Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Captain Marvel & Spider-Man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Marve.../dp/1302917560

Based on the listing (above-with a preview!)of the stories in it, its a mixed bag. Decent enough though. The CAPTAIN MARVEL one-shots were kind of perfunctory in order to maintain the copyright. Not too compelling but super competent executed to keep Monica's story going after she was written out of AVENGERS post- Roger Stern. The MARVEL FANFARE stuff is pretty good since that was a prestige outlet for standalone tales. I *do* hope they correct making Marie Laveau a white woman. The part of the story that Monica, a New Orleanean, didn't know who Laveau was offensive to begin with, but then to make Marie a non-Creole woman is salt in the wound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Forces collide! Take a trip with SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN as he aligns himself with…KANG THE CONQUEROR? That can’t be right. Be here in January to see how the pieces fit as Spider-Man heads to space! You’ll never guess who else is here to help Spidey! (Hint: She’s on the cover!)

Captain Marvel is happy alright

BANNED

A distraught Scarlet Witch

maintains a vigil over the immobile Vision,
    until her female teammates, trying to relax her,

have her recount her history for newcomer Captain Marvel!

Crazy how people are just now discovering this powerful, beautiful black female that really should be on the A level of heroes. She been here all along!

Extraordinary Member

Funny, I never would have thought to make comics Monica a member of SWORD.

I’m so used to her being New Orleans harbor patrol when not being a superhero.

The adaptation works a lot better with that being her occupation.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    A distraught Scarlet Witch

maintains a vigil over the immobile Vision,
    until her female teammates, trying to relax her,

have her recount her history for newcomer Captain Marvel!
    This is indeed so very lovely, I really hope they become friends in the MCU and they stay friends and go on adventures in future projects together! =)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I’m really happy the reception to Monica has been overwhelming positive in the MCU. Honestly I was terrified she’d end up being a magnet for haters like Carol is right now.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I wonder if they're going to continue the blue eyes thing whenever Monica activates her powers?

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT Dwayne Glenn McDuffie!!!!

Monica Rambeau in WandaVision is a SWORD operative and it seems that her journey
    into and out of The Hex on a repeated basis is creating powers of her own.
    But in confrontation with Wanda Maximoff in episode 7 on Disney+, her powers seem
    to be more "physical" than her original electromagnetic and light powers from the comic books.

Indeed, they are closer to the altered powers from the Captain Marvel one-shot
    from 1989
    by Dwayne McDuffie and Mark Bright, who also worked on Icon together.
    Dwayne McDuffie https://13thdimension.com/the-top-13...uffie-stories/ had a Master's Degree in physics

and channelled a little of that when Mr Fantastic explained the nature of Captain Marvel's new powers.

"Great resistance to impact", "increased physical strength", "ability to fly at high speeds".

**spoilers ** Wow. WandaVision Ep7. I hope that was the best episode yet for Monica fans everywhere! That was brilliant. I've always wondered how Marvel was going to show us how she gets her powers visually and they absolutely nailed it. I can't wait to see how her powers develop onscreen. I was hoping for Prof. Leclair to show up. I remember back in Strikeforce that Hellstrom mentioned that Monica was an engineer and now it makes sense. That was the first Monica MCU to MU-616 synergy. The other was No Road Home, she wasn't yellow/gold light, she was electric/lightning blue. However how Marvel wants to change her, I'm just wishing for another one-shot and or ongoing series.

Quote Originally Posted by EMPulse View Post
    The other was No Road Home, she wasn't yellow/gold light, she was electric/lightning blue. However how Marvel wants to change her, I'm just wishing for another one-shot and or ongoing series.
    I imagine due to the wow factor of special effects they chose blue. Technically, the Visible electromagnetic spectrum encompasses all of the various colors and Monica can appear as any color she chose.

Where some get it wrong is that they think that all of her energy forms are actually visible, and that's not the case. Microwaves, Ultraviolet Light, X-rays, Radio Waves, Infrared waves, Gamma rays, etc., are invisible to the human eye. People with highly enhanced perceptions -- like Blue Marvel, Starhawk, Silver Surfer and other heralds of Galactus, and similar beings -- can possibly see Monica, if their vision extends to whatever wavelength Monica happens to be in at the time. But for the most part Monica is invisible when she's in any form that isn't specifically a Visible Light form.

When you consider Monica's powers in totality, it's truly disappointing that she's never mentioned as one of the most dangerous foes anyone could face. I actually laughed during WandaVision when Wanda threatened Monica -- because if Monica was truly in command of all of her powers, she'd end Wanda in fractions of a fraction of a second and be outside the range of Wanda's powers before Wanda knew what hit her. But I'm sure they'll write it like Wanda is the bee's knees.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I’m really happy the reception to Monica has been overwhelming positive in the MCU. Honestly I was terrified she’d end up being a magnet for haters like Carol is right now.
    Same, it's been refreshing so far although I don't expect the calm to last.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I wonder if they're going to continue the blue eyes thing whenever Monica activates her powers?
    I actually had mixed feelings on this because all I could think about is how we've never had a blue-eyed Storm in the movies so far.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    I actually had mixed feelings on this because all I could think about is how we've never had a blue-eyed Storm in the movies so far.
    I thought of Storm immediately. I don't want a situation where anyone might think that Monica is stealing Storm's thunder in any way.

Imho, they could have given Monica any eye color and it would have worked just as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I thought of Storm immediately. I don't want a situation where anyone might think that Monica is stealing Storm's thunder in any way.

Imho, they could have given Monica any eye color and it would have worked just as well.
    My guess for the reason they didn't go for gold was because Carol Danvers already has gold colored energy powers. Red or pink wouldn't work since Wanda uses those colors. The end of the episode shows us that purple has been taken as well. So that really does just leave blue or green and I don't think green would work very well for Monica.

Where some get it wrong is that they think that all of her energy forms are actually visible, and that's not the case. Microwaves, Ultraviolet Light, X-rays, Radio Waves, Infrared waves, Gamma rays, etc., are invisible to the human eye. People with highly enhanced perceptions -- like Blue Marvel, Starhawk, Silver Surfer and other heralds of Galactus, and similar beings -- can possibly see Monica, if their vision extends to whatever wavelength Monica happens to be in at the time. But for the most part Monica is invisible when she's in any form that isn't specifically a Visible Light form.
    This is very true. The artists have to highlight her in colour for the readers benefit, otherwise we'd never see her on page when she is using her powers!

Incredible Member

When you consider Monica's powers in totality, it's truly disappointing that she's never mentioned as one of the most dangerous foes anyone could face. I actually laughed during WandaVision when Wanda threatened Monica -- because if Monica was truly in command of all of her powers, she'd end Wanda in fractions of a fraction of a second and be outside the range of Wanda's powers before Wanda knew what hit her. But I'm sure they'll write it like Wanda is the bee's knees.
    In true MCU fashion, I'm expecting her abilities to be nerfed a bit, but hopefully she is still properly displayed as a heavy hitter. In theory, she should be up there with Carol, and Thor in terms of the strongest Avengers. Wanda and Strange, despite having devastating power, are still human with human level reactions. Monica could literally fry both of their brains before they blink if she wanted to.