Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
I really like how Duke has been developing lately. Definitely a step up from how he was used in Hill's Outsiders.
yeah. while I maintain that Outsiders was (in retrospect) a somewhat important series for Duke, Hill 100% is the weakest writer to pen Duke thus far. it formed important relationships for Duke outside of just Batman (his partnership with Cassandra, his mentorship under Black Lightning, Katana, and Lady Shiva, and an antagonistic relationship with Ra's) and it helped broaden the scale of his powers but his characterization was not good. Duke read like a completely different character and the expansion of his powers felt like it was incidental because it read more like he really wanted to replace Duke's light powers with something "cooler" but failed and had to slip in a line about "oh I can feel the light coming back" in the last issue. Hill's Outsiders coulda been so good had he not been so obsessed with trying to use it as an audition to write Batman (his words) and focused on building on Duke, and the rest of the Outsiders, like Thomas has been with his Future State and post-Future State stuff.