Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

The spider-sense thing aside, I think Cantwell did a good job finding Ben's voice. His dialogue felt authentic.

Also, I tweeted with Cantwell a bit the other day. He told me Ben's appearing in Iron Man simply because he loves the character.

-Pav, who was stoked to hear it...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The spider-sense thing aside, I think Cantwell did a good job finding Ben's voice. His dialogue felt authentic.

Also, I tweeted with Cantwell a bit the other day. He told me Ben's appearing in Iron Man simply because he loves the character.

That's awesome news.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That’s not quite what he said. He had said that he assumed it was going off because they were about to run into some henchman or Korvak himself rather than the threat he was being warned about being a bomb. So it wasn’t a matter of it being depicted wrong, just Ben assuming a different threat than what it was.
    A fair point there, and the same thing has happened with Peter in the past, so it's not like we can hold this against Ben or the writer.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Not really a big spoiler, but Ben survived the explosion in Iron-Man #5. He also gets more screen time in Iron-Man #6. Although there’s not really any cool clone saga Easter eggs, the writer seems pretty respectful of Ben as a character. He’s not treated as a joke and is shown to be pretty righteous and selfless like a hero should act. The only minor nitpick is his spider sense isn’t quite depicted correctly (Ben was saved from the explosion by another character. When yet another character asks him why his SS didn’t warn him, he says it was too distracted by the other henchmen on their tails to detect the bomb. In actuality, both Peter and Ben’s SS has been shown in the past to be a lot more sensitive and able to distinguish between specific threats... like I said, no biggie.)

I haven't read this issue or the prior one for that matter because I get Iron Man through a subscription and the issues take forever to reach me due to COVID wreaking havoc with the USPS but all this sounds great and hopefully there's more writers out there like Cantwell who like the character and want to utilize him in however big or small a capacity there is available so long as it's a more positive than the PAD run.

Astonishing Member

Yes, I didn’t mean to make a big deal about the spider sense. I was overall very happy with the respectful way Ben was portrayed. If Cantwell likes the character, I’d be interested in him doing a Ben series one day. The problem with PAD was he’s a good writer (well... most of the time), but he had no love for Ben and no understanding of him and he was kind of given the book instead of wanting to be on it.

Astonishing Member

http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...98&postcount=1

preview for next week Iron-man with appearance by Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...98&postcount=1

preview for next week Iron-man with appearance by Ben
    Thanks for sharing. Some funny banter there.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Some funny banter there.
    The darker shading on Ben's costume looks so good. And the shape of the eye lenses is excellent as well.

-Pav, who wants this exact creative team on Scarlet Spiders Unlimited!...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

The darker shading on Ben's costume looks so good. And the shape of the eye lenses is excellent as well.

It's like the first time the costume has really looked the way it should since its original 90s appearances.

Astonishing Member

I really don't get why people complain about Cantwell's run. Granted, I'm not a huge IM reader (although I have read his classic arcs like Armor Wars, Demon in a Bottle, Extremis, etc.), but from the few issues I've read with Scarlet it seems like a solid and engaging story arc. I started just picking this up for Ben, but now I am genuinely interested in the other characters and story. Heck, maybe I'll keep reading even after Ben's guest role ends.

Astonishing Member

I really don't get why people complain about Cantwell's run. Granted, I'm not a huge IM reader (although I have read his classic arcs like Armor Wars, Demon in a Bottle, Extremis, etc.), but from the few issues I've read with Scarlet it seems like a solid and engaging story arc. I started just picking this up for Ben, but now I am genuinely interested in the other characters and story. Heck, maybe I'll keep reading even after Ben's guest role ends.
    might have something to do with they way he portrayed Cardiac in issue 2 or 3, he was a domestic terrorist who was willing to kill innocents which rubbed people the wrong way, athough Cantell's Dr Doom 10 issue series was nominated of a Eisner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    might have something to do with they way he portrayed Cardiac in issue 2 or 3, he was a domestic terrorist who was willing to kill innocents which rubbed people the wrong way, athough Cantell's Dr Doom 10 issue series was nominated of a Eisner.
    Besides Cardiac, some people have an issue with how Cantwell has chosen to address the longstanding flaws, such as they are, in Tony Stark's character and methods by having almost everyone in-series constantly questioning his character and the motives behind his actions. Granted, if Tony had had some semblance of a reality check on how his actions and methods were coming off to people, maybe stuff like Armor Wars (to say nothing of later things like Civil War, which also screwed over Spider-Man in a big way) wouldn't have happened or could have been mitigated. Going back to Cardiac, yeah, portraying the anti-hero who'd always fought against corrupt corporate actors who used their wealth, power, and influence to skirt the law and avoid due punishment for ruining the lives of others for the sake of profit as a crazed terrorist willing to threaten innocents was not a good look, to say the least.

Incredible Member

Just thinking will this be Ben's first time in space? I don't think he's been off world before.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Just thinking will this be Ben's first time in space? I don't think he's been off world before.
    It could be, yeah.

Astonishing Member

I just had a Ben Reilly related Mandela Effect.

I used to like documenting references of Ben Reilly (before he came back and when references to him and the clone saga were rare) and I was sure the BND storyline 'Sometimes it Snows in April' (ASM 556-557) had a freezing Spidey wishing for the Scarlet Spider sweatshirt to keep him warm. But I just reread it and I didn't see any such reference. Am I crazy? Did I imagine this? Or did I overlook it during my reread?