Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445 LastLast
    An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    They kill off Ben again and I’m pretty much done with all the Spider-Man books, outside of Miles and Miguel forever (again). When they killed Ben back off in 1997, I didn’t buy another Spider-MSN issue until his unmasking in Civil War.
    Marvel won't kill Ben, currently things are very different, that's not counting other factors. So I wouldn't worry about that, I'd worry more about other aspects.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    Marvel won't kill Ben, currently things are very different, that's not counting other factors. So I wouldn't worry about that, I'd worry more about other aspects.
    What things are different? What other factors?

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    What things are different? What other factors?
    Times are different, the state of Ben's life today is much more promising than in the distant year 1997, the same history will not repeat itself.
    Last edited by The Black Death; 12-09-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I have to ask, if they don't kill of Ben and instead give him a solo, will you still read ASM after Beyond?
    No. I’ve been bored of Peter for a while now. At this point, I don’t feel like there is nothing “new” they could do with Peter. Parker Corp and making him rich for a while was a new fresh dynamic, but with Peter they must keep him at status quo. I will always keep up with what’s going on in Peters world, but if it doesn’t wow me at all, then I’m saving my dollars.

As much of an overall Spider-Man fan I am, I’m not a blindly throwing money to support it. The only comic I do that for is SPAWN, and that comic has been crap for ages now, only recently getting better, lol. Will I buy a Ben solo? I will. But if it ever got to the point where it’s like Peter where they kept resetting him to a set status quo where it’s boring? I’d probably drop it like I have Amazing over the years.

Honestly the Slott era is the only eta I collected regular without any I try potions in my collecting. Because I found it fun. Spider-Island being my favorite during that time (which should have been the PERFECT time to revive Ben originally in my opinion).
    Last edited by Blanks; 12-09-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    Times are different, the state of Ben's life today is much more promising than in the distant year 1997, the same history will not repeat itself.
    I'm scared because he's the one who got left behind in the push.Miles, Spider-gwen will get a push from ITSV, Miguel and others will from ATSV, etc.Silk has a new series , Anya and some others mentioned have diversity as another plus.Kaine is the cool Red Hood kinda person.

I can def. see them offing him after this, although I hope they don't.Reception has been good so far

No. I’ve been bored of Peter for a while now. At this point, I don’t feel like there is nothing “new” they could do with Peter. Parker Corp and making him rich for a while was a new fresh dynamic, but with Peter they must keep him at status quo. I will always keep up with what’s going on in Peters world, but if it doesn’t wow me at all, then I’m saving my dollars.

As much of an overall Spider-Man fan I am, I’m not a blindly throwing money to support it. The only comic I do that for is SPAWN, and that comic has been crap for ages now, only recently getting better, lol. Will I buy a Ben solo? I will. But if it ever got to the point where it’s like Peter where they kept resetting him to a set status quo where it’s boring? I’d probably drop it like I have Amazing over the years.

Honestly the Slott era is the only eta I collected regular without any I try potions in my collecting. Because I found it fun. Spider-Island being my favorite during that time (which should have been the PERFECT time to revive Ben originally in my opinion).
    Ah, okay.Cool

The you phrased it made me feel you meant you were into Peter before that, hence all Spider-books.

Here's hoping they don't kill him

I have to ask, if they don't kill of Ben and instead give him a solo, will you still read ASM after Beyond?
    I know this wasn't addressed to me, but....

This may sound counterintuitive, but because Spider-Man comics are the most important "line" I follow, I haven't collected Peter's stories in single issue form regularly since high school. Instead, I prefer to wait for collected editions. Being behind and unable to participate in online discussion is a bummer, but I like having the collections on my bookshelf, where they're easier to go back and reread. Losing all the comics I collected as a kid in a fire a few years back solidify that for me. I've got most of Slott's run collected, and I will likely collect all of Spencer's run as well. At some point, I'll try to recollect what Spidey comics I lost -- mostly the Clone Saga, and (if they ever get collected) the post-CS pre-reboot era comics. (I don't think I'll ever touch the Byrne era again, unless they're for a pittance.)

That said, whenever Ben shows up, I buy monthly to support him. Same for Kaine. If, after Beyond, they continued to appear as regular cast members, I'd continue to buy ASM each month; if Ben gets his own book after Beyond, I'll be buying that. If, for whatever reason, we don't get a monthly featuring Ben after Beyond is over, I'll continue to buy Spidey comics in collected form and focus my "monthly money" on whatever appears fresh and interesting and unique.

-Pav, who tries to support fun B- and C-listers when they get a miniseries...
    Last edited by Pav; 12-09-2021 at 08:39 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I know this wasn't addressed to me, but....

This may sound counterintuitive, but because Spider-Man comics are the most important "line" I follow, I haven't collected Peter's stories in single issue form regularly since high school. Instead, I prefer to wait for collected editions. Being behind and unable to participate in online discussion is a bummer, but I like having the collections on my bookshelf, where they're easier to go back and reread. Losing all the comics I collected as a kid in a fire a few years back solidify that for me. I've got most of Slott's run collected, and I will likely collect all of Spencer's run as well. At some point, I'll try to recollect what Spidey comics I lost -- mostly the Clone Saga, and (if they ever get collected) the post-CS pre-reboot era comics. (I don't think I'll ever touch the Byrne era again, unless they're for a pittance.)

That said, whenever Ben shows up, I buy monthly to support him. Same for Kaine. If, after Beyond, they continued to appear as regular cast members, I'd continue to buy ASM each month; if Ben gets his own book after Beyond, I'll be buying that. If, for whatever reason, we don't get a monthly featuring Ben after Beyond is over, I'll continue to buy Spidey comics in collected form and focus my "monthly money" on whatever appears fresh and interesting and unique.

-Pav, who tries to support fun B- and C-listers when they get a miniseries...
    Absolutely

ASM will sustain even without monthly support but Marvel might not keep faith in Ben/Kaine solos so makes sense to support those monthly

Astonishing Member

To add my own two cents to the “will you keep reading once Beyond is over” question…

I’d buy a series of Ben and Peter (and maybe Kaine) just doing bro stuff like talking in a coffee shop or playing board games, but I’m weird I guess. When Beyond is over, I’ll probably dip out unless the next writer does something truly amazing. Only two things get me buying Spidey books these days… the tease of undoing OMD (I won’t be fooled by that again), and new Ben Reilly/Kaine stories. I guess if Baby May was teased as being alive that’d also get me reading, but that’s even more unlikely than OMD being undone and that’s saying something. I used to love Spider-Man, but things haven’t been the same since OMD/BND. Yes, there’s been some terrific stories, but it still can’t escape the shadow of that awful status quo reset. Peter’s personality has also changed too much as well (then again, Ben’s character also has changed I guess).

As generally underwhelming as Beyond has been, it’s still fun to see Ben play Spidey again (and be a good guy, thank god). I never thought I’d see that again. So that’s cool. But I’m reminded of the saying “you can’t go home again.” I just feel the Spidey books are in a rut, and it’ll take some truly next caliber writing to give us something fresh and engaging again. Not sure that’s possible with how much convoluted baggage the character has now. I used to be dead-set against DC-style reboots, but I’m starting to reconsider that position. Not to reboot Peter as a teenager… keep him as a mid 20s adult. Just jettison a lot of useless or contradictory continuity like they did with Batman in New52.

Incredible Member

Ah, okay.Cool

The you phrased it made me feel you meant you were into Peter before that, hence all Spider-books.

Here's hoping they don't kill him
    I am a fan of Peter too. Don’t think you can be a fan of Spider-Man and not like Peter; I just prefer Ben more. I was like, 12 years old I think when I first started buying Spidy comics and my first issue was Sensational #0. To me, when I was young, Ben was the real Spider-Man and Peter was the pretender for years, after they killed Ben off. I did support Peter through other avenues; the movies, Ultimate Spider-Man, trade-paper backs. I don’t dislike Peter, none at all. Over the years, before Slotts era of Amazing, like Pav above said, I was pretty much doing the same. Trades here, trades there. But anytime Kaine or any mention of anything Clone/Scarlet Spider related popped up, I was buying.

I’m just bored with Peter as of late (the past few years) because of no lasting change to his status. He’s the Archie Andrews of the Marvel Universe. That’s not a slight against the character any… but nothing new or lasting happens for him. With Ben… it’s Peter, but not. And chances/risks can be done, that they aren’t willing to take with Peter that may “tarnish” him. Not that’s a bad thing though.

Here is hoping that they give Ben a monthly, in some capacity. And if not, if he even stays on as a regular in Amazing along Peter, either sharing the Spidy name or as Scarlet, I’m along for the ride (or swing).
    Last edited by Blanks; 12-09-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Mighty Member

I am a fan of Peter too. Don’t think you can be a fan of Spider-Man and not like Peter; I just prefer Ben more. I was like, 12 years old I think when I first started buying Spidy comics and my first issue was Sensational #0. To me, when I was young, Ben was the real Spider-Man and Peter was the pretender for years, after they killed Ben off.
    This is pretty much me as well. Ben has always been, and will always be, my Spider-Man. I just don't enjoy Peter's comic book stories. I've always liked Pete in other media. Cartoons, films, what have you. But every time I try to read his comics I just get turned off the character and drop away. There are rare exceptions (early Slott, from Big Time to about Ends of the Earth is brillliant, but the rest of Slott's run leaves me utterly cold) but mostly I just follow the discussion online and sometimes pick up a collected story here or there. I've read some stuff I love, but it's just not consistent. I suppose I love the idea of Spidey more than I do Peter most of the time.

That said, I've picked up a bunch of the Spidey satellite titles. Old 2099. Kaine's SS series, the Flash Thompson Venom book. Miles' solo books. Read Spider-Gwen for a while. Ironically, it was ITSV that killed that one for me, when they showed me a Spider-Gwen that was actually fun and not just depressing all the time. I'd rather read about that version of the character, personally. So I'm very much in the Spider-Man world in some way at all times, just not usually ASM or the main line titles. I feel kind of the same way about Batman. Love the Robins and read all their stuff, love the idea of Batman, but really can't get into the Batman or Detective Comics stories that DC puts out.

I will support floppies for anything Kaine or Ben related almost no questions asked. At least until they become fixtures of the line and feel like they are secure as side characters in the franchise. I'm still hoping for a proper Ben/Kaine book at some point because I think those two would be fun together. Otherwise it's going to take a really special creative team or a really clever idea or direction to keep me on ASM after Beyond ends (unless Ben remains significant supporting cast, that also earns my $$).

Astonishing Member

It seems that this week the announcements are going to be x-related. I'm biting my nails for some Ben and Peter news

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This is pretty much me as well. Ben has always been, and will always be, my Spider-Man. I just don't enjoy Peter's comic book stories. I've always liked Pete in other media. Cartoons, films, what have you. But every time I try to read his comics I just get turned off the character and drop away. There are rare exceptions (early Slott, from Big Time to about Ends of the Earth is brillliant, but the rest of Slott's run leaves me utterly cold) but mostly I just follow the discussion online and sometimes pick up a collected story here or there. I've read some stuff I love, but it's just not consistent. I suppose I love the idea of Spidey more than I do Peter most of the time.

That said, I've picked up a bunch of the Spidey satellite titles. Old 2099. Kaine's SS series, the Flash Thompson Venom book. Miles' solo books. Read Spider-Gwen for a while. Ironically, it was ITSV that killed that one for me, when they showed me a Spider-Gwen that was actually fun and not just depressing all the time. I'd rather read about that version of the character, personally. So I'm very much in the Spider-Man world in some way at all times, just not usually ASM or the main line titles. I feel kind of the same way about Batman. Love the Robins and read all their stuff, love the idea of Batman, but really can't get into the Batman or Detective Comics stories that DC puts out.

I will support floppies for anything Kaine or Ben related almost no questions asked. At least until they become fixtures of the line and feel like they are secure as side characters in the franchise. I'm still hoping for a proper Ben/Kaine book at some point because I think those two would be fun together. Otherwise it's going to take a really special creative team or a really clever idea or direction to keep me on ASM after Beyond ends (unless Ben remains significant supporting cast, that also earns my $$).
    I’m the same about Batman. I love Batman, and I love the idea of Batman, but I dislike Bruce Wayne. I’ll read about Dick, Jason, and even some of the newer ones like Duke, all day. With Bruce, I just feel there isn’t any real new stories. The closest thing to new to Batman/Bruce I ever enjoyed was New 52 Batman, issues 1-52 before Rebirth.

With Spider-Man, I love the massive world, characters and concepts… just not really liking Peter as a character anymore. With Ben or even Kaine, even with familiar faces with villains or family/friends of Peters interacting with them, you can get fresh takes and perspectives from someone who is Peter at the core, but drastically different due to their situations (clones on the road, scarring from the degeneration, mental issues, etc, etc).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I need Beyond's March advance solicits now! I reckon they could drop this week
    I suspect they will redact anything important. Unlike the Queen Goblin matter I don't expect an intentional spoil for the Beyond story come March solicits.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Generally cosigning most of you here. Still love Spider-Man and just about everything and everyone connected to Spider-Man, but for me, it's tinged with disappointment in Marvel editorial and executives for letting Peter Parker stagnate as a character in the last decade or so because they were scared to let him be an actual, full-fledged, functional adult (to the extent anyone in real life or fiction is a functional adult). Like that would make him "less relatable" to the kids and not selling his marriage (and with it a piece of his and his then-wife's souls) to the in-universe equivalent of the Devil or becoming a big-time corporate CEO after getting body-snatched by one of his archenemies.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Two things for me. I really really love Ben and I have a serious Peter burnout right now. I love the guy since before I could read, but I'm a little tired of him not accomplishing a thing.