Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    A distraught Scarlet Witch

maintains a vigil over the immobile Vision,
    until her female teammates, trying to relax her,

have her recount her history for newcomer Captain Marvel!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    This is indeed so very lovely, I really hope they become friends in the MCU
    Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch sure were friendly to one another in the last episode of the WandaVision series

and they stay friends and go on adventures in future projects together! =)
    Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch worked well together in the comics so it is to be so in the MCU as well.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 03-05-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    Yeah I was shocked to see she isn't credited as 2nd lead for CM2. It's going to be a film with Carol and Kamala being primarily the focus. Doesn't bode well for Monica to make a significant impact. I hope they have a Nextwave series lined up for her or something.

It would suck to introduce the first powered Black female superhero to the MCU only for her to end up underutilized through the franchise.
    I'm really disappointed to hear that about CM2.

As for the show, I loved the casting and the fact that she's been brought into the MCU, but her origin felt like a throw away and I didn't like that her empowerment was dependent on Wanda. I honestly wish she had just showed up with her powers or been more heavily featured somewhere else. The first black woman with powers in the MCU and she gets them from Wanda's magic? Moreover, it felt as if she existed prop up Wanda's story and absolve her to the audience. They give so little insight into her Monica's own grief that her actions on the show were often confusing or abrupt. IDK

The whole thing just sort of felt not as carefully crafted, or considerate as I've seen done for other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Nice to see them incorporate different colors of the visible electromagnetic spectrum.

But as far as the overall portrayal of Monica in WandaVision ...well, when you're starved you'll eat just about anything. Some elements I liked (SWORD and Monica generally being perceived to be one of the most effective agents), but other aspects were disappointing (still not ok with her not having a father; still not ok with her getting her powers via Wanda basically; not enough big moments imho, which is typical for supporting cast; HATE that they introduced her as non-powered and apparently clueless that she now has powers). I could go on, but there's really no point.

At the end of the day, WandaVision brought the adult Monica to the wider audience and she's generally embraced by most. I likely won't be around to see how CM2 turns out, but hoping for the best. For Monica and her fans.
    I'm very much on the same wavelength with this. At least she's there, but the second class treatment was palpable and the repeated acts of self sacrifice for Wanda and co., while noble, also felt kinda gross. Like, girl, don't kill yourself for these white folks, its not worth it...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    I'm very much on the same wavelength with this. At least she's there, but the second class treatment was palpable and the repeated acts of self sacrifice for Wanda and co., while noble, also felt kinda gross. Like, girl, don't kill yourself for these white folks, its not worth it...
    I can see how that would be problematic. Although teaming up with the crooked white military guy might be worse.

I echo some sentiments here about her not being used enough. I wanted to see her fight.

speaking of which, do we know exactly what MCU Monica's powers are?

I feel like it would've come off better if Monica had asked Wanda to turn herself in or tried to arrest her before Wanda flew off instead of saying "they'll never know how much you sacrificed" or insinuating she would've done the same thing in Wanda's position.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I can see how that would be problematic. Although teaming up with the crooked white military guy might be worse.

I echo some sentiments here about her not being used enough. I wanted to see her fight.

speaking of which, do we know exactly what MCU Monica's powers are?
    Oh, it would be magnitudes worse if they had written her as siding with Hayward. That's definitely not an alternative I would prefer, but I do wish there was more nuance to Monica's take on Wanda's innocence, which minimized what Wanda had done, both within the plot and to the audience, and reduced Monica to a punching bag for Wanda's redemption. Maybe I'm cynical, but the whole thing felt like a ham fisted attempt to broadcast Monica being "safe"/"one of the good ones" .

I think if they had focused more on exploring Monica's own grief as motivation for her sympathizing with and helping Wanda it wouldn't have come across that way, but as it was, Monica's own dilemmas are largely forgotten about. It makes a lot her key moments feel like they came outta nowhere, namely her running through the hex and jumping in front of bullets.

Also, so far her powers seem to match up with the comics, but we haven't seen much.
    Last edited by Baby_Hater666; 03-05-2021 at 01:30 PM.

Agreed. She should have been the "third" side of this.

Understanding Wanda's grief but also understanding you can't mind control a whole damn city to deal with it.

She didn't have to be "team wanda" and she didnt' have to be "team sword." She should have been the third option with her own agency.

Instead, she went from "wandas doing it!" to "no be nice to wanda bc reasons" and it just came off as... dumb.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby_Hater666 View Post
    I'm really disappointed to hear that about CM2.

As for the show, I loved the casting and the fact that she's been brought into the MCU, but her origin felt like a throw away and I didn't like that her empowerment was dependent on Wanda. I honestly wish she had just showed up with her powers or been more heavily featured somewhere else. The first black woman with powers in the MCU and she gets them from Wanda's magic? Moreover, it felt as if she existed prop up Wanda's story and absolve her to the audience. They give so little insight into her Monica's own grief that her actions on the show were often confusing or abrupt. IDK

The whole thing just sort of felt not as carefully crafted, or considerate as I've seen done for other characters.
    It came off as a rush job just to get her powered and prepared for CM2. Hopefully Nia Dacosta does a better job with exploring and utilizing her, but that casting news I read doesn't inspire much confidence. She needs to lead her own series/film.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

At the end of the day, WandaVision brought the adult Monica to the wider audience and she's generally embraced by most. I likely won't be around to see how CM2 turns out, but hoping for the best. For Monica and her fans.
    Why not?

Ultimate Member

What does the casting news say?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Agreed. She should have been the "third" side of this.

Understanding Wanda's grief but also understanding you can't mind control a whole damn city to deal with it.

She didn't have to be "team wanda" and she didnt' have to be "team sword." She should have been the third option with her own agency.

Instead, she went from "wandas doing it!" to "no be nice to wanda bc reasons" and it just came off as... dumb.
    I completely agree.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    Why not?
    CM2 isn't scheduled for release until Nov 2022. The sand in my Marvel hourglass will have run out long before then. I came back to see if Marvel had changed. I see now that it hasn't changed nearly enough, and where those changes are most obvious, well, those changes aren't necessarily for the better imho.

Ultimate Member

I'm wondering how all this will impact Monica in CM2

so clearly Monica knows what skrulls are, she wasn't super-surprised about the person who changed on her. LOL.

I didn't see Monica as super-invested with whatever SWORD's agenda was, ultimately. She was trying to get back up into outer space, not investigate domestic time warps.

I guess more powers will be revealed in CM2, or somewhere else.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so clearly Monica knows what skrulls are, she wasn't super-surprised about the person who changed on her. LOL.

I didn't see Monica as super-invested with whatever SWORD's agenda was, ultimately. She was trying to get back up into outer space, not investigate domestic time warps.

I guess more powers will be revealed in CM2, or somewhere else.
    Monica has met Skrulls before, recall. As a child, during the events of Captain Marvel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Monica has met Skrulls before, recall. As a child, during the events of Captain Marvel.
    These Skrulls are still good, but I wonder how this links to Secret Invasion.