Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

These are my favorite panels of Duke using his shadow powers:

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I was rereading BaTS and there was a panel that gave me a theory about Duke's shadow powers that could explain those sparks (besides obviously being artistic license)

The Null's powers work very similarly to Duke's, he takes in light and redistribute it for a particular effect. Unlike Duke (initially) Null's powers allow him to go a step further and create negative space, convert the sunlight into nullifying negative energy, and fill the negative space for a destuctive effect. pretty cool ability but I didn't make the connection how similar their powers were until this page

the subtle lightning effect got me thinking: darkness and shadow is just the absence of light, so for Duke to be using it he's basically interacting with a negative property. that means he's effectively just absorbing and generating a negative form of mass or energy that's opposite to positive light energy. negative energy, just like Null, that results in these photoelectric discharges. his would also explain how he was able to help his team traverse the battlefield against Quietus. they're not necessarily teleporting nor are they necessarily invisible, he's creating "negative space" with his shadow for them to move through and then hop out of.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-17-2021 at 01:10 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

A guiding light.
    @bubbly.cynicism on IG

@artbyavasan on Twitter.

currently following:

So I was listening to Comic Pop's Back Issue episode on Tales of the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights Metal, and at the 26 minute mark an interesting question was brought up. Does Final Knight!Duke's photokinesis work differently than Earth Prime!Duke's?

Earth Prime!Duke's photokinesis/ghostvision involves him viewing things in time, but it might be that Final Knight!Duke's abilities can also pass through space as well, Final Knight!Duke might be seeing things as they are on Earth Prime.

This concept has a lot of potential if that's the case in my opinion, and it could be another reason for Final Knight!Duke to try and breach between the Multiverse and the Dark Multiverse.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    So I was listening to Comic Pop's Back Issue episode on Tales of the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights Metal, and at the 26 minute mark an interesting question was brought up. Does Final Knight!Duke's photokinesis work differently than Earth Prime!Duke's?

Earth Prime!Duke's photokinesis/ghostvision involves him viewing things in time, but it might be that Final Knight!Duke's abilities can also pass through space as well, Final Knight!Duke might be seeing things as they are on Earth Prime.

This concept has a lot of potential if that's the case in my opinion, and it could be another reason for Final Knight!Duke to try and breach between the Multiverse and the Dark Multiverse.
    I watched it but I checked out half way because they were trying too hard to make the story sound more confusing than it actually was. once they spent like a minute complaining about how DC doesn't distinguish between their hypens on earths and negative sign on negative earths, I was over it.

as for his powers, Sal clearly doesn't know what Duke's powers are so I wouldn't put much stock in what he was saying. as far as I can tell, there isn't really any reason to think Duke's powers do anything different in Tales than how they usually work. it just seems to me like instead of a few minutes Duke is seeing years into the past. a cool idea would've been if they had it be that he was seeing the literally light of hope (Blue Lantern light) in people.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-21-2021 at 08:25 PM.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I watch it but I checked out half way because they were trying too hard to make the story sound more confusing than it actually was. once they spent like a minute complaining about how DC doesn't distinguish between their hypens on earths and negative sign on negative e earths, I was over it.

as for his powers, Sal clearly doesn't know what Duke's powers are so I wouldn't put much stock in what he was saying. as far as I can tell, there isn't really any reason to think Duke's powers do anything different in Tales than how they usually work. it just seems to me like instead of a few minutes Duke is seeing years into the past. a cool idea would've been if they had it be that he was seeing the literally light of hope (Blue Lantern light) in people.
    The idea of Duke's abilities growing to encompass seeing years into the past is really interesting, especially with Duke's potential immortality.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    The idea of Duke's abilities growing to encompass seeing years into the past is really interesting, especially with Duke's potential immortality.
    I can definitely see that being the natural progression of his abilities, especially if we follow the immortality route. say Duke's alive for another 100 years, who's to say he can't see decades or centuries in either direction in time? if Duke's powers are any indication of Elaine's, I can see why Immortal Man and the al Ghul's were interested in their family.

currently following:

Future State inspired me to make a thing.

I thought it was funny

currently following:

What's yalls preferred Duke mobile? Should he stick with the motorcycle or should he get a car? Handglider maybe, Hover board? Jetpack?
    Last edited by 9th.; 01-25-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Keep the motorcycle. I'm not quite sure how all of it can become invisible, but it's hella cool.

ALso great work Lemonpeace !

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    What's yalls preferred Duke mobile? Should he stick with the motorcycle or should he get a car? Handglider maybe, Hover board? Jetpack?
    I like the Signal-cycle ngl, but I kinda dig his whip in Future State. if that comes standard with a stealth mode and a couple dope unique features, throw in a catchy name, I could see it being pretty iconic for his character. I don't think any of the other batfam have an iconic vehicle besides Batman.

currently following:

Duke's spotlight in Future State: Outsiders is this week! I really enjoyed the first issue with Katana, and I loved Brandon Thomas' Aquaman, so I'm hella excited to see what he has in store for Duke.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Duke's spotlight in Future State: Outsiders is this week! I really enjoyed the first issue with Katana, and I loved Brandon Thomas' Aquaman, so I'm hella excited to see what he has in store for Duke.
    Hopefully he'll holds his own in the fight part, I want him to be both gentle and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Hopefully he'll holds his own in the fight part, I want him to be both gentle and strong.
    you and me both, Duke is kinda overdue for a good solo W. Brandon Thomas said he wanted to make Duke equally as good at giving speeches and leading a rally as him kicking ass, so I'm gonna air on the side if optimism that we are in for a treat. I shouted out his Aquaman title on twitter and he replied hyping up Duke, so he seems legitimately excited about what he got. it's so refreshing seeing so many writers who are legitimately excited about working on Duke. Tony Patrick, Lanzing & Kelly, now Brandon Thomas, I hope DC recognizes their excitement and realize that there is a lot of potential in a real push for Duke. especially since the last time he had a real push was when he didn't have an actual identity (although visual he still doesn't ugh).

currently following:

@sunchariot on tumblr

currently following: