Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Monica Rambeau in WandaVision is a SWORD operative and it seems that her journey
    into and out of The Hex on a repeated basis is creating powers of her own.
    But in confrontation with Wanda Maximoff in episode 7 on Disney+, her powers seem
    to be more "physical" than her original electromagnetic and light powers from the comic books.

Indeed, they are closer to the altered powers from the Captain Marvel one-shot
    from 1989
    by Dwayne McDuffie and Mark Bright, who also worked on Icon together.
    Dwayne McDuffie https://13thdimension.com/the-top-13...uffie-stories/ had a Master's Degree in physics

and channelled a little of that when Mr Fantastic explained the nature of Captain Marvel's new powers.

"Great resistance to impact", "increased physical strength", "ability to fly at high speeds".
    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    It was a confusing scene. It could be explained a number of ways, but it looks like in the MCU Monica's powers will function more like they did in her one-shot. In it Reed Richards explained that Monica's powers had changed. No longer was she able to turn into an electromagnetic energy form. Instead, her body functioned as an energy interface between our world and the extradimensional energy realm where Monica originally got her powers. This change gives Monica the ability to shunt kinetic energy. She may still have the ability to turn invisible (by essentially shunting the effects of light photons), but in the case of the WandaVision scene, by interacting with Monica as the dimensional interface, most of the bullets passed through her, losing their kinetic energy and dropping to the ground.
    Might be possible

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    I don't think this points to her having her one shot powers, I think they were pretty clear in referencing Ewing's rendition of the character. I'm pretty sure the bullets fell because of her ability to absorb kinetic energy. In her one shot she didn't have intangibility at all.

Take it with a grain of salt but I've read the theory that Monica started off with some sort of enhancement prior to the hex, which is why her X-rays are blank, she refuses blood tests and, if you pay attention, she takes the hatch door of the rover off its hinges when she escapes it. It'd be interesting if she had started off with those one shot abilities that were then altered.
    You're probably right. Like I said, it was a little confusing.

Ewing's rendition of Monica is basically Monica with her original powers, albeit boosted considerably following the enhancements that Blue Marvel made to her at the molecular level. That is the version of Monica that I'd like to see, but I suspect they will curb her abilities somehow, or simply not show her performing at the level that many of us expect.

Ultimate Member

You're probably right. Like I said, it was a little confusing.

Ewing's rendition of Monica is basically Monica with her original powers, albeit boosted considerably following the enhancements that Blue Marvel made to her at the molecular level. That is the version of Monica that I'd like to see, but I suspect they will curb her abilities somehow, or simply not show her performing at the level that many of us expect.
    You think they'd nerf her in CM2?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They've barely established her powers, so I think they'll probably have to showcase more of what she's capable of (but likely not in a way that overshadows Carol).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They've barely established her powers, so I think they'll probably have to showcase more of what she's capable of (but likely not in a way that overshadows Carol).
    I feel they can both be powerful with overshadowing each other. Plus, as you've said they've barely showed her powers so they need to better establish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would agree with this. Usually every champion gets a big "moment" in movies. But given that this is Captain Marvel 2 and not Spectrum 1, I don't expect Monica to outshine Carol...unless we get a surprise twist where Carol goes missing at the end of the movie, thus leading to a situation where Monica takes her spot in the next Avengers movie. I don't see that happening though.

Ultimate Member

I would agree with this. Usually every champion gets a big "moment" in movies. But given that this is Captain Marvel 2 and not Spectrum 1, I don't expect Monica to outshine Carol...unless we get a surprise twist where Carol goes missing at the end of the movie, thus leading to a situation where Monica takes her spot in the next Avengers movie. I don't see that happening though.
    That's true. Then again, Carol herself got outshone character-wise in her own (kinda like T'Challa did). Conversely, in Civil War, the main hero was basically one of the weakest characters power-wise.

I hope they don't make her too weak

Spectacular Member

No, a black woman is running the show. Monica will be more powerful like she is in the comics

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by superheat View Post
    No, a black woman is running the show. Monica will be more powerful like she is in the comics
    I hope so. She has an interesting power set.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch sure were friendly to one another in the last episode of the WandaVision series

Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch worked well together in the comics so it is to be so in the MCU as well.
    You Know I have been reading much into the thread lately and the debating recation to both WandaVision, How Monica came out in the show and Wanda as well.

But Besides all that Debat about if chacters came out good looking to fans, Honestly I have seen mostly Postive Reaction to all the characters overall from the show and their profiles have greatly increased thanks to it in a Postive way.

But more important, just for me Personally Monica has now become more of a Top Tier character I want to Like more and to enjoy More thanks to her postive portray in the show.

Just from My View I Become More of a growing Monica Fan thanks to the show and now I want to see her on a Regular team Avengers book more then ever before.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Ultimate Member

Yeah, and I hope in future appearances un the MCU, she uses the full range of her powers, not just flying. Carol already does that

Yeah, and I hope in future appearances un the MCU, she uses the full range of her powers, not just flying. Carol already does that
    I wonder if they'll have her fly, or make it look more like she's teleporting when she's moving on Earth? The speed of light can circle the entire Earth about 7.5 times in under a second. Monica traveling a much shorter distance...like across a city block... would appear instantaneous to the human eye. Realistically speaking, she would look like she teleported, if not leaving the optical illusion that she's in two places at once. That said, I get that the CGI special effects crew will want some say in that and churn out some cool visual effects.

Ultimate Member

I wonder if they'll have her fly, or make it look more like she's teleporting when she's moving on Earth? The speed of light can circle the entire Earth about 7.5 times in under a second. Monica traveling a much shorter distance...like across a city block... would appear instantaneous to the human eye. Realistically speaking, she would look like she teleported, if not leaving the optical illusion that she's in two places at once. That said, I get that the CGI special effects crew will want some say in that and churn out some cool visual effects.
    They could do that, although most of the time I've read her, she just flies around. But they could always change it up a bit

They could do that, although most of the time I've read her, she just flies around. But they could always change it up a bit
    Yeah, I never really quite understood the flying thing in the comics, except for when Monica was travelling long distances in outer space or something. I just chalked it up to visual cues necessary for storytelling. The reality is long before Monica raised her arms to be in a flying pose, she'd already be where she was going. Even traveling from New York to Louisiana, it only takes her milliseconds. Just for fun, people should pull out a stop watch and see what you can do in the span of milliseconds. The answer: Not much.