

Anyone else hoping for a confrontation between Ben and Norman with Kaine possibly involved as well? I feel like if this isn't some other alternate version of Ben this is the one thing i want most out of "Beyond" for however long it lasts outside of just Ben being written well and differentiating him from Peter in subtle ways.

Also if we do get a confrontation i hope it's not with current goody two shoes Norman.