Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    They want Spider-Man on their terms. They feel a mature Spider-Man is not sustainable long-term. I disagree with their assessment but that is the crux of the issue.

But I digress. We don't want to drag the topic of this thread any further off course.
    Agreed.
    But I would say that a mature Spider-man is the only one sustainable long-term.
    Most popular superheroes are always adults, Spider-man just had the rare opportunity to grow up from a teen to adult.Now let's go forward and not backward.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Hi, excited for Spider-Man Beyond. I've always liked the idea of Ben Reilly and other Spider-people. So I'm reading the Clone Saga for the first time. Compelling stuff! Reading about Ben's origins and perspectives during the original Clone Saga was amazing and then I heavily enjoyed the darker tale of The Lost Years mini too. (The trade collections seem to be collecting these in chronological order instead of published.) This is gonna be expensive but I think I can read all of this.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Agreed.
    But I would say that a mature Spider-man is the only one sustainable long-term.
    Most popular superheroes are always adults, Spider-man just had the rare opportunity to grow up from a teen to adult.Now let's go forward and not backward.
    One last thing -

This idea is doomed to fail for one simple reason; shared continuity. If Peter existed in his own universe without a large number of other heroes & villains, keeping him in amber could maybe, maybe work. Whenever another Marvel character experiences a personal milestone (marriage, a birthday, has a child, so on and so forth) the shared universe has to change and grow accordingly. Peter can't remain a man-child forever especially not when younger characters such as Miles and Kamala are slowly growing up around him.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

One last thing -

This idea is doomed to fail for one simple reason; shared continuity. If Peter existed in his own universe without a large number of other heroes & villains, keeping him in amber could maybe, maybe work. Whenever another Marvel character experiences a personal milestone (marriage, a birthday, has a child, so on and so forth) the shared universe has to change and grow accordingly. Peter can't remain a man-child forever especially not when younger characters such as Miles and Kamala are slowly growing up around him.
    True like franklin Richards is now a teenager I’m unsure on the age but he was born during Peter career. Same with Normie
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

One last thing -

Exactly.
    And miles is growing up.17 now

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post

The 1990s Clone Saga were the first Spider-Man comics I read growing up with Peter and Ben. A most infamous period in Spider-Man history. When Reilly was killed, people wanted him back and there were teases that it might but it didn't come to pass till The Clone Conspiracy by Slott and PAD's Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider. I really hated both seeing Reilly as a villain, I'd honestly have preferred him to stay dead. Spider-Geddon offered a brief panel explanation that Ben's factory reset to where he was before, I welcomed that.

Now in unexpected news, Ben Reilly is Spider-Man again in Spider-Man Beyond. I like the new costume but wish it had some more callbacks to his original Spider-Man suit. That's one of the best Spider-Man costumes, I'd say the same about his original Scarlet Spider suit. Like what I've seen of the new costume. I do wish Reilly was wearing the webshooters on the outside though, that's a trademark of the character.
    If you look more closely at the concept art for Ben's "Spider-Man Beyond" costume, it does have web-shooters somewhat visible on the insides of his wrists, like in The Amazing Spider-Man films or Insomniac Games' Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

One last thing -

Yeah, a baby being born means nine months have passed... and Miles's mother and Kamala's sister-in-law have both given birth in the last few years. Even if the pregnancies overlap, that means at least a year has to have passed since Secret Wars.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    True like franklin Richards is now a teenager I’m unsure on the age but he was born during Peter career. Same with Normie
    And Curt's son...is that Dylan?
    Then there is Eddie's son, name escapes me.

In the case of Eddie but especially the FF, if they can have kids and be important in-universe characters and commercially viable then so can Peter.
    However, I'm all in for some more Ben as Spider-man. Especially if part of the narrative is to push him as a continual part of the MU, somewhere in some title.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ....Especially if part of the narrative is to push him as a continual part of the MU, somewhere in some title.
    This is my hope as well. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    And Curt's son...is that Dylan?
    Then there is Eddie's son, name escapes me.

In the case of Eddie but especially the FF, if they can have kids and be important in-universe characters and commercially viable then so can Peter.
    However, I'm all in for some more Ben as Spider-man. Especially if part of the narrative is to push him as a continual part of the MU, somewhere in some title.
    I mean that depends on the next writer after beyond.
    This story is more of a last minute placeholder.
    I doubt he makes it out of this alive.

spider-manbeyond_costumedesign.jpg

At least the suit is still red and blue
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If you look more closely at the concept art for Ben's "Spider-Man Beyond" costume, it does have web-shooters somewhat visible on the insides of his wrists, like in The Amazing Spider-Man films or Insomniac Games' Spider-Man.
    Good catch.

Costume coloured in full:

I like!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I hope that Mafex makes a toy of the new suit, it seems like a missed opportunity if not.

Hmm.

Peter Parker: Amazing, Spectacular, etc
    Miles Morales, the Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ock, the Superior Spider-Man

BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN BEYOND

Could this be Ben's new long-term status in the Marvel Universe? And if so, what might it mean to be the Spider-Man Beyond?

-Pav, who could see space or interdimensional stuff...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    BEN REILLY: SPIDER-MAN BEYOND

Could this be Ben's new long-term status in the Marvel Universe? And if so, what might it mean to be the Spider-Man Beyond?

-Pav, who could see space or interdimensional stuff...
    If they want to make Ben the sole 616-Spider-Man handing dimensional issues, I’m on board. Totally.

I mean, I’m already sold as is, lol.