Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Yeah, it just might not be the deciding factor, no, but Kaine/Ben/Otto all worked fairly well being in Peter's periphery. In common all of those books have is that they barely dealt with Peter if at all. Doing it the exact same way a fourth time really just seems like acceptance that "yeah, this is at best getting 24 issues, we might just get that much more out before pretending these characters don't exist again".

Also in common with those is that all of these three books ended with their respective Spider-guys having what you can reasonably call a "bad ending", with Kaine's, somehow, being the better one out of the three. If we get the exact same pattern once more... well, see the point above.
    I still think it's better to have a Spider-bros team up comics where Peter is a lead w/ Ben and Kaine and other Spiders can come by if needed rather than give them solos IF the latter can't sustain them.ASM is a Peter thing doesn't mean Peter can't help the others out in sales.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I still think it's better to have a Spider-bros team up comics where Peter is a lead w/ Ben and Kaine and other Spiders can come by if needed rather than give them solos IF the latter can't sustain them.ASM is a Peter thing doesn't mean Peter can't help the others out in sales.
    Guys, let's be real. There's no way to have two Peters with the same exact powers at the same time in the same town. I, for one, I'm pretty happy to know Ben doesn't die at the end of Beyond. As much as I love the concept of the spider-bros is just not sustainable long-term

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Guys, let's be real. There's no way to have two Peters with the same exact powers at the same time in the same town. I, for one, I'm pretty happy to know Ben doesn't die at the end of Beyond. As much as I love the concept of the spider-bros is just not sustainable long-term
    I agree, I think even Miles in NYC holds him back.My proposition isn't about them being in NYC

Also just realized but Ben not dying has basically left me w/ zero tension for Beyond.Why did they reveal this and the goblin queen so early?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ben-...ss-1-spoilers/

Ben's future after Beyond

I'd like if he reclaimed the Scarlet Spider moniker as well but they probably wouldn't tease that if he did
    It does seem to be a trend with other Spider-Men to move to another city and get a new run (that will last for a few trades).

Astonishing Member

I agree, I think even Miles in NYC holds him back.My proposition isn't about them being in NYC

Also just realized but Ben not dying has basically left me w/ zero tension for Beyond.Why did they reveal this and the goblin queen so early?
    Well, I'm was just too tense about that. I fear for Janine now

Extraordinary Member

Well, I'm was just too tense about that. I fear for Janine now
    I can see that, initially it was a sigh of relief but now I'm not on the edge of my seat.Which was one of the things that had me wrapped in Beyond, still am but a little less.
    Yeah things aren't looking good for her...

BANNED

I think this is truw but only because Marvel sucks not because the concept is inherently bad or unworkable. No "new status quo" is sustainable long term because comics must always reset themselves. But in a world where we had an arc that kicked off with Doc Ock spending an issue trying to rape MJ and masturbating in the shower over essentially her leaked nudes, the idea that we can't get a year or so of Spider-Bros rings false to me.

I think there's tons and tons of story potential to mine from the concept, certainly more than Parker Industries or honestly, spending 70+ issues having a sack of rags scream CONFESS CONFESS

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I think this is truw but only because Marvel sucks not because the concept is inherently bad or unworkable. No "new status quo" is sustainable long term because comics must always reset themselves. But in a world where we had an arc that kicked off with Doc Ock spending an issue trying to rape MJ and masturbating in the shower over essentially her leaked nudes, the idea that we can't get a year or so of Spider-Bros rings false to me.

I think there's tons and tons of story potential to mine from the concept, certainly more than Parker Industries or honestly, spending 70+ issues having a sack of rags scream CONFESS CONFESS
    Well, I at least remember the former from Superior...

BANNED

I like the idea of Ben in LA and staying as Spider-Man. I hope we get a good writer and they decide to actually get into and explore Ben's character in this.

The reason we are still talking about Ben today is because he has been a compelling character since he first arrived. So it's disappointing that every use of him since the Clone Saga has been superficial

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I like the idea of Ben in LA and staying as Spider-Man. I hope we get a good writer and they decide to actually get into and explore Ben's character in this.

The reason we are still talking about Ben today is because he has been a compelling character since he first arrived. So it's disappointing that every use of him since the Clone Saga has been superficial
    JM DeMatteis is too much to ask?

Astonishing Member

On a second thought, the reasons for the tension created by the chances of Ben dying are more meta than "in-story", more based on how Marvel has treated Ben until now than the Beyond implied dangers.

BANNED

JM DeMatteis is too much to ask?
    I was hoping for Wells myself, I haven't read JM on something recent. Absolutely stoked to check out his Ben mini.

On a second thought, the reasons for the tension created by the chances of Ben dying are more meta than "in-story", more based on how Marvel has treated Ben until now than the Beyond implied dangers.
    This is accurate as well. Beyond is clearly no bueno but the real danger to Ben is a lack of vision in the editorial department.

For my part, I am glad to know there is something for Ben outside Beyond. It takes the pressure off the story because 19 issues of Ben barely existing and getting beaten up only to get killed would have been a huge bummer.

Right now my hopes for the story are: don't delete Ben's Peter memories and don't end the story with Ben and Pete fighting and being on bad terms. I hope the end more resembles the Bags cover than the Art Adams one

Astonishing Member

I’d be happy with
    Chris Yost (yes, I know he left comics)
    JM DeMatteis
    Todd Dezago
    Zeb Wells
    Chip Zdarsky
    Cody Ziglar (I thought he captured Ben’s voice pretty well in the first issue he wrote)
    And there’s some other names like Gage who could do a decent job…

I’ll riot in the streets if the writer is…
    Slott
    PAD
    Kelly Thompson (and the book is retitled ‘Ben Reilly and the Sensational Daughters of the Dragon’)

Extraordinary Member

Oh I agree, although in-story every fight or moment would have us at the edge of our seat.

Glad he's okay but Marvel should have milked the tension for a month or 2 more IMO

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

Beautifully drawn Ben scene in Devil’s Reign #2!