Page 24 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks, and fair points you raise as well about how, if Marvel was really serious about doing the kind of stuff they couldn't do with a married Peter Parker, they could have just used Ben. Hell, I'd argue that if Marvel wants to do something that would break Peter's status quo or the image certain execs/editors/other higher-ups have of him, they could again use Ben, given that he's a clone of Peter and thus doesn't have to be bound by that same status quo or image. As for the pre-Clone Saga Spider-Man stories, however, I believe those were set up mainly to justify and legitimize Ben replacing Peter as "the one, true Spider-Man," in light of how uncharacteristically dark, violent, and alienated from his own humanity Peter had become at the time.
    They really made Peter dark in 1994, didn’t they? As an 11 year old kid I thought it was cool how brutal and grim he had become, but I reread some of those “I AM THE SPIDER” issues last year and they just seemed cringe. Web cocoon? Oy… He had some emotional blows at the time, but Peter should’ve handled all that in a much more mature way. Surprised MJ didn’t file for divorce.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    They really made Peter dark in 1994, didn’t they? As an 11 year old kid I thought it was cool how brutal and grim he had become, but I reread some of those “I AM THE SPIDER” issues last year and they just seemed cringe. Web cocoon? Oy… He had some emotional blows at the time, but Peter should’ve handled all that in a much more mature way. Surprised MJ didn’t file for divorce.
    I agree web-coccon was way too literal but Divorce.Considering she knows how much he's been through, filling for divorce for such a little reason would be pathetic and out of character.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks, and fair points you raise as well about how, if Marvel was really serious about doing the kind of stuff they couldn't do with a married Peter Parker, they could have just used Ben. Hell, I'd argue that if Marvel wants to do something that would break Peter's status quo or the image certain execs/editors/other higher-ups have of him, they could again use Ben, given that he's a clone of Peter and thus doesn't have to be bound by that same status quo or image. As for the pre-Clone Saga Spider-Man stories, however, I believe those were set up mainly to justify and legitimize Ben replacing Peter as "the one, true Spider-Man," in light of how uncharacteristically dark, violent, and alienated from his own humanity Peter had become at the time.
    I feel Ben shouldn't be used for different Peter stories.That's what AU's are for.We don't need a AU Spidey in 616.They should develop him as his own character, he is a clone of Peter but that's not all he should always be.He should be a different character, not just a different tone of Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I agree web-coccon was way too literal but Divorce.Considering she knows how much he's been through, filling for divorce for such a little reason would be pathetic and out of character.
    Peter was a raging lunatic during this era and emotionally neglected his wife while doing ridiculous stuff like trashing all the furniture in his own apartment and encasing himself in web fluid, literally shutting out his spouse. I don’t think it’d be a “little reason” at all. Peter put MJ through more than any spouse should have to go through. But this isn’t an MJ thread, so I won’t comment further on it.

Extraordinary Member

Peter was a raging lunatic during this era and emotionally neglected his wife while doing ridiculous stuff like trashing all the furniture in his own apartment and encasing himself in web fluid, literally shutting out his spouse. I don’t think it’d be a “little reason” at all. Peter put MJ through more than any spouse should have to go through. But this isn’t an MJ thread, so I won’t comment further on it.
    He had a reason to do all those things.If any person had been through a fraction of what Peter has they would kill themselves or loose there minds.And Peter is MJ's primary responsibility.She has said so herself many times, Peter's primary responsibility is Spider-man.And this isn't a working husband housewife thing, it's a superhero who has saved millions and saves more everyday vs a civilian.One's job is much more important and takes a major toll on his psyche.
    And it's not like MJ didn't know he was Spider-man, she knew who she was marrying and what she was getting into.When MJ was stressed about Peter around CW Sue told her the same thing.

Leaving your husband because he is going through a rough patch(and more than justifiably so) because she feels shut out even though she knows why is a terrible thing to do period.She isn't just his friend, she's his wife.

We can take this on the MJ thread, seems like an intriguing discussion if we all stay respectful.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, with the benefits of maturity and hindsight . . .

I feel Ben shouldn't be used for different Peter stories.That's what AU's are for.We don't need a AU Spidey in 616.They should develop him as his own character, he is a clone of Peter but that's not all he should always be.He should be a different character, not just a different tone of Peter.
    Fair enough.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Since Marvel doesn’t have a problem putting out more than one “Spider-Man” title, (Amazing, Superior and Miles as examples) after Ben’s run during Amazing, however long it may be (up to issue 100?) I think it would be cool to resurrect Sensational Spider-Man again, and give that book to Ben. Ever since his “death” back in the day, I wished they had ended/retired the title Sensational until/unless they resurrected Ben.

I pretty much label, in my head at least, Ben as the Sensational Spider-Man, Peter as the Amazing and Miles as the Ultimate. Chances are we’ll probably never see Ock again as the Superior. But that’s just my thought if they let Ben share the Spider-Man name alongside Peter and Miles (for as long as it may be).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Since Marvel doesn’t have a problem putting out more than one “Spider-Man” title, (Amazing, Superior and Miles as examples) after Ben’s run during Amazing, however long it may be (up to issue 100?) I think it would be cool to resurrect Sensational Spider-Man again, and give that book to Ben. Ever since his “death” back in the day, I wished they had ended/retired the title Sensational until/unless they resurrected Ben.

I pretty much label, in my head at least, Ben as the Sensational Spider-Man, Peter as the Amazing and Miles as the Ultimate. Chances are we’ll probably never see Ock again as the Superior. But that’s just my thought if they let Ben share the Spider-Man name alongside Peter and Miles (for as long as it may be).
    I hope he does get a solo but not Spider-man.Scarlet Spider was much better for Ben imo and also helped differentiate them.
    Having so many Spider-people is too much as is, Spider-mans would be much worse.
    Miles I can understand because he was Spider-man in 1610 for a bit(still hoping for a new name), but Ben being Spider-man w/Peter is just no-no
    Spider is enough to share, there really is only one Spider-man in the 616.And Ben is way too similar to Pete as is, they don't need the same name.

100% agree. The "Sensational" adjective will always belong to Ben in my eyes. And I can see the argument from a sales perspective of having Ben and his comic's title as Spider-Man instead of Scarlet Spider.

-Pav, who does prefer the Scarlet costume though...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    100% agree. The "Sensational" adjective will always belong to Ben in my eyes. And I can see the argument from a sales perspective of having Ben and his comic's title as Spider-Man instead of Scarlet Spider.

-Pav, who does prefer the Scarlet costume though...
    Maybe when they relaunch Scarlet Spider they will rename it the Sensational Scarlet Spider.

Back in the day we had what? Amazing, Web of, Spectacular and just plain Scarlet Spider, I think, those four mini-series in that period after Peter and Mary Jane left NY before Ben became Spidy.
    Last edited by Blanks; 08-13-2021 at 09:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe when they relaunch Scarlet Spider they will rename it the Sensational Scarlet Spider.

Back in the day we had what? Amazing, Web of, Spectacular and just plain Scarlet Spider, I think, those four mini-series in that period after Peter and Mary Jane left NY before Ben became Spidy.
    Sensational Scarlet Spider... I dig it.Just bring back the good cotume

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Sensational Scarlet Spider... I dig it.Just bring back the good cotume
    The hoodie costume?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

The hoodie costume?
    Yes, it's pretty iconic imo

Incredible Member

I know I had posted this comment before, it may have been in last years appreciation thread, but personally, and I’m probably in the minority, but I think Ben should rock a redesigned Iron-Spider/Scarlet Spider armor. When Superior copied it with the extra arms, and Otto’s suit resembled Ben’s Spidy one, to me that was the perfect design, but regardless.

I would simply recolor all the parts of the suit that were gold, I’d color them the Sweatshirt Blue color, as a throwback to the original colors. But that’s just an idea.

Extraordinary Member

The FCBD is out.Has anyone read it?