Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I feel like FS Outsiders made some great use of Duke being the Daytime hero, with him being the one member of the Batfamily to actually reveal his identity, you know ?
    what I think FS: Outsiders did great was capture Duke as the "daytime hero" without just contriving a way to make him a literal hero at daytime. he's the hopeful face of resistance against an oppressive establishment, a socio-political symbol for the light at the end of a dark fascist tunnel. it's a solid take on superheroism that works for him with or without Batman, which is what Duke should do.

Batman represents a shadowy hero in the night, avenging those who are wronged, so here, Signal represents a beacon toward daylight, making it possible to see a way to make things better. that's why I keep reiterating they need to redesign the symbology on Duke's costume; not even the whole thing. FS Outsiders strikes a good balance by keeping his face exposed, but Duke needs less bats and more sun motifs on his costume because it will make it easier to connect daytime and daylight as thematic element of his character and not just his "schtick". The literal hero by day concept works as an aspect of his heroing style but it's more limiting that it is distinguishing as an iconic hallmark. If we make daylight not just his jurisdiction but his symbol, it fully makes manfest all the build up to him becoming "something else". he's not another Batwing, or Robin, or Batgirl type, he's actually something else.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-15-2021 at 01:19 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."