Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Tony Patrick and Christian Duce Bring The Signal Back to Gotham City

atman Secret Files – A New DC Comic Book Series Spotlighting Solo Adventures of The Dark Knight’s Crimefighting Allies

Batman fans everywhere know that there’s a lot of shady stuff going on in Gotham City and even the Caped Crusader can’t be everywhere at once, especially now. Fortunately, there are plenty of Bat-Family heroes on hand to take up the battle against crime! This July, DC launches Batman Secret Files, a new monthly series of one-shots featuring Batman’s partners in crimefighting. In this series, Bat-fans will see new adventures in Gotham City, exploring the deep bench of heroes the Dark Knight has inspired.

Batman Secret Files: The Signal #1

The return of Duke Thomas, a.k.a. The Signal, kicks off this series on Tuesday, July 7. In a story written by Tony Patrick (Batman and The Signal) with art by Christian Duce (The Flash, Detective Comics, Justice League vs. Suicide Squad). The Signal comes back as Gotham City’s daytime protector after his time with the Outsiders. But during his sabbatical from his hometown, everything about the city and the people closest to him changed. And the mystery of the White Market, a deadly source of weapons being trafficked into Gotham City that even Batman can’t track down, will only push the Signal further away from everything he knows and into a brand-new world of danger.

This 40-page one-shot features a main cover by Ken Lashley with a variant cover by Cully Hamner (Batman and The Signal).

Extraordinary Member

Variant:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

atman Secret Files – A New DC Comic Book Series Spotlighting Solo Adventures of The Dark Knight’s Crimefighting Allies

Batman fans everywhere know that there’s a lot of shady stuff going on in Gotham City and even the Caped Crusader can’t be everywhere at once, especially now. Fortunately, there are plenty of Bat-Family heroes on hand to take up the battle against crime! This July, DC launches Batman Secret Files, a new monthly series of one-shots featuring Batman’s partners in crimefighting. In this series, Bat-fans will see new adventures in Gotham City, exploring the deep bench of heroes the Dark Knight has inspired.

The return of Duke Thomas, a.k.a. The Signal, kicks off this series on Tuesday, July 7. In a story written by Tony Patrick (Batman and The Signal) with art by Christian Duce (The Flash, Detective Comics, Justice League vs. Suicide Squad). The Signal comes back as Gotham City’s daytime protector after his time with the Outsiders. But during his sabbatical from his hometown, everything about the city and the people closest to him changed. And the mystery of the White Market, a deadly source of weapons being trafficked into Gotham City that even Batman can’t track down, will only push the Signal further away from everything he knows and into a brand-new world of danger.

This 40-page one-shot features a main cover by Ken Lashley with a variant cover by Cully Hamner (Batman and The Signal).
    super excited for this!

Big fan of Duke! Wonder if we will see Riko and Izzy again!

Astonishing Member

While I know I'm of the thought that DC just needs give Tony Patrick a Duke/The Signal series already...!

I'm super hyped! I did not realize this would be a thing, or that it would be so soon!

In general, an anthology series that detailed the goings-on for the various Bat-family members who don't have their own titles is a brilliant idea. And I love that they're starting with Duke!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    super excited for this!

Big fan of Duke! Wonder if we will see Riko and Izzy again!
    That'd be nice. And ideally, I'd like to also find room to include and incorporate Dax and Dre, who missed out the chance to appear last time.

Hell, fricking, YEAH !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Hell, fricking, YEAH !
    I know, right!?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Tony Patrick has a great handle on Duke, so very happy about this!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Tony Patrick has a great handle on Duke, so very happy about this!
    Seconded and concurred!

It's cool to see Duke get the spotlight again. Here's hoping it leads to bigger better things.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    That'd be nice. And ideally, I'd like to also find room to include and incorporate Dax and Dre, who missed out the chance to appear last time.
    I never really got the impression that Duke particularly liked Dax and Dre in We are Robin.

Didn't feel like his friends. Not sure he would want to be sharing secrets with them.

Astonishing Member

I never really got the impression that Duke particularly liked Dax and Dre in We are Robin.

Didn't feel like his friends. Not sure he would want to be sharing secrets with them.
    I dunno. They felt close enough were it counted, particularly Dre. And regardless, it just feels kind of strange that they're the ones who're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Variant:

Tony Patrick on Signal!? SAY LESS!! I hope we get a full limited series from either him or Brandon Thomas if this does well. I don't want them making the mistake of making it a ongoing, give a set number of 6 to 12 issues to Patrick or Thomas and make it a weekly or bi-weekly digital release; I bet we'll seen more people get on board with Duke.

obviously this is my most anticipated book.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I feel like Duke and Dre were more of a rival Dee foils, but there was definitely respect there. him and Dax seemed to be about as close to Duke as Riko, without the romantic undertone, but I feel he was closer to Dre than any of the others. has the series gone on long I could've seen Dre and Dax becoming their own "hero + man in the chair" pair and that is where we'd have seen their dynamic with Duke fully realized.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I feel like Duke and Dre were more of a rival Dee foils, but there was definitely respect there. him and Dax seemed to be about as close to Duke as Riko, without the romantic undertone, but I feel he was closer to Dre than any of the others. has the series gone on long I could've seen Dre and Dax becoming their own "hero + man in the chair" pair and that is where we'd have seen their dynamic with Duke fully realized.
    Yeah. Narratively, Dre functioned as Duke's foil and rival. The two helped push one another to be better individuals and vigilantes. When all is said and done by the run's end, they were close.

Indeed, alongside Duke himself, Dre is probably the most serious, dedicated and vigilant about being a vigilante superhero. In fact, and discounting the logistics of Dre not existing as a character and concept prior to We Are Robin, Dre's the type of adolescent teenager/young adult who's path would have led him into becoming a vigilante superhero regardless of if the opportunities that We Are Robin afforded him would have presented itself to him. Some of Dre's known current-day passions include a love for mixed martial arts, showing his dedication to bodily discipline, and true crime novels, showing his keen interest in criminal justice. Like Duke himself, Dre was practical made to be an active vigilante.

Were all right in the world, The Signal would be in the midst of his own on-going series and be more properly integrated into the Batverse and DC at large, and Dre would be an active vigilante, even if he would be taking care of his own piece of Gotham unsung and sans little spotlight on his contributions (outside of The Signal's ongoing, which would treat him with the respect and diligence he's earned in We Are Robin, of course).

And considering that Dax and Dre started off with their strong rapport, I like the idea of Dax coming into his own as Dre's "man in the chair".