Default Anyone following this Masked Raider stuff?

The one thing I love about Marvel is how they embrace the past, how writers will dig deep into the rich history of 616 and find new angles on old concepts. I love what they've done with this Masked Raider character, and I wonder if it will lead to something huge. I was always a fan of how Marvel would connect their universe through things like the Scourge killings, I loved how a mystical snowstorm over in Thor blanketed the entire Marvel universe, even if the stories themselves didn't tie in. Is anyone else as interested in the Masked Raider?
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Yes! I love the concept of the character and hope it leads to a solo series at some point. I also hope that, when they finally reveal who the Raider is, it won't be a disappointment.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

He's been alright in the current Defenders mini, which is promising to reveal his true identity, I think.

Personally, I like the Masked Raider more for the masterful continuity work done with the whole thing, more than for the character himself.

I'm digging it. Like you said, the Masked Raider is linked to this new angle on Marvel's less known past. There seems to be a lot of potential there. I think he's also tied with Blue Marvel, Jimmy Woo, and Night Thrasher. Hope to see more of this explored.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    He's been alright in the current Defenders mini, which is promising to reveal his true identity, I think.

Personally, I like the Masked Raider more for the masterful continuity work done with the whole thing, more than for the character himself.
    That's pretty much what I love, as well. they took it back to the Enclave! I read some of the Iron Man/Korvac stuff prior to getting the first few issues of The Defenders so seeing the Enclave mentioned there was a nice surprise.

I don't recall where I saw it but I vaguely remember a scene of Steve Rogers, on his way to receive the Super Soldier Serum, being walked past a room with odd artifacts in it, one of them being the Infinity Mask. That thing has been around.

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    That's pretty much what I love, as well. they took it back to the Enclave! I read some of the Iron Man/Korvac stuff prior to getting the first few issues of The Defenders so seeing the Enclave mentioned there was a nice surprise.
    Ewing took it even further back than that. Back in 1940 there was one story in an issue of Mystic Comics of a group of detectives called The Three Xs. They never appeared again, IIRC. Even earlier than that in Marvel Comics #1, the beginning of the MU, Prof Horton introduced his creation, the original Human Torch, to an unnamed trio of scientist at the beginning of the story. Ewing made it so that those three scientists were the The Three Xs... and they were eventually the Enclave as well. Other little used Golden Age heroes the Thunderer, the Masked Raider, the Black Rider and the Ferret were also I corporate into the background of the Eternity Mask. Ewing does his research and he does it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'm digging it. Like you said, the Masked Raider is linked to this new angle on Marvel's less known past. There seems to be a lot of potential there. I think he's also tied with Blue Marvel, Jimmy Woo, and Night Thrasher. Hope to see more of this explored.
    I'm only hoping that as they take us deeper into this thing they reference ACTUAL Marvel history. I don't want Wolverine retconned into a 40's adventure with The Torch, for example. I LOVE that they dug up the Three X's--a concept that would've been all but forgotten--and made it all work and fit seamlessly. I love that Jimmy Woo is active, as well as Namora (as I've posted before I've always loathed Marvel's past tendency to revive Golden Age heroes as raving madmen and immediately kill them off). Of course some of the Raider's story is already retconned in out of necessity but Marvel has such a RICH Golden Age legacy that they've never fully explored for modern readers (not like DC has with the JSA). Ewing has skyrocketed up my list of favorite writers--he's not some random novelist hired to write a book, this guy knows his history.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm along for the ride in Defenders. The idea of bringing a western hero concept forward is intriguing but how do they separate the character from the best "shoot 'em up" character in 616, Punisher?
    The cosmic angle is a start, now where do they go from there?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Can someone tell me what series he has shown up in so far i.e. Ewing continuity?

There isn't a whole lot, as I understand it. Marvel Comics # 1001 (and possibly 1000?). Incoming # 1 (and only). And then the current Defenders run.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Best suspect I’ve seen anyone bring up so far.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    There isn't a whole lot, as I understand it. Marvel Comics # 1001 (and possibly 1000?). Incoming # 1 (and only). And then the current Defenders run.
    Okay thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I would love to see a team book with previously mentioned characters.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I would love to see a team book with previously mentioned characters.
    Same here I’m not interested other wise