Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    some fans took issue with Duke even remotely keeping up with Cass; even in sparring. apparently (according to the ones I saw) even if she's holding back Duke shouldn't be able physically keep up with Cass, especially not enough to catch/redirect her kick, so "clearly" DC is nerfing her. there was some push back. people pointing out that, in addition to the multiple teachers he's had (including Cass herself), part of Duke's metahuman power's function is being a superior version of what Cass' body read does for her, so in actuality he should be one of the few people in the Batfam able to keep up with her. it's just weird argument to be having since it's obviously a sparring scene and it's not like they haven't trained together before.
    Ooohh.

I kind of get the inkling that those in the former category are basically the equivalency of Batman/Bruce fans who aren't able to hold it in when they see something they interpret as being "nerfing Bruce", even when the context makes perfect sense. Conversely, when the context shouldn't make make sense and Bruce triumphs (or triumphs egregiously), most treat it as a feat.

Like you say, out of all the Batfamily members, The Signal really should be one of the ones best equipped to keep up with Cass. Those who don't realize this probably fall into the category of not really knowing anything about Duke/The Signal beyond 2nd and 3rd-hand hearsay. As well, as mentioned, they are sparring, which isn't the same as an actual fight. One can probably imagine the thought of Duke's skills and abilities as a combatant growing never crossed any of their minds, either, nor the fact that Duke was already a pretty keen and tenacious scrapper before he met Cass. (#DukeThomasTheSignalIsNotANewbie)
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-04-2021 at 11:48 PM.

some fans took issue with Duke even remotely keeping up with Cass; even in sparring. apparently (according to the ones I saw) even if she's holding back Duke shouldn't be able physically keep up with Cass, especially not enough to catch/redirect her kick, so "clearly" DC is nerfing her. there was some push back. people pointing out that, in addition to the multiple teachers he's had (including Cass herself), part of Duke's metahuman power's function is being a superior version of what Cass' body read does for her, so in actuality he should be one of the few people in the Batfam able to keep up with her. it's just weird argument to be having since it's obviously a sparring scene and it's not like they haven't trained together before.
    That's mostly people who don't know what his powers are, I suspect. As you said, he basically has the same ability as Cass when it comes to hand to hand fighting, in a broader way and can uses it outside of fight also. By now he should be able to use it in combat of that level, he isn't a rookie anymore.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Ooohh.

I kind of get the inkling that those in the former category are basically the equivalency of Batman/Bruce fans who aren't able to hold it in when they see something they interpret as being "nerfing Bruce", even when the context makes perfect sense. Conversely, when the context shouldn't make make sense and Bruce triumphs (or triumphs egregiously), most treat it as a feat.

Like you say, out of all the Batfamily members, The Signal really should be one of the ones best equipped to keep up with Cass. Those who don't realize this probably fall into the category of not really knowing anything about Duke/The Signal beyond 2nd and 3rd-hand hearsay. As well, as mentioned, they are sparring, which isn't the same as an actual fight. One can probably imagine the thought of Duke's skills and abilities as a combatant growing never crossed any of their minds, either, nor the fact that Duke was already a pretty keen and tenacious scrapper before he met Cass. (#DukeThomasTheSignalIsNotANewbie)
    When your in a world where time passing is such problem and writers fall back on a status quo it’s hard. Stephanie gets treated as the newbie a lot too by comparison to the vets of the inner circle they still are.

my favorite tweet about the Duke v Cass debate

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

my favorite tweet about the Duke v Cass debate

I dont even think its anywhere near a majority of the English fandom since from what I've seen a majority of both Cass and Duke fans seem to like the pairing and dynamic.

Reckon it was just a few of the usual suspects who dislike Duke complaining rather than any actual fans.

The Signal by Karl Mostert (the artist on Tales from The Dark Multiverse: METAL)
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member

The Signal by Karl Mostert (the artist on Tales from The Dark Multiverse: METAL)
    I love the visor design and the chin guard!

That looks like a visor Cyclops would envy...

I'm glad Duke is getting a one shot. I'm hoping it leads to something more.

I wonder how his costume will evolve. I'm pretty sure it will, sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I wonder how his costume will evolve. I'm pretty sure it will, sooner or later.
    his Future State fit has been pretty popular among the Duke fans on twitter and tumblr, and Brandon Thomas is supposed to be writing Outsiders w/ Duke this fall. so we may just see him start moving Duke in the direction aesthetically.

for now, I'm more curious if Tony Patrick will be able to add any significant developments to Duke with this One-shot. he left a lot unsaid about Gnomon, Riko, and the nature of Duke's metahuman heritage that I would love to see touched on. fingers also crossed that he can further define how Duke's shadow powers work, in a fulfilling way. I dug how he used them in Robin king but I could like to see him make that ability more concrete for the character going forward.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-06-2021 at 01:48 PM.

currently following:

I'm really hoping Duke gets a Urban Legends or a Truth & Justice story soon. I feel that would set him up closer to getting a new trade.

currently following:

Duke Thomas pixel art by @KingLeemur

currently following:

The Outsiders by @kevinkomics

currently following:

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Hope we get a outsiders book announcement soon, hope that tease in urban legends wasn't just for another story arc in that book.