Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Yeah, I never really quite understood the flying thing in the comics, except for when Monica was travelling long distances in outer space or something. I just chalked it up to visual cues necessary for storytelling. The reality is long before Monica raised her arms to be in a flying pose, she'd already be where she was going. Even traveling from New York to Louisiana, it only takes her milliseconds. Just for fun, people should pull out a stop watch and see what you can do in the span of milliseconds. The answer: Not much.
    Perhaps her travelling at light speed takes too much energy, so she only uses it sparingly. Idk,

She can also become invisible sometimes, if I remember correctly, so I hope they use that. It's not a power used much in the MCU but it could be very useful

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Perhaps her travelling at light speed takes too much energy, so she only uses it sparingly. Idk,

She can also become invisible sometimes, if I remember correctly, so I hope they use that. It's not a power used much in the MCU but it could be very useful
    Monica becomes the electromagnetic energy form and has all of its properties. This is not an exertion for her. Water doesn't get tired from being wet. That's just what it is. Know what I mean?

All of the energies in the electromagnetic spectrum move at the speed of light. All of them. The only time they aren't moving that fast is when traveling through certain mediums. They are "slower" but not noticeably so by the human eye. And you're right, some of Monica's electromagnetic energy forms are outside of the visual spectrum. She might be detectable in some of those forms by technological devices, but none of those forms can be seen unaided by the normal human eye. She is invisible.

I realize in comics they add artifacts and false features to the science. Like Monica being able to slow down when she flies linearly between two points. I get it, it's no fun telling a story encumbered by a more realistic scientific interpretation. But if written to her true capabilities without being jobbed, Monica is easily one of the most dangerously powerful characters in the Marvel universe. She would end most threats, no matter how powerful, in milliseconds or faster. And they'd never know what hit them, because the speed at which the electrical impulses in their brain fired would always be steps behind Monica's action.

Yeah, and I hope in future appearances un the MCU, she uses the full range of her powers, not just flying. Carol already does that
    hopefully they can have Monica go nova next to a planet of hostile monsters (let's say, the brood; any aliens with earth-parallel "family lives" would have an obvious uncomfortable context).

Ultimate Member

Monica becomes the electromagnetic energy form and has all of its properties. This is not an exertion for her. Water doesn't get tired from being wet. That's just what it is. Know what I mean?

All of the energies in the electromagnetic spectrum move at the speed of light. All of them. The only time they aren't moving that fast is when traveling through certain mediums. They are "slower" but not noticeably so by the human eye. And you're right, some of Monica's electromagnetic energy forms are outside of the visual spectrum. She might be detectable in some of those forms by technological devices, but none of those forms can be seen unaided by the normal human eye. She is invisible.

I realize in comics they add artifacts and false features to the science. Like Monica being able to slow down when she flies linearly between two points. I get it, it's no fun telling a story encumbered by a more realistic scientific interpretation. But if written to her true capabilities without being jobbed, Monica is easily one of the most dangerously powerful characters in the Marvel universe. She would end most threats, no matter how powerful, in milliseconds or faster. And they'd never know what hit them, because the speed at which the electrical impulses in their brain fired would always be steps behind Monica's action.
    I know. I was just trying to think of why the writers would justify it. But anyway, hopefully we see her go full power at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hopefully they can have Monica go nova next to a planet of hostile monsters (let's say, the brood; any aliens with earth-parallel "family lives" would have an obvious uncomfortable context).
    I'd like to see hostile and possibly friendly monsters as well

Ultimate Member

The one advantage with Monica is that, generally, she's been portrayed as having a mind that thinks in human time constraints, even if, technically, her entire physical brain being converted to light, it should work much faster (if at all...). So she could still get shot, for instance, by someone who catches her by surprise, before she can transform, and someone doing something fast, like pulling a trigger or dropping a dead-man switch, could still do it before she could *react*, even if her reaction could get her around the world eight times in a second at her cruising speed!

Once they advance her up to the stage where she thinks and reacts at superhuman speed, it becomes much harder to write meaningful challenges for her, since she's going to *always* going to be having done whatever she can do, *before* the bad guys even get a chance to start monologuing, and that's not really much fun, since she either can't do anything to affect them (in which case why was she even there?) or she resolved the entire situation before the rest of her team noticed there was a threat (in which case why were *they* even there?).

Keeping her a tad more 'grounded' with human reaction speeds, but ridiculous travel speeds, makes her a little more writable, IMO.

I did like her more in her earlier days, when she could turn into any sort of EM spectrum energy, but not necessarily *do* anything she wanted so long as she said the name of some energy first like an energy based Dr. Strange (which I first noticed in Nextwave, and I thought an artifact of the over-the-top quasi-canonical nature of that story, but then it carried over to her Mighty Avengers appearances...).

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Keeping her a tad more 'grounded' with human reaction speeds, but ridiculous travel speeds, makes her a little more writable, IMO.
    True, that was one of the first compromises of writing Monica. She had to have more or less "normal" human thought processing time and reaction.

However, while in energy form and operating at light speed she also benefits from having a form of Cosmic Awareness. Ewing pointed that out when Monica and MAC were fending off aliens in Ultimates. Even operating at light speed Monica could see MAC and have a full stream of thought, which frankly wouldn't be possible if her perceptions, reaction time, etc., were truly normal. Monica's thoughts actually do occur faster than the speed of light while she's in energy form. It's really an inconsistency that can't be explained, except for Cosmic Awareness. It's just like Flash and the Speed Force. Cosmic Awareness is the catch-all explanation. It's tricky, but I guess as long as readers don't question it, it's all good.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Feige and crew might give her a mental handicap from prolonged lightspeed travel.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Feige and crew might give her a mental handicap from prolonged lightspeed travel.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that...at least in the MCU.

A long time ago there was some mention of Monica's body mass possibly being a limiting factor as well. The longer she was in energy form, the more mass she shed. I thought that would have set reasonable parameters on Monica swapping her physical form for her energy form too often. But then Ewing came along and introduced the notion that Monica probably was a living light form all along masquerading as human flesh. Not sure where we are with that now. Guess I'll go pick up the Strikeforce books and see if there was any new twists on that front.

BANNED

The Marvels

Rebranding the film as “The Marvels” gives them a chance to introduce Adam Brashear

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    Rebranding the film as “The Marvels” gives them a chance to introduce Adam Brashear
    I know people want to see him, but is there anything more to it than speculation?

BANNED

A chance to introduce the telekinetic mutants Marvel Girl Jean Grey and Marvel Boy Vance Astrovik.

Of course the super-humans, Blue Marvel Adam Brashear and Captain Marvel Monica Rambeau as well.

Ultimate Member

Wouldn't Vance appear in Guardians?

And I've probably had enough Jean Grey for a while

I know people want to see him, but is there anything more to it than speculation?
    https://fandomwire.com/captain-marve...an-type-actor/

BANNED

Like in the comics there can be two! One in the present, the other from a 1000 years in the future.

No-no-no-no. Marvel Girl is IMPORTANT! It is a FACT that MG is the first woman of marvel to have the company's name in her superhero name.
    To honor her, she is to be the leader of her own super hero team in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Let's begin with a cameo of MG in the movie with the title "The Marvels".