Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default AMAZING #82 Review and Spoilers

Another chapter of the Beyond era awaits! Sure, there's no Ben again this week -- not in Iron Man, either! -- but we can still have a fun time

Let me start by pointing out how awesome today's cover is! It's got a Marcos Martin vibe to me, but I also love that it potentially presents such a great look at what we may find inside!

Let me next say that the cover in no way indicates what happens in this issue.

Is that lame? In my opinion, yeah, it kinda is. But let me do a quick review first:

1) Peter is brought to his new room by a nurse that seems cool. He's got a new roommate who seems nice. Unfortunately, that roommate is soon taken someplace else.
    2) MJ visits, and while she's there Peter overhears someone lying about his roommate being taken away.
    3) Peter falls asleep and OBVIOUS CREEPY NURSE comes in, telling MJ to leave.
    4) Peter wakes up to a new roommate. She's pissed because she's supposed to be discharged. CREEP NURSE takes her away.
    5) CREEP NURSE comes for Peter, who has been far too nosy for CREEP NURSE'S liking.
    6) CREEP NURSE takes Peter into the basement and turns into a scary people-eating monster.
    7) Hooray MJ!
    8) Epilogue: Daughters of the Dragon have hunted down the Lizard!

Okay.

The art is top notch. It's a gorgeous comic.

And the story isn't BAD. It's just -- so superficial.

The cover indicates we're going to get some dude out to purposefully kill Peter; one could assume this would connect to the larger Beyond storyline. Instead, we get YET AGAIN another villain who, as far as we can tell, has nothing to do with Beyond. These villain encounters don't feel impactful or important because they lack narrative purpose; it's like any villain could be substituted in and it wouldn't matter. I keep hoping we're going to find out that Morbius or Kraven have a connection to Beyond, but I can't imagine CREEP NURSE has anything to do with Beyond. And I think, for me, this is the biggest flaw of the Beyond era. It's also why I think the Doc Ock portions have been the best regarding an antagonist: he actually has narrative purpose!

That being said, the DotD going after the Lizard still provides some hope that, yes, maybe the villains are more meaningful than we've been let on. Still, I'm less optimistic about that than before. The Beyond Era seems too patchwork rather than a well-built storyline featuring multiple subplots, which is a shame. Can you imagine if each issue felt like a direct continuation of the last, with a plot moving forward and each part of the storyline connected meaningfully? It's like the writers ALMOST got there, and yet couldn't quite tie everything together.

Still, it's not a egregious comic. It's just not providing anything new or interesting. In fact, CREEP NURSE reminded me of an issue of the 90s Morbius series that had a man turn into a big people-eating monster. THAT comic was scary. This? Meh.

-Pav, who would've liked the epilogue to belong to Ben...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

The art is really top-notch. That's what carried the issue for me. As I said in other thread, Fornés is way better than Gomez IMHO, Classier at least. Not jab to GOmes who I think is great

Creepy demonic monster trying to kill Peter huh? In hidden magically appearing basement? Marvel added this story just to make people like me think Mephisto is still out to get him.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

I was convinced the entire time that this was all going to be a paranoid delusion by Peter. I kind of wish it was, actually. Maybe then they could have tied him being drugged into something otherwise this is just a filler issue when we didn't need filler.
    Felt like the whole thing could have been told in half the time and we could have gotten some cuts to Ben.
    Oh well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    I was convinced the entire time that this was all going to be a paranoid delusion by Peter. I kind of wish it was, actually. Maybe then they could have tied him being drugged into something otherwise this is just a filler issue when we didn't need filler.
    Felt like the whole thing could have been told in half the time and we could have gotten some cuts to Ben.
    Oh well.
    I was thinking creepy, serial killing, Angel or Death, medical professional...not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Creepy demonic monster trying to kill Peter huh? In hidden magically appearing basement? Marvel added this story just to make people like me think Mephisto is still out to get him.
    Well, Mephisto does have a thing for Spiders, he got a deal with Peter, Ben, Miles and Otto, only one left on the male side is Kaine.

Wonder if he'll ever move on to the Spider-Women .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

While this issue was underwhelming, I did like the interplay between Peter and Mary Jane, such as it was. Wondering what Beyond Corporation wants with the Lizard, and if the Lizard is still separated from Connors like at the end of Nick Spencer's run. With various Spider-villains coming out of the woodwork since Ben took up the webs again, it makes me think Beyond is up to something, even if they don't necessarily seem connected at first glance. Then again, we've got about 10 issues before the finale, so perhaps the writers should be connecting the dots soon as opposed to later.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Reposting my thoughts from the preview thread. I’ve been very critical of Beyond, but I seem to have liked this particular issue more than most:

No Ben and it’s really unconnected to the overall Beyond event aside from Peter being in the hospital. It doesn’t even really read like a Spider-Man comic to be honest… but I liked it. It’s very horror-themed and I’m trying to think of the last time I read an issue like this. Maybe ‘The Mad Dog Ward’ storyline when Peter got involuntarily committed to an insane asylum that also was messing with its patients. I guess that’s the only similar story I can think of. The simplistic art works for this story too. The issue is a bit decompressed, so it’s a VERY quick read and I feel like there’s a couple weird plot-holes that are a bit too convenient (like how MJ hurts the monster). It’s also a bit of a silly comic coincidence that the hospital ward Peter is staying at just happens to be a murder ward. Maybe I have to reread it, but the impression I get is this hospital monster has nothing to do with Beyond. Also the epilogue with the Daughters of the Dragon and the Lizard appearing kinda confirms my suspicions that Beyond is pretty much just serving as a vehicle to tie-in many of the cinematic characters appearing now or later (Morbius and Kraven both have Sony films coming out, Lizard, Electro, Doc Ock are all in NWH, Goblin Queen is a Green Goblin derivative character, Ben is even a SECOND Spider-Man if you want to make that comparison…). Also isn’t Colleen supposed to be at least part Asian? Definitely looks totally Caucasian there…

Besides those nitpicks, I enjoyed it though. 8.5/10. Now if only Ben could get a similarly strong and fun issue.
    Now while I did like the main story as shown above, upon reflection I’m really not a fan of that tacked-on epilogue with the Daughters of the Dragon and the Lizard. Mainly because DoD leaves me cold.

As Pav said why have DoD appear in the epilogue, instead of Ben…? The poster MisterC sums up my feelings (also from the preview thread) about them perfectly:
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Lovely. Not one mention of Ben. Glad we are checking in with the daughters of the dragon though. Like damn, I pick up this book every week hoping to be kept up to date with those two. Gosh I hope there is some whacky beyond experiment happening in the background. Those gags sure make the book.

My heavy sigh would register on Cerebro as an omega level awakening
    I think almost everyone here would co-sign this. No one cares about the DoD except a couple online reviewers, and I just don’t get why they keep pushing them when there’s only so many pages each issue to focus on our main cast (has Janine done ANYTHING except leave the Beyond apartment to go to a movie with Ben that one time? Why not do something interesting with her?? Give her some agency and show her breaking out of Beyond or sneaking around the complex… DoD makes me want to watch paint dry off the wall )
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 12-22-2021 at 03:56 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Reposting my thoughts from the preview thread. I’ve been very critical of Beyond, but I seem to have liked this particular issue more than most:

Now while I did like the main story as shown above, upon reflection I’m really not a fan of that tacked-on epilogue with the Daughters of the Dragon and the Lizard. Mainly because DoD leaves me cold.

As Pav said why have DoD appear in the epilogue, instead of Ben…? The poster MisterC sums up my feelings (also from the preview thread) about them perfectly:

I think almost everyone here would co-sign this. No one cares about the DoD except a couple online reviewers, and I just don’t get why they keep pushing them when there’s only so many pages each issue to focus on our main cast (has Janine done ANYTHING except leave the Beyond apartment to go to a movie with Ben that one time? Why not do something interesting with her?? Give her some agency and show her breaking out of Beyond or sneaking around the complex… DoD makes me want to watch paint dry off the wall )
    I would also love to see Janine more involved in this saga, as well as a peek at what Ben's been up to this whole time, but while the Daughters of the Dragon might not have been my first choice for a superhero/costumed supporting cast for Ben (still waiting on the Slingers' epic comeback with Hobie Brown leading them as the new Hornet), I don't have the visceral disdain for their continued existence and presence that a lot of others here seem to feel. That, and at least Misty Knight's presence is explained by her having worked with Ben when he was still Scarlet Spider back in Christopher Cantwell's Iron Man, and since Misty and Colleen Wing are a package deal . . . well. Could be better handled, that much is true, though I am wondering who you'd all rather have as (or in) Ben's superhero/costumed support team. Me, personally, besides bringing back the Slingers (which they are going to do later), I'd love to see Joystick and Screwball, the former for her history with Ben, the latter because I could see Beyond using her livestreaming expertise for social media outreach or something like that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Yeah this is probably the first main Beyond issue I've felt is a dud. I had super high expectations for this, based on a return to "action" for Pete and of course the cool cover, but it took way too long to tell a story that was both disconnected from the main plot and more importantly, not particularly interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I would also love to see Janine more involved in this saga, as well as a peek at what Ben's been up to this whole time, but while the Daughters of the Dragon might not have been my first choice for a superhero/costumed supporting cast for Ben (still waiting on the Slingers' epic comeback with Hobie Brown leading them as the new Hornet), I don't have the visceral disdain for their continued existence and presence that a lot of others here seem to feel. That, and at least Misty Knight's presence is explained by her having worked with Ben when he was still Scarlet Spider back in Christopher Cantwell's Iron Man, and since Misty and Colleen Wing are a package deal . . . well. Could be better handled, that much is true, though I am wondering who you'd all rather have as (or in) Ben's superhero/costumed support team. Me, personally, besides bringing back the Slingers (which they are going to do later), I'd love to see Joystick and Screwball, the former for her history with Ben, the latter because I could see Beyond using her livestreaming expertise for social media outreach or something like that.
    I just feel like with the limited pages we get, the daughters are getting panel time that could be allocated to Ben who feels short changed already. And it's used for these little pet scenes that draw out the mystery. Their usage feels hollow and comes at the expense of Ben. I think the one scene of them mysteriously meeting up with Monica Rambeau was more than sufficient. Repeating it doesn't move the needle.

If the story were better structured and allowed some more room to breath, instead of just rushing through the list of villains set to appear in upcoming movies and games, I would love to see the daughters have a more meaningful role. Or for Ben to be in on their ulterior motive so he can participate in these scenes. I like the characters but I'm not feeling their use here. Why couldn't Ben have taken down Morbius, like pull your pants up, have a dramatic inner monologue, take an Advil and go beat that one armed vampire til he's on a plant based diet. Like heroes should.

I feel like it's a waste and a shame that outside of the first two issues, Ben got more development and exploration in the Dr Strange tie-in than in the rest of Beyond proper. I can't speak to the pressures, deadlines and what have you meat factory comics stuff, but the result has been less than stellar. And I desperately wanted to like this, like a dog begging for table scraps. I tried to set my expectations as low as possible because I lived through Sins Past, One More Day, Steve Wacker saying heroes are capable of healing bullet holes with chest compressions because you sold your baby and marriage to Satan, whatever happened with Kindred, and worst of all Dan Slott.

But y'know I did expect Ben Reilly to be a meaningful part of the book. Instead he's a clueless patsy. Unaware of the larger machinations at play around him in this obviously Not Good situation. I can't help but be frustrated and feel like my money isn't well spent here, but I'll buy it because Ben deserves a chance where he's taken seriously as a character, like he was when he was first introduced. And we don't even get into why Beyond has such a hold on him, we have had one scene with Ben and Kafka. How am I supposed to care what's coming up with her when the subject of her therapy isn't even in the book, let alone her.

As for Janine, I think they have been hinting quiet strongly that she sees things for what they are and is probably working a plan out in her head. I expect her and Maxine Danger to go head to head in some way.

Maybe this is more s thought for the Beyond thread but like, I find myself asking why comics can't just like, tell the story people want and would have a good time reading for once. Like for a 19 issue fill in arc why not just give us Spider-Bros instead of whatever all this, if we're honest, likely immediately to be forgotten Beyond stuff is and just tell some fun stories about two Spider-Men and what a nightmare it would be for the villains and how great the Pete and Ben banter would be. It's really easy to resolve as well, when it's time for one Spidey, Ben just dips out of respect to Pete. Because while Pete would welcome him, Ben feels responsible for the complications he brings to Pete's life and always feels a call to be his own man, despite his genetic origin, and goes back to being Scarlet Spider somewhere else.
    Last edited by MisterC; 12-22-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Disappointed, specially because not only is there no Ben this is a waste of one of the few Peter issues we have.Really hope the next one is just pure Peter w/ a side of Ben instead of Dragon Daughters.

Incredible Member

I have been this disappointed in a issue in a while. No Ben at all. I expected that for one of the point issues… not a main issue. Anyways, I’ll have to re-red the issue again. Somewhere along the line, the issue lost me. That or I just stopped caring. I had Spawn comics that were demanding my attention yesterday too.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    specially because not only is there no Ben
    If a couple months ago someone told me I'd see this post coming from you I'd honestly have a hard time believing that. (Please don't misunderstand, not giving you crap, just legit surprised your outlook on Ben-centric issues did a 180º).

As for this issue proper, it's a pretty nice Peter/MJ oneshot, but it has no business being a Beyond tie-in. It's so detached that they basically had to go "Oh right, this is still happening" in the last two pages. If Beyond is sending this guy after Peter (and maybe did something to Morbius as well, etc.) then it's high time they give us something more concrete instead of just "really makes you think" when we're at... I dunno, halfway point by now?
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    If a couple months ago someone told me I'd see this post coming from you I'd honestly have a hard time believing that. (Please don't misunderstand, not giving you crap, just legit surprised your outlook on Ben-centric issues did a 180º).

As for this issue proper, it's a pretty nice Peter/MJ oneshot, but it has no business being a Beyond tie-in. It's so detached that they basically had to go "Oh right, this is still happening" in the last two pages. If Beyond is sending this guy after Peter (and maybe did something to Morbius as well, etc.) then it's high time they give us something more concrete instead of just "really makes you think" when we're at... I dunno, halfway point by now?
    No no that's 100% fair.I was way too... passionate about the issue and that's not healthy or fun for anyone.Just feel like if they are gonna give Ben his chance then they should stop using that time for other character like Daughter of the dragons.

Agreed on the latter as well