Quote Originally Posted by Hellscream View Post
I already gave my opnion on the writer and the most recent Outsider. So if they chart Duke for now on. I'll keep my mouth shut and let people enjoy it.

I said 30 issues because
Cassandra (Batgirl) 73 issues solo
Tim Drake ( Robin) 184 sol + 26 Red Robin issues
Damian (Robin) 26 issues solo, but has the most team ups
So If they going to do this character justice, than drop the team ups and focus on his background. Than new readers that picked up the most recent Signal, wont be saying who is this. Heck in the webtoon it just seem exposure.

Concerning his power set, which thank you for taking the time to explain. It seem to me he dont need an new trick each book he is written in. I.E two Outsiders run that Duke gain Darkness/shadow and a Demon arm. When he has a power set or untapped power to walk in to.

Retocognition -look at battlefields, training grounds (Themisycara) and mimicking the warriors movements and plans. Or just be A Justice League chronicler to start out.
Telepathy (untouched)- because of not training someone can be having access to him that can lead to meeting Martian manhunter for aid/training.
Boosting Metas- An sleeping army, make Jefferson (black lighting) beast mode. Or use him/ Riko to make metas. Which I think thats what they are doing.
Shadow/powers-No clue
Intelligence-I thought it was in genetics which is not in any batfamily wheel house.
Thats just me rambling.

But please let Duke cure his family members. Because this feel like they going to do Identity Crisis down the line for the back story
eeeeh i see this take floated around a lot and honestly the idea that " Duke gets a new trick/power each book" seems like a bit of an exaggeration. it feels more like people not really keeping up with his character and being surprised by the new developments because, I mean, it's not like he's even really been in all that many books since becoming Signal in the first place. fewer that really alter his powers all that drastically. the demon arm wasn't a new power, it was just something specifically for the Urban Legends Outsiders story. Duke never acquired it in the canon timeline and his future self no longer possessed by the end if the story. the most significant "new trick" has been the expansion of his powers that led to the shadow abilities but, even then, they do make sense as an extension of his light abilities; even if Hill didn't execute their introduction particularly well. DC hasn't really added any new tricks to Duke's metahuman repertoire that don't build off his existing abilities and, even with these new applications from his powers expanding, Duke's powers are still a pretty underdeveloped development for his character.

as for the 30 issue thing, I get the reasoning for wanting 30+ issues (again, I'd love to get 30 issues of straight Duke content) but I'm talking from a practical standpoint. DC is probably not going to just give Duke 30 issues to explore every nook and cranny of his character. a more efficient and realistic number would be 6-12 issues, which would be in-line with the limited series/trade strategy DC's been exploring lately. so long as they don't make the mistake of having someone try to bait DC into giving them more issues at the end, that should be enough for a competent creative team to hone in on and tell a tight focused story that establishes who Duke is. Thomas did a better job communicating who Duke is, in a way that's aligns with his character from We are Robin through to Batman and the Signal and Outsiders, in 4 issue than Bryan Hill did in 20+, Brandon Easton did a great job building a foundation for Mister Miracle in 6, Tom Taylor wrote a killer Suicide Squad run with practically all new characters in less than 12, Bendis and David Walker established Naomi in 6, Milestone has been doing a great job re-introducing their characters in 6, Tom King's best works are always his 12 issues, etc. had Tony Patrick been given the 6 issues he was initially slated , I feel we'd have probably gotten a better starting point for Duke.