Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

It did end with to be continued, but it doesn't continue in Batman Secret Files, which is a series of unconnected one-shots. Maybe check the October solicits when they're released?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I guess Secret Files is like a backdoor pilot. Tv shows tend to do it alot.

I liked the issue itself. A lot of bold concepts that help sell the daytime era and Duke as a character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I guess Secret Files is like a backdoor pilot. Tv shows tend to do it alot.

I liked the issue itself. A lot of bold concepts that help sell the daytime era and Duke as a character.
    Proably to not be picked back up until next February
    DC present its celebration of African American heroes

I wish it was possible for duke to crossover to the dakotaverse

I didn't like it at all.

spoilers:

It's hard to care about anything about the story, when they build up Duke in the beginning just for him to have his ass beat in a ridiculously one sided manner. Riko's heel turn make sense, but her stomping Duke does not. After chapter 10 of Jace Second Son and now this, I'm getting tired of seeing this plot device of a Black male character getting his ass beat in a on sided fashion against some nobody. Especially a dude that trains every day in martial arts and has been through the **** he has. Even with your guard down, a martial artist would still have instincts to dodge/counter/defend. But naw, he just gets written to be a human punching bag for some emo chick that still can't get over her pathetic jealousy.

How are you supposed to take Duke seriously when the man can't even defend himself?
    end of spoilers
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    I didn't like it at all.

spoilers:

It's hard to care about anything about the story, when they build up Duke in the beginning just for him to have his ass beat in a ridiculously one sided manner. Riko's heel turn make sense, but her stomping Duke does not. After chapter 10 of Jace Second Son and now this, I'm getting tired of seeing this plot device of a Black male character getting his ass beat in a on sided fashion against some nobody. Especially a dude that trains every day in martial arts and has been through the **** he has. Even with your guard down, a martial artist would still have instincts to dodge/counter/defend. But naw, he just gets written to be a human punching bag for some emo chick that still can't get over her pathetic jealousy.

How are you supposed to take Duke seriously when the man can't even defend himself?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:

Duke is way more well trained than Riko. But I think you are underestimating her slightly - her fighting skills are probably way above the average person on the street so I don't think its fair to say she is some nobody. She was a member of We are Robin and alongside Izzy was the only one to get clearance from Batman so that alone shows she is pretty competent.

I also never really got the impression Duke was actually trying to hurt her, apart from Izzy he was closest to Riko. If one of your closest friends attacked you I think you would be pretty confused and probably not at the top of your game. Unless I am mistaken I don't think we see him retaliate towards Riko once, which suggests to me that Duke was not fighting to take her out.

Not to mention he was utterly blindsided by the fact she has powers and can see him while he is invisible. He took Dax out with ease so my theory is he most likely hesitated taking out Riko since he didn't want to injure her not realizing she can see where he is. If Duke is holding back and doesn't realize she can see him, it would be pretty easy for her to hit him with a high flying kick.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    spoilers:

Duke is way more well trained than Riko. But I think you are underestimating her slightly - her fighting skills are probably way above the average person on the street so I don't think its fair to say she is some nobody. She was a member of We are Robin and alongside Izzy was the only one to get clearance from Batman so that alone shows she is pretty competent.

I also never really got the impression Duke was actually trying to hurt her, apart from Izzy he was closest to Riko. If one of your closest friends attacked you I think you would be pretty confused and probably not at the top of your game. Unless I am mistaken I don't think we see him retaliate towards Riko once, which suggests to me that Duke was not fighting to take her out.

Not to mention he was utterly blindsided by the fact she has powers and can see him while he is invisible. He took Dax out with ease so my theory is he most likely hesitated taking out Riko since he didn't want to injure her not realizing she can see where he is. If Duke is holding back and doesn't realize she can see him, it would be pretty easy for her to hit him with a high flying kick.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Looking at even your first sentence. Can you honestly tell me anything in that fight sequence alludes to Duke being more trained than Riko? This is not meant to be rude, but simply an honest question.

Getting ambushed by a friend is one thing, yes it confuses you at first. But when your being attacked, your training kicks in and you defend without thinking about it. I'm not sure if you ever been in a fight before, but regardless who is attacking you, you don't just sit there like human punching bag.

Yes, Riko is a nobody. If Signal stopped getting stories, would she ever appear in the DC universe again?
    end of spoilers

This is a one shot... If this was your first time reading anything about Duke/Signal, would this inspire you to read more about the character?
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

I didn't like it at all.

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    you're making a mountain out of a molehill. you're acting as if it was 40 pages of Riko dog walking Duke. it's not like in Outsiders where they had Ishmael manhandle and ragdolling Duke. she caught him slipping, did you miss the part where he dropped her mans? you can't prioritize scaling the character over the context of the interaction in the narrative. it's the same mind of thinking when people were complaining about Duke sparring with Cass and claiming "oh, see he caught he kick and he called her slow! DC is using Cass as a punching bag". we've seen random henchmen get the drop on Batman, not every story needs the protagonist to be an untouchable John Wick-ian machine. notice how he put himself on the line to save her, clearly he doesn't see Riko as a enemy, so he wasn't going all out before.

spoilers:
    Looking at even your first sentence. Can you honestly tell me anything in that fight sequence alludes to Duke being more trained than Riko? This is not meant to be rude, but simply an honest question.

Getting ambushed by a friend is one thing, yes it confuses you at first. But when your being attacked, your training kicks in and you defend without thinking about it. I'm not sure if you ever been in a fight before, but regardless who is attacking you, you don't just sit there like human punching bag.

Yes, Riko is a nobody. If Signal stopped getting stories, would she ever appear in the DC universe again?
    end of spoilers

This is a one shot... If this was your first time reading anything about Duke/Signal, would this inspire you to read more about the character?
    I don't see why you wouldn't. at worst I can see a new reader possibly being overwhelmed by the volume of open ended plot threads and references to Duke's previous adventures, but there was a lot more in the issue other than the one fight scene you're focusing it down to. Riko is a "nobody" but if you're a new reader literally everyone is a "nobody". your critique seems to be based on your expectations of Duke and Riko, but a new reader isn't gonna be looking that deeply at how Signal is scaled to this obvious antagonist type character that's meant to physically challenge him in the narrative. most new readers would be more interested in seeing what else his powers do, figuring out who is behind the White Market, wondering where Duke's mom was taken at the end; things related to the plot that were purposely teased to be continued elsewhere.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Re-read it again... I get your point, it makes sense. It still leaves a sour taste in my mouth as you don't see any of the Robins taking Ls like Duke. spoilers:
    Even in this issue, not just Riko, but with the purple dude as well. Yea, he beat Dax... a dude that's just standing there. cool.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Proably to not be picked back up until next February
    DC present its celebration of African American heroes

I wish it was possible for duke to crossover to the dakotaverse
    They could do a one-shot where he does crossover into the Milestone Universe.

Ultimate Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batm...ng-on-concept/

With his own version of the Bat's nocturnal infrastructure, Duke Thomas has shone brightly as an Outsider, and in the We Are Robin series of years past to find his place in broad daylight as Gotham's sunshine soldier. This is done with great elements, but Batman Secret Files: The Signal #1 hit some snags along the road.

it looks like Duke will be taking center stage in an another Outsiders story in Urban Legends by Brandon Thomas

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #8
    Written by ALYSSA WONG, BRANDON THOMAS, DAN WATTERS, and CHRISTIAN WARD

Art by VASCO GEORGIEV, CIAN TORMEY, NIKOLA ČIŽMEŠIJA, and CHRISTIAN WARD

Outsiders: FEAR STATE TIE-IN! Scarecrow has stirred Gotham City into a panic, and it’s awakened one of his first students he experimented on, a man turned into a monster known as THE FEARFUL! The Outsiders will have to reunite with the Signal in order to stop the Fearful and keep the city at peace. But a message from the world of FUTURE STATE reaches the Signal and changes everything.

EDIT: Also, basing this off the cover so take this observation with a big grain of salt, it looks like we may be seeing Duke face-off against the Outsiders for a second; which could be a super cool moment for him.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-16-2021 at 09:12 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Fearful sounds like he should join the Victim Syndicate.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What happened to Metamorphooh right fear gas. Everyone else too.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it looks like Duke will be taking center stage in an another Outsiders story in Urban Legends by Brandon Thomas

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #8
    Written by ALYSSA WONG, BRANDON THOMAS, DAN WATTERS, and CHRISTIAN WARD

Art by VASCO GEORGIEV, CIAN TORMEY, NIKOLA ČIŽMEŠIJA, and CHRISTIAN WARD

Outsiders: FEAR STATE TIE-IN! Scarecrow has stirred Gotham City into a panic, and it’s awakened one of his first students he experimented on, a man turned into a monster known as THE FEARFUL! The Outsiders will have to reunite with the Signal in order to stop the Fearful and keep the city at peace. But a message from the world of FUTURE STATE reaches the Signal and changes everything.

EDIT: Also, basing this off the cover so take this observation with a big grain of salt, it looks like we may be seeing Duke face-off against the Outsiders for a second; which could be a super cool moment for him.
    I haven't really followed on Duke lately, but in this cover he's holding escrima sticks and perching in some kind of Nightwing position, which feels a bit weird.
    Doesn't he have a different signature weapon of choice? He really shouldn't look like a knock off Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    I haven't really followed on Duke lately, but in this cover he's holding escrima sticks and perching in some kind of Nightwing position, which feels a bit weird.
    Doesn't he have a different signature weapon of choice? He really shouldn't look like a knock off Nightwing.
    these escrima have been his signature since he's been the Signal. they have retractable bat shaped hatchet blades that are usually exposed, and they also connect like nunchucks (which was his signature weapon dur8ng We are Robin) though, I feel heroes using batons and escrima are pretty common, and I don't think Nightwing has a monopoly on perching; respectfully. i guess i can see the Nightwing resemblance if you're really looking for it but i don't really think it's enough that he's remotely close to being considered a knock off Nightwing.

currently following: