Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

this is only tangentially related to Duke but we get a reference to the Immortal Men/The Bear Tribe and the birth of metahumans in Death Metal today

that's nice to see. I hope that means we'll learn more about Metahuman mythology and if so I hope Duke is part of that.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this is only tangentially related to Duke but we get a reference to the Immortal Men/The Bear Tribe and the birth of metahumans in Death Metal today

that's nice to see. I hope that means we'll learn more about Metahuman mythology and if so I hope Duke is part of that.
    As someone who was absolutely captivated by Tynion's far-too-short-lived Immortal Men run (it ticked all of my doorstopper epic boxes for me in its presentation), something I would love to happen is for it to continue. An explicitly direct continuation that picks up where the series left off would be the ideal for me. But I'd also love for the mythology that had been established and was being established to be picked up and continue being fleshed out.

With enough time, I'd have loved to see how Duke, his mother, and Gnomon factored into all of this. He and Caden Park not meeting sucks, as that would have been another relationship Duke would have had to his name, essentially, for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    As someone who was absolutely captivated by Tynion's far-too-short-lived Immortal Men run (it ticked all of my doorstopper epic boxes for me in its presentation), something I would love to happen is for it to continue. An explicitly direct continuation that picks up where the series left off would be the ideal for me. But I'd also love for the mythology that had been established and was being established to be picked up and continue being fleshed out.

With enough time, I'd have loved to see how Duke, his mother, and Gnomon factored into all of this. He and Caden Park not meeting sucks, as that would have been another relationship Duke would have had to his name, essentially, for himself.
    The reason I started making Duke's wiki is because of this series. honestly, I think this series is essential to understanding the full potential of Duke, and the unique mythology he inhabits among DC's current metahuman heroes; it's essential reading for Duke fans imo. the fact that YJ: Outsiders linked the Outsiders to Metahuman affairs and genetics (with the inklings of a greater mythology), and Duke is part of the current iteration of Outsiders, you'd think they would put two and two together to revisit and expand on Immortal Men. I hope this is Snyder making a nod to that.

EDIT: this exchange made me realize I needed to revise the essential reading list.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-05-2021 at 05:41 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

you actually raise some interesting points. Batman and The Signal was probably meant to take place after METAL, looking back there are small things that could indicate that it took place between Dark Days and the actual Metal event. In, I believe it was, the one-shot for Batman The Merciless, we see Duke as Signal with Batman (it's the art from B&TS #1's cover) on the screens of the military. couple that with the fact that in Dark Days he's still in his nameless era suit but his Final Batman design shows he has his Signal suit under the Monitor armor, I believe it would indicate that the sequence of events were: Dark Days > Batman and The Signal > METAL. in which case, even prior to Earth-jumping Final Knight!Duke knew of Gnomon if he wasn't already able to figure that out from his counterparts on other Earths.

as for Sideways, I forgot that his rifts are directly connected to the Dark Multiverse! that would be the easiest avenue to get Final Knight!Duke to Earth 0, especially since Derek probably doesn't live too far Gotham since he got his powers while on a trip to Gotham. could it be? the Dark Matter team up I've always dreamed?
    When I was reading Batman and The Signal I figured the development in Gotham was due to Challengers Mountain displacing the infrastructure in that part of the city. What you're saying makes a lot of sense to me, wow. In that case, maybe Final Knight!Duke visits his mom first, then Gnomon? I'm sure travelling the multiverse (well a Dark Multiverse version of the Multiverse) Duke might have questions that Gnomon could answer.

As for Sideways, it'd be one heck of a team-up. I hope DC wouldn't be apprehensive of using him since he was created by Dan Didio.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Didn't expect to see Duke in the Next Batman. It was a nice surprise
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Didn't expect to see Duke in the Next Batman. It was a nice surprise
    Hadn't he been slated and hyped to be featured in the Outsiders backup? Unless you don't usually follow previews and such, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Hadn't he been slated and hyped to be featured in the Outsiders backup? Unless you don't usually follow previews and such, of course.
    I don't get into previews much, theres A LOT a haven't seen about the upcoming comics.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

I don't get into previews much, theres A LOT a haven't seen about the upcoming comics.
    Ah, okay then. Fair enough. I had just thought you might have accidentally run by it on the forums here. lemonpeace has been posting about it, including relevant preview images on the 2019 Duke and 2019 Outsiders threads.

I've been catching up on Duke related stuff recently, but I have a question: are his parents still jokerized and living near Wayne Manor? Seems like a great plot point for future stories.

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    I've been catching up on Duke related stuff recently, but I have a question: are his parents still jokerized and living near Wayne Manor? Seems like a great plot point for future stories.
    yes his parents are still jokerized, but it's unclear if they are still in a facility on Wayne Manor since Duke moved out. I think his parents (particularly his mother) have to addressed one day because she holds the secrets to the nature of Duke's powers and his connection to some of the immortal beings on earth.

currently following:

What's some if y'all's favorite a) Duke panels, and/or, b) Duke covers?

currently following:

This made me check the series out, that comic had some fire cover art

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What's some if y'all's favorite a) Duke panels, and/or, b) Duke covers?
    I already posted my number one in page 1...

This made me check the series out, that comic had some fire cover art

...and these immediately follow that

his We Are Robin covers are definitely his most iconic covers to his character, personally my favorite cover with him as Signal is this one:

of the Batman and the Signal covers it's the only one where he's not literally under Batman's shadow. it's bright and colorful, they're standing side by side as equal, you got Duke's rogues, and it's framed by him showcasing his powers as the background. for me it just captures what his series should do, present Duke as a new player in Gotham (and one day DC as a whole).

as for favorite panels (ain't nobody got no favorite panels?), as you can see from my avatar, Tales from The Dark Multiverse has some of my favorite Duke panels ever. this one in particular really struck me:

He's looking at the Dragons of Barbatos but i like how it kinda feels almost like Duke is looking at us in a Morrison Animal Man sorta way; which I would die to see homaged with Duke one day.

also really love just about every panel on this page too

currently following:

Yeah, that cover for B&S is gold - and there was a lot of awesome panels in those. Tales from The Dark Multiverse was also absolutely dope and I really hope we'll see more of this Duke someday.