Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    I really like how Duke has been developing lately. Definitely a step up from how he was used in Hill's Outsiders.
    yeah. while I maintain that Outsiders was (in retrospect) a somewhat important series for Duke, Hill 100% is the weakest writer to pen Duke thus far. it formed important relationships for Duke outside of just Batman (his partnership with Cassandra, his mentorship under Black Lightning, Katana, and Lady Shiva, and an antagonistic relationship with Ra's) and it helped broaden the scale of his powers but his characterization was not good. Duke read like a completely different character and the expansion of his powers felt like it was incidental because it read more like he really wanted to replace Duke's light powers with something "cooler" but failed and had to slip in a line about "oh I can feel the light coming back" in the last issue. Hill's Outsiders coulda been so good had he not been so obsessed with trying to use it as an audition to write Batman (his words) and focused on building on Duke, and the rest of the Outsiders, like Thomas has been with his Future State and post-Future State stuff.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

interesting note from Duke's entry in the most recent DC Encyclopedia: Duke has yellow eyes.

cool little fan art where Duke has his canonically yellow eyes. art by @antygabo14
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I'm excited to see the animated series for kids, it's nice to see Duke showing up more. I hope that in the near future we get to have him in more animated and live action shows. Actually would be nice to see him in YJ in the future.

WE GOT A HYPE ASS PREVIEW!! Cian Tormey just dropped a preview for Urban Legends #9 and we get a look at what Duke's shadow traversal (or maybe the photo-shadow traversal?) looks like from the inside!

Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-01-2021 at 05:16 PM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

WE GOT A HYPE ASS PREVIEW!! Cian Tormey just dropped a preview for Urban Legends #9 and we get a look at what Duke's shadow travesal looks like from the inside!

This epic! Amazing art

Extraordinary Member

Duke is a genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Duke is a genius?
    yeah, Duke was apparently up for a genius grant when he was 12 but lost out to Daryl Gutierrez prior to his Mr. Bloom stuff; thats actually how they knew each other even though Daryl appears to be several years older than Duke. We don't really find out what the grant was for but his academic career went downhill once his parents got jokerized and he went into foster care. his intelligence was referenced more earlier in his career from time to time but isn't talked about as much since training and becoming Signal. it looks like his genius moreso lies in his high emotional intelligence, considering thats been the most consistent trait with Duke.

currently following:

WE GOT A HYPE ASS PREVIEW!! Cian Tormey just dropped a preview for Urban Legends #9 and we get a look at what Duke's shadow traversal (or maybe the photo-shadow traversal?) looks like from the inside!

If Outsiders gets an ongoing, I would love it if they're the main artist. That looks sick.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I have to say, Brandon Thomas continues to really impress me with the way he writes Duke. I hope he gets to be the guy carrying him forward.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

yeah, Duke was apparently up for a genius grant when he was 12 but lost out to Daryl Gutierrez prior to his Mr. Bloom stuff; thats actually how they knew each other even though Daryl appears to be several years older than Duke. We don't really find out what the grant was for but his academic career went downhill once his parents got jokerized and he went into foster care. his intelligence was referenced more earlier in his career from time to time but isn't talked about as much since training and becoming Signal. it looks like his genius moreso lies in his high emotional intelligence, considering thats been the most consistent trait with Duke.
    they slap genius on everyone it becomes worthless on their resume

It is what it is i guess. that's kinda a non-issue considering like 90% of the Batfamily and/or non-powered superheroes had "genius" on their resume before Duke even entered the picture anyway. I don't see the point of drawing the line at Duke. I mean you probably would HAVE to be a genius polymath to some degree to do what they do, especially if you are doing it Batman's way. there are plenty stories showing that not just any old body can do what they do for a reason.

with all due respect, not tryna knock on you specifically but I'm getting a lil tired of these flat takes questioning why characters (especially characters like Duke) should or shouldn't be able to do what they can do in superhero fiction.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-04-2021 at 03:54 PM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

It is what it is i guess. that's kinda a non-issue considering like 90% of the Batfamily and/or non-powered superheroes had "genius" on their resume before Duke even entered the picture anyway. I don't see the point of drawing the line at Duke. I mean you probably would HAVE to be a genius polymath to some degree to do what they do, especially if you are doing it Batman's way. there are plenty stories showing that not just any old body can do what they do for a reason.

with all due respect, not tryna knock on you specifically but I'm getting a lil tired of these flat takes questioning why characters (especially characters like Duke) should or shouldn't be able to do what they can do in superhero fiction.
    I’m not drawing the line
    It kind irks me that with bat characters I’m pretty sure the entire inner circle are considered genius
    Jason tacticaly

Astonishing Member

Not sure what the relevant point is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Not sure what the relevant point is.
    I think the issue is they toss Genius on folks and MOST of the time we do NOT see it in action. Especially when they are around certain characters where that is SHOWN.

Static-MADE all his crap in his original comic. Yet the cartoon, New 52 and even the current book implies he needs help or someone else has to make stuff for him. He does NOT need Hardware. Static is not STUPID.
    Black Panther made Falcon's wings and another version of Cap's shield. Yet all his genius qualities are now taking a back seat to his sister.
    Riri built her own suit of armor and was at MIT.
    Moon Girl has a LAB under her house like Dexter.
    Prodigy-of ANYONE in Marvel that should NOT have his intelligence question is HIM.
    Lt Uhura-of ALL Star Trek characters that understand languages Star Trek 6 had Kirk ask a computer to translate. Not the EXPERT.

Folks openly question their intelligence. Far too many times characters like Duke are NOT shown to have solutions in stories. They have to defer to a Batman or Reed Richards. Unlike Peter Parker, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake and others. Who have been continently show to be above average.

This is what happens when folks don't get stories that show case their skills.

Duke Thomas by James Tucker.

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVtkwbSP...EXQU9-6iGn2o0/

jtuckeranimator_250401089_3062541.jpg

With Duke making the jump to animation with “Batwheels” plus catching his solo book recently, I thought it’d be fun to put him in the BTBATB style. Too bad he wasn’t created back then! We coulda used him!