Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

The guy in the right is his future? Dude got jacked asf.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    The guy in the right is his future? Dude got jacked asf.
    right? things must've taken a turn after Duke started his journey to un-curse Black Lightning. I'm curious what's the deal with the markings and the panther or bat behind him.

super excited for this story! I hope they announce this will spin out into a limited series, this is teasing some major moves for Duke going forward. I wonder if Future Duke will pass anything besides information on to current day Duke.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

What is the Outsiders' current mission statement?

Also, I really like Duke's look in that Dark Knights of Steel preview. I'm not a fan of his Wolverine cowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Also, I really like Duke's look in that Dark Knights of Steel preview. I'm not a fan of his Wolverine cowl.
    they don't really have a set mission statement, they've mainly just been doing general black-ops/super team activity. When they assembled in No Justice, and the Outsiders story arc Bryan Hill did in Detective a couple of years back, they were tasked with recovering dangerous alien tech that was being spread on the black market; but they pretty much drop this in the actual series and exclusively were used for a proxy war between Batman with Ras al Ghul. after breaking off from Batman at the end of that run, The Outsiders have been dealing with magic users from Katana's family. I'm thinking Fear State will see them setting up for whatever mission/storyline, likely something to do with Katana's family and whatever Future State Duke is warning current Duke about.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

BANNED

What's Duke's natural aptitude in relation to Bruce?

Dick has a better aptitude for leadership than Bruce because he's better at reading and managing emotions.

Jason has a more natural aptitude for fighting, even if he is less trained.

Tim's deductive reasoning is better than Bruce's.

Barbara has proven to be better at manipulating outcomes from behind the scenes.

Luke may be more mechanically proficient.

What about Duke? Are his powers what make him stand out, or does he have some other notable attributes?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Yeah, it's a way better look. Just needs a domino mask.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Dick has a better aptitude for leadership than Bruce because he's better at reading and managing emotions.

Barbara has proven to be better at manipulating outcomes from behind the scenes.

What about Duke? Are his powers what make him stand out, or does he have some other notable attributes?
    It seems to be deductive reasoning and leadership. His original powerset gave him an edge in being a detective.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 08-14-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Duke's defining traits are typically his charisma and intelligence, specifically his aptitude for emotional intelligence, which is usually expressed through his affinity for leadership. most of his major stories hit on this on one way or another (excluding his time on Outsiders); Superheavy he's a volunteer mentor at the Lucius Fox Community Center, Batman trusting him to coax Gotham Girl into helping stop her brother in I Am Gotham, in We are Robin he was the de-facto leader of the whole movement, White Knight he's united the gangs to protect the Narrows IIRC, Tales from the Dark Multiverse he rallied the remain heroes against Barbatos, Future State he's the public face of Gotham resistance, etc.

he also has an aptitude for detective work, which is complimented by his sight based abilities, but that not particularly unique to him. besides that his other defining trait are his powers and possible deeper connection to metahumans.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-14-2021 at 12:48 PM.

currently following:

It seems Duke's place is growing up in DC's stable : he'll appears in far more books than, expected. Now all we need is a continuation of his solo adventures, and a meet-up between the Final Knight, current Duke and FS Duke.

Speaking of which... the blue markings ? It's him having embraced his immortal leagcy, I'm betting on it !

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Duke's defining traits are typically his charisma and intelligence, specifically his aptitude for emotional intelligence, which is usually expressed through his affinity for leadership. most of his major stories hit on this on one way or another (excluding his time on Outsiders); Superheavy he's a volunteer mentor at the Lucius Fox Community Center, Batman trusting him to coax Gotham Girl into helping stop her brother in I Am Gotham, in We are Robin he was the de-facto leader of the whole movement, White Knight he's united the gangs to protect the Narrows IIRC, Tales from the Dark Multiverse he rallied the remain heroes against Barbatos, Future State he's the public face of Gotham resistance, etc.

he also has an aptitude for detective work, which is complimented by his sight based abilities, but that not particularly unique to him. besides that his other defining trait are his powers and possible deeper connection to metahumans.
    Very cool, but it sounds like a lot of overlapping with Dick (whose defining characteristics are charisma, leadership and emotional intelligence). They never worked together outside of Robin war, right?
    It does seems like he works more with public / crowds.
    I liked that in the future he didn't had a mask. That we was more relatable to the people.
    But wasn't he a part of the outsiders rather than Gotham resistance?

Bruce on Duke

More than anything else I feel that DC should continue the path set up in his mini as Gotham's Daytime protector. Make that his niche.
    Last edited by Fergus; 08-15-2021 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It seems Duke's place is growing up in DC's stable : he'll appears in far more books than, expected. Now all we need is a continuation of his solo adventures, and a meet-up between the Final Knight, current Duke and FS Duke.

Speaking of which... the blue markings ? It's him having embraced his immortal leagcy, I'm betting on it !
    Have I missed something? I got Secret files and the upcoming FS: Urban Legends. Where else is he appearing or cameoing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Thank you for the break down!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Bruce on Duke

More than anything else I feel that DC should continue the path set up in his mini as Gotham's Daytime protector. Make that his niche.
    This sounds like Bruce is happy that Gotham has their own "Flash" or "Superman"--a superpowered daytime protector, who has detective skills. Somewhat ironically, Alan Scott once filled that role--another light-themed hero.

Bruce is pinning a lot on Duke, and things don't always go as planned--especially for him. I'm sure he's had similar hopes for the other Robins before working with them more.

The detective ability is interesting, as is breaking Gotham's watch up by shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Very cool, but it sounds like a lot of overlapping with Dick (whose defining characteristics are charisma, leadership and emotional intelligence). They never worked together outside of Robin war, right?
    It does seems like he works more with public / crowds.
    I liked that in the future he didn't had a mask. That we was more relatable to the people.
    But wasn't he a part of the outsiders rather than Gotham resistance?
    Wasn't the Outsiders the Gotham resistance?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Wasn't the Outsiders the Gotham resistance?
    No. The outsiders, in some kind of paraphrase of their name, helped people get outside of Gotham, and were outside.
    The Resistance was the batfamily, resisting the magistrate.

ressistance.jpggc resistance.jpg
    Last edited by Lal; 08-15-2021 at 08:50 AM.