Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    spoilers:
    Very much enjoyed the issue! now I am sad that there isn't more lined up! though I do think it is likely the story will be continued sooner or later!

Interesting that Batman only gave Izzy and Riko clearance. Guess it makes sense since Dax has that Chill connection which would make Bruce uncomfortable and Dre is linked with the Maroni Crime family. Izzy and Riko were also the closest to Duke so maybe he also factored that in. Was nice seeing Izzy working with Barbara looks like she has slotted in quite nicely as Duke's mission control for the Daytime.

Everyone has already talked about it a lot, but still love seeing the Cass and Duke dynamic! A review from Weird Science stated a personal thing they can take away "is the fact that Duke has feelings for Cassie Caine". Personally I never noticed anything suggesting that, but I wouldn't be surprised since she is obviously pretty great and they are friends. Curious on what gave the reviewer that impression!

Riko and Dax's heel turn may be too sudden for some but I quite liked it! Riko's jealousy against Duke for being accepted by Batman has obviously continued to build since Batman and The Signal (2018) and has led to resentment. It kinda reminds me of a problem in some deprived areas of Scotland where I am from, where success ended up being frowned upon - since people would view them as abandoning there roots and would want to cut them back down to size so to speak.

The focus on the handholding between Riko and Dax makes me think they are very likely to be in a relationship. The "Its time to let Duke go" feels like foreshadowing (that she won't) and I am almost certain though that she still has feelings for Duke which will probably come back up in the future - I'd not be surprised if they are what leads her to re-joining Duke and working with him on the dayshift.

The Xander guy is so unlikeable gives off such young tory vibes. I will certainly look forward to him getting punched in the face in the future. It made me laugh when Bruce deliberately ordered more expensive items to run up his bill. I wonder how much his blood pressure rose during that 15 minute meeting.

end of spoilers

Yes! Give me all of teh spoilerz!

spoilers:
    Interesting. So this will be how, at least for now, Dax and Dre are kept out of Duke's present day?

Dax's face-heel turn feels strange, but I need to read the issue myself to really get and properly judge the context purposed. Batman keeping them at arms-length just because they have criminal relations feels unfairly prejudiced, though.

I'm more curious about Dre. The relationship between him and Duke was pretty unique, and in many ways very compelling, since they operated as story-foils to one another. To that end, I'd like that to finally be revisited. Was there anything more for Dre outside of the audience being told Bruce didn't grant Dre clearance?
    end of spoilers

Just from what you've guys have said, this mad feels like a set-up for something more longform.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-06-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    spoilers:
    Interesting. So this will be how, at least for now, Dax and Dre are kept out of Duke's present day?

Dax's face-heel turn feels strange, but I need to read the issue myself to really get and properly judge the context purposed. Batman keeping them at arms-length just because they have criminal relations feels unfairly prejudiced, though.

I'm more curious about Dre. The relationship between him and Duke was pretty unique, and in many ways very compelling, since they operated as story-foils to one another. To that end, I'd like that to finally be revisited. Was there anything more for Dre outside of the audience being told Bruce didn't grant Dre clearance?
    end of spoilers

Just from what you've guys have said, this mad feels like a set-up for something more longform.

spoilers:
    Dax isn't really out of the picture in the Present. He is working alongside Riko though I think Duke cares more about her heel turn than Dax's.

Dre is out of the picture though alongside another We are Robin member called Shugr or something - who I do not remember from We are Robin in the slightest. He got depression and suffered a drug overdose and was placed into the new Arkham Juvie.

Its just one line in a flashback where Bruce says he gave Izzy and Riko clearance, so idk if it was Duke only wanting them on his team or if Bruce just didn't trust the others. They just aren't mentioned.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Katana500; 07-06-2021 at 04:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Dax isn't really out of the picture in the Present. He is working alongside Riko though I think Duke cares more about her heel turn than Dax's.

Dre is out of the picture though alongside another We are Robin member called Shugr or something who I do not remember from We are Robin in the slightest. He was placed into the new Arkham Juvie.

Its just one line in a flashback where Bruce says he gave Izzy and Riko clearance, so idk if it was Duke only wanting them on his team or if Bruce just didn't trust the others. They just aren't mentioned.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks.

Hmm. spoilers:
    Not sure of this is for cast parsing or for relevant story. Dre getting stuck on Juvie is pretty sad for his character, though.

And while Duke's relationship with Dax wasn't too defined, if I recall correctly, his with Dre was. It was just defined differently. It's also noticeable when Duke's female friends and peers are included and accounted for, while his male friends and peers aren't.
    end of spoilers

I think im just terrible at explaining things!

Once you read it! you will defo get a better idea!

Astonishing Member

I think im just terrible at explaining things!

Once you read it! you will defo get a better idea!
    Very much looking forward to doing so.

Extraordinary Member

Am I the only one who thinks that it would have made far more sense if Izzy and Riko, and Dre and Dex had switched their places in this story?

They seem all completely out of character in this comic.

And I don't think that Riko was even from the Narrows in the original series, irrc her parents had enough money to get her into Gotham Academy.

spoilers:
    Everyone has already talked about it a lot, but still love seeing the Cass and Duke dynamic! A review from Weird Science stated a personal thing they can take away "is the fact that Duke has feelings for Cassie Caine". Personally I never noticed anything suggesting that, but I wouldn't be surprised since she is obviously pretty great and they are friends. Curious on what gave the reviewer that impression!
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Izzy is Duke's girlfriend, that was revealed in Batman and the Signal. So the interaction with Cass was just good friends.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

So duke is on Tim’s level as a detective

Okay, got weak and bought it on digital instead of just waiting for my issues to come in to my LCS.

I regret nothing. This is the Duke I want to see, in the world I want to read about. Daytime Gotham is absolutely a genius idea and I don't get how anyone before Tony Patrick seemed to have thought about it. Like, wow.

It has all the characters I want in here and I'll be extremelly unhappy if he doesn't get at least a mini.

Extraordinary Member

A Backup or a continuation in Urban Legends seem more likely at the moment.

Amazing Member

I liked it! Daytime Gotham was interesting, and it was nice seeing some of the We Are Robin characters again. (Along with Cousin Jay!)

spoilers:

I wasn't too jazzed about Riko and Dax working against Duke. I like that they're upset with him, because it makes sense and is an interesting conflict for Duke, and it'd be cool to have him butt heads with his former friends working as their own vigilantes. But the whole "we're going to stop you!" thing seemed pretty over the top. I'm hoping they're getting manipulated somehow, or overall that this isn't the full story. I'd love to seem them talk to Izzy again too!
    end of spoilers

Being upset is no reason to do a face heel turn!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Being upset is no reason to do a face heel turn!
    (Still haven't gotten around to this just yet, but...) that's not something that can be said as an absolute truth or reality.

I liked this book, but i thought this was a one-shot. How many issues this story will have?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I liked this book, but i thought this was a one-shot. How many issues this story will have?
    As far as we know right now, it is a one-shot. But it's a one-shot that seems deliberately setting up things for a more longform manner.