Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Appreciation 2021

Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Appreciation 2021

Wikipedia blurb;

"Benjamin Reilly (/ˈraɪli/), also known as the Scarlet Spider, is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He is a clone and ally of the original Spider-Man (Peter Parker) and is prominent in the 1994–96 "Clone Saga" storyline, which led to his murder by the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn).

Created by writer Gerry Conway, the character first appeared in The Amazing Spider-Man #149 (October 1975). During the "Clone Saga" storyline, he came to wear a makeshift costume similar to Spider-Man's consisting of a blue sleeveless hoodie sweatshirt adorned with black motifs of a spider on its front and back, over a red spandex bodysuit and mask, with utility belts and wrist-worn sizable web-shooters that were designed by artist Tom Lyle,[2] before donning a variation of Spider-Man's costume designed by artist Mark Bagley as his successor for some time before his death.

In 2017's "Dead No More: The Clone Conspiracy" story arc, the character was resurrected. In the 2017 series Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider, he reclaims his Scarlet Spider identity and reimagined by Marvel Comics' creative teams as an antihero, starting a spiritual quest to redeem himself as a true hero once more and has completed it in another arc, "Spider-Geddon", again serving as Spider-Man's heroic ally."
    Collected Editions

The Original 70's Clone Saga
    The 90's Clone Saga
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 1 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #394, Spectacular Spider-Man #217, Spider-Man #51-53, Spider-Man Unlimited #7, Web of Spider-Man #117-119, Spider-Man: The Lost Years #1-3)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 2 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #395-399, Spectacular Spider-Man #218-221, Spider-Man #54-56, Spider-Man Unlimited #8, Web of Spider-Man #120-122, Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus #1-3)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 3 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #400-401, Super Special, Spectacular Spider-Man #222-224, Super Special, Spider-Man #57-58, Super Special, Spider-Man Unlimited #9, Web of Spider-Man #123-124, Super Special, Spider-Man: The Clone Journal, Venom Super Special)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 4 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #402-404, Spectacular Spider-Man #225-227, Spider-Man #59-61, Web of Spider-Man #125-127, New Warriors #61, Spider-Man: The Jackal Files, Spider-Man: Maximum Clonage Alpha, Omega)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic, Book 5 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man Super Special; Spider-Man Super Special; Venom Super Special, Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special, Web of Spider-Man Super Special, New Warriors #62, Web of Spider-Man #128-129, Amazing Spider-Man #405-406, Spider-Man #62-63, Spider-Man Unlimited #10, Spectacular Spider-Man #228-229, Spider-Man Team-Up #1)

Ben Reilly as Spider-Man
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 1 (Collects Spider-Man: The Parker Years; New Warriors #65-66; Scarlet Spider Unlimited #1; Web of Scarlet Spider #1-2; Amazing Scarlet Spider #1-2; Scarlet Spider #1-2; Spectacular Scarlet Spider #1-2; Green Goblin #3; and Sensational Spider-Man #0 and Mini-Comic)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 2 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #407-408; New Warriors #67; Sensational Spider-Man #1; Spectacular Spider-Man #230; Spider-Man #64-65; Spider-Man/Punisher: Family Plot #1-2; Web of Scarlet Spider #3-4, and material from Spider-Man Holiday Special and Venom: Along Came a Spider #1-4)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 3 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #409-410; Sensational Spider-Man #2-3; Spectacular Spider-Man #231-233; Spider-Man #66-67; Spider-Man: The Final Adventure #1-4; Spider-Man Team-Up #2; Spider-Man Unlimited #11)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 4 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #411-413; Daredevil #354; Sensational Spider-Man #4-6; Spectacular Spider-Man #234; Spider-Man #68-70; Spider-Man: Redemption #1-4; Spider-Man Unlimited #12, Spider-Man Team-Up #3)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 5 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #414-416, material from Annual '96; Sensational Spider-Man #7-10; Spectacular Spider-Man #235-239; Spider-Man #71-72; Spider-Man Team-Up #4; Spider-Man Unlimited #13)
    * Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 6 (Collects Amazing Spider-Man #417-418; Sensational Spider-Man #11; Spectacular Spider-Man #240-241; Spider-Man #73-75; Spider-Man Team-Up #5; Spider-Man Unlimited #14; Spider-Man: Revelations Extra Pages; Spider-Man: The Osborn Journal #1; 101 ways to end the Clone Saga #1; Spider-Man: Dead Man's Hand #1)

Scarlet Spider (Kaine)
    * Scarlet Spider Vol. 4: Into the Grave (Collects Scarlet Spider #21-25)

Dead No More; The Clone Conspiracy
    * Spider-Man: The Clone Conspiracy (Collects Amazing Spider-Man 19-24; The Clone Conspiracy 1-5; The Clone Conspiracy: Omega; Silk 14-17; Prowler 1-5; Material from Free Comic Book Day 2016 (Captain America) 1)

Ben Reilly as Scarlet Spider
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 1: Back in the Hood (Collects Scarlet Spider #1-6)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 2: Death's Sting (Collects Scarlet Spider #7-10)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 3: Slingers Return (Collects Scarlet Spider #11-14)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 4: Damnation (Collects Scarlet Spider #15-20)
    * Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider Vol. 5: Deal with the Devil (Collects Scarlet Spider #21-25)

Team Event(s)
    *Spider-Verse (Appearances; Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #9, Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #10, Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #11, Spider-Verse Vol. 1, Spider-Verse Team up Vol. 1, Scarlet Spider Vol. 1, Scarlet Spiders Vol. 2, Scarlet Spiders Vol. 3,
    * Spiddergeddon!

Useful Links

* Life of Reilly (Tribute)
    * Ben Reilly Tribute on Facebook
    * Wikipedia Entry
    * Marvel FANDOM entry
    * Marvel.com Biography
    * Comicvine Biography

...and of course Spider-Man the Animated 90's Series' origin of the Scarlet Spider;

Previous Year's Thread (2020 Edition)
    Last edited by Spiderfang; 01-01-2021 at 01:11 AM.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Happy New Year for Ben, and hopefully for more Ben-related stories!

The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Happy New Year to Ben and all his fans .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Happy New Year for Ben, and hopefully for more Ben-related stories!

Same. Cautiously optimistic about his role in the first Iron Man issue of 2021.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Hi! I'm not a Marvel guy, but Ben Reilly is my favorite character from the publisher. I was happy when they announced his return, but didn't like that arc at all, so i didn't kept following him.

Who is his status now? Still kinda bad? There is plans for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Hi! I'm not a Marvel guy, but Ben Reilly is my favorite character from the publisher. I was happy when they announced his return, but didn't like that arc at all, so i didn't kept following him.

Who is his status now? Still kinda bad? There is plans for him?
    "Reset" in the final issue of Spider-Geddon, which apparently cleansed him of the psychological and spiritual deterioration that led to him breaking bad in Clone Conspiracy, and now back to his old, more heroic self as the Scarlet Spider. Hasn't been seen much since, unless counting Conan: Battle for the Serpent Crown #2 by Saladin Ahmed and the upcoming Iron Man #5 by Christopher Cantwell next week.

Well, some good and some bad news then. At least he is back at being heroic. I'll try to follow his little apparences from now on.
    Any suggestions of what to read after his return? Something worth checkin out? I read The Clone Conspiracy and didn't liked at all.

I would also like to mention that to me his Spider suit is, to this day, the best Spider Man costume of all time.

Well, some good and some bad news then. At least he is back at being heroic. I'll try to follow his little apparences from now on.
    Any suggestions of what to read after his return? Something worth checkin out? I read The Clone Conspiracy and didn't liked at all.

I would also like to mention that to me his Spider suit is, to this day, the best Spider Man costume of all time.

Even if you didn't care for the overall direction of his last series under the pen of PAD, I do think there are some issues that are worth reading -- most notably, any of the issues in which Ben teams up with and/or fights any of the Slingers.

If there are redeeming qualities to that series as whole it's 1) introducing the Slingers to the Scarlets, and more importantly, 2) establishing the beginnings of a begruding brotherhood between Ben and Kaine.

-Pav, who just needs to see it followed up by someone who cares about the characters...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Even if you didn't care for the overall direction of his last series under the pen of PAD, I do think there are some issues that are worth reading -- most notably, any of the issues in which Ben teams up with and/or fights any of the Slingers.

If there are redeeming qualities to that series as whole it's 1) introducing the Slingers to the Scarlets, and more importantly, 2) establishing the beginnings of a begruding brotherhood between Ben and Kaine.

-Pav, who just needs to see it followed up by someone who cares about the characters...
    Agreeing with both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Thanks, i'll check out.

Incredible Member

Ben will always be my Spider-Man. I started collecting Spider-Man with Sensational Spider-Man #0, and I spent forever backtracking all the issues he appeared in as the Scarlet Spider. I think I was in 6th or 7th grade when I first discovered Ben.

I honestly enjoyed his story/return in the Clone Conspiracy. It makes sense when one was killed and revived multiple times, remembering each death. While I was kinda iffy on his most recent run in Vegas and Spider-geddon, if Ben is truly “back to basics”, then I can’t wait for some editorial to give Ben another chance. I don’t mind a redemption story, although I think he got that with those two stories.

At the same time, I get why Marvel has no idea on what to do with Ben. The current status quo with Peter mirrors everything Ben was created for back in the 90’s. The tried the “Red Hood” approach after his resurrection and a lot of fans didn’t particularly like that approach. After all, Kaine fills that role. Miles feels the role of the “teen” Spider-Man, so where does that leave them to do with Ben? How to fill that role?

Ben in space? Hard pass. Ben jumping dimensions with the Web Warriors? I’ll accept it but not my cup of tea. Not a lot of potiental for character growth in a team book. Ben needs a solo again, with a real direction and purpose. He knows he’s a clone now, so the purpose of learning his identity is not needed now, but he needs character growth now. I’d love for him to revisit his old stomping grounds and cast, but so we really need another Spider in New York?

Ben is in a terrible spot. But the right writer can make it work.

Marvel has absolutely butchered Bens character didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Ben will always be my Spider-Man. I started collecting Spider-Man with Sensational Spider-Man #0, and I spent forever backtracking all the issues he appeared in as the Scarlet Spider. I think I was in 6th or 7th grade when I first discovered Ben.

I honestly enjoyed his story/return in the Clone Conspiracy. It makes sense when one was killed and revived multiple times, remembering each death. While I was kinda iffy on his most recent run in Vegas and Spider-geddon, if Ben is truly “back to basics”, then I can’t wait for some editorial to give Ben another chance. I don’t mind a redemption story, although I think he got that with those two stories.

At the same time, I get why Marvel has no idea on what to do with Ben. The current status quo with Peter mirrors everything Ben was created for back in the 90’s. The tried the “Red Hood” approach after his resurrection and a lot of fans didn’t particularly like that approach. After all, Kaine fills that role. Miles feels the role of the “teen” Spider-Man, so where does that leave them to do with Ben? How to fill that role?

Ben in space? Hard pass. Ben jumping dimensions with the Web Warriors? I’ll accept it but not my cup of tea. Not a lot of potiental for character growth in a team book. Ben needs a solo again, with a real direction and purpose. He knows he’s a clone now, so the purpose of learning his identity is not needed now, but he needs character growth now. I’d love for him to revisit his old stomping grounds and cast, but so we really need another Spider in New York?

Ben is in a terrible spot. But the right writer can make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Agreed. Some good hooks for Ben, I think, would be him revisiting the sites of his past adventures, touching base with the people he knew and connected with back then, and even going after those he "reanimated" as the Jackal who decided to revert to criminality, taking responsibility for what he unleashed upon the world in his misguided efforts to vanquish death.

Amazing Member

Need either a Scarlet Spiders title ala Birds of Prey with Julia as Oracle or a Slingers title with Ben, Kaine and the Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Yep.

Best thing to do is pretend whatever was brought back in Clone Conspiracy wasn't the real Ben at all. And given that story's completely ludicrous explanation for his existence and behaviour, isn't a huge stretch.

As far as I'm concerned, if Marvel ever really wanna bring Ben back properly, I'd just retcon the end of Revelations so that the Ben who sacrificed himself was another clone that Norman created (cos let's be honest, he was churning those things out like a factory), whilst still keeping the real Ben prisoner. Ben subsequently escaped, realised he was 'dead' again and after discovering that he really was the clone, he came to terms with it, because he realises he doesn't feel any different to when he thought he was the real Pete.

Deciding that staying in New York and revealing himself to Pete again would only complicate matters and likely put them and their friends/family in more danger again, Ben decides to once again hit the road. Only this time, not as a reluctant hero and recluse, but now actively seeking out people that need his help. Basically 'The Lost Years', but with a more positive, pro-active (but still sans-costume) Ben... Still the hero that he always was.

All of which means we can rightfully consider the events of Clone Conspiracy and the subsequent Scarlet Comic to be the adventures of a completely different character who had nothing in common with Ben whatsoever. Which is extremely easy to do, because that's exactly how it was written.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 01-04-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"