Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I feel like FS Outsiders made some great use of Duke being the Daytime hero, with him being the one member of the Batfamily to actually reveal his identity, you know ?
    what I think FS: Outsiders did great was capture Duke as the "daytime hero" without just contriving a way to make him a literal hero at daytime. he's the hopeful face of resistance against an oppressive establishment, a socio-political symbol for the light at the end of a dark fascist tunnel. it's a solid take on superheroism that works for him with or without Batman, which is what Duke should do.

Batman represents a shadowy hero in the night, avenging those who are wronged, so here, Signal represents a beacon toward daylight, making it possible to see a way to make things better. that's why I keep reiterating they need to redesign the symbology on Duke's costume; not even the whole thing. FS Outsiders strikes a good balance by keeping his face exposed, but Duke needs less bats and more sun motifs on his costume because it will make it easier to connect daytime and daylight as thematic element of his character and not just his "schtick". The literal hero by day concept works as an aspect of his heroing style but it's more limiting that it is distinguishing as an iconic hallmark. If we make daylight not just his jurisdiction but his symbol, it fully makes manfest all the build up to him becoming "something else". he's not another Batwing, or Robin, or Batgirl type, he's actually something else.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-15-2021 at 01:19 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

damn, it's really looking like Duke is the only bat character not featured in anything post-Future State
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    damn, it's really looking like Duke is the only bat character not featured in anything post-Future State
    Not just him. There's actually a few who haven't shown up in anything. Just give it some time.

Astonishing Member

That is a bit disconcerting. Hope new news will come that changes that.

Batman Urban Legends is the perfect place for Duke. I would not be suprised if he got a story in it!

Both TEC and the main Batman book have back ups too now! so far featuring Damian, Huntress and Ghostmaker. So potentially he could show up there!

[double post]
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-27-2021 at 10:39 PM.

currently following:

so someone on tumblr has crunched the numbers and hammered out a timeline of events to figure how old Duke is. apparently, until DC puts him back in high school and has to age him down, he would be 19 pushing 20 if recent events happen the way DC says it happened.

how would you guy's feel about them following Duke at this older? or would you rather they keep him on the younger side (16-17)?

personally, I feel having him in his late teens is a good age because that's early college, that age where you move out to define yourself, and having him as a young adult hero will also further help emphasize him as an independent hero; skipping the usual sidekick circuit the Robins and other legacies go through. I still hear to this day people complaining that Duke is a Robin replacement even though he's long since disowned any claim to the name or position. I feel like Duke's best direction would be to start leaning into him being an indie hero, it'll give him the freedom to distance him Batman & Robin's shadow, and start distinguishing himself in the DC universe at large. it'll also allow DC to reintroduce Duke's cast from We are Robin and Batman and The Signal in a new light.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

so someone on tumblr has crunched the numbers and hammered out a timeline of events to figure how old Duke is. apparently, until DC puts him back in high school and has to age him down, he would be 19 pushing 20 if recent events happen the way DC says it happened.
    I think the example of Tim Drake has shown that age doesn't work like that in the comics.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

how would you guy's feel about them following Duke at this older? or would you rather they keep him on the younger side (16-17)?

personally, I feel having him in his late teens is a good age because that's early college, that age where you move out to define yourself, and having him as a young adult hero will also further help emphasize him as an independent hero; skipping the usual sidekick circuit the Robins and other legacies go through. I still hear to this day people complaining that Duke is a Robin replacement even though he's long since disowned any claim to the name or position. I feel like Duke's best direction would be to start leaning into him being an indie hero, it'll give him the freedom to distance him Batman & Robin's shadow, and start distinguishing himself in the DC universe at large. it'll also allow DC to reintroduce Duke's cast from We are Robin and Batman and The Signal in a new light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think the example of Tim Drake has shown that age doesn't work like that in the comics.
    It's not, since the changing of seasons in comics follow publication time instead of in the story, and if they count how much time passed in New 52, he could be even older than 19, but until canon actually says his age or grade I'm using that.

...but if we follow Damian's age, who's 13 throughout Rebirth, aged 2 years from New 52 where he's perpetually 10, then Duke should be 18 throughout Rebirth.

Duke is not limited to being Robin that tends to be underage, so if they wanna make him a young adult, I'm game. A lot of Tim fans, who's about his age or older, also want him to be older, especially with Damian's now a teenager.

Learning from Dick and Jason's experience though, growing up and be independent doesn't mean you're gonna be away from Batman, especially if there's someone like Didio who thinks these teens make Batman looks old and likes the hierarchy of books and characters under the head of the family. Doesn't matter if you're in a different city or country, Nightwing, Outlaw, or secret agent, if there's a crossover or Batman event and they want them in it, they're gonna be dragged back, with the same relationship baggage and Daddy Issues as the 90s and 2000s. Hopefully, now that Didio's gone that kinda mindset is gone too and they let the characters actually expand, but I need to see it done consistently to believe it.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-28-2021 at 03:14 AM.

All-New Member

hello everyone im new here, but came here to have enjoyable discussions about Duke Thomas As a character, but to talk about his Progression or development as he's character moves forward within the DC universe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Learning from Dick and Jason's experience though, growing up and be independent doesn't mean you're gonna be away from Batman, especially if there's someone like Didio who thinks these teens make Batman looks old and likes the hierarchy of books and characters under the head of the family. Doesn't matter if you're in a different city or country, Nightwing, Outlaw, or secret agent, if there's a crossover or Batman event and they want them in it, they're gonna be dragged back, with the same relationship baggage and Daddy Issues as the 90s and 2000s. Hopefully, now that Didio's gone that kinda mindset is gone too and they let the characters actually expand, but I need to see it done consistently to believe it.
    Some of the appeal of these characters comes from being part of the Batman mythos, so I don't think that you van ever really seperate them completly from Batman.

And honestly I don't think that there is much room for the Batman characters to really grow up anymore, simply because there are already plenty of adult family members that are permanently stuck in their 20s, and ageing up the teen characters into that age group will make things even more crowded.

In Damians case they might have aged him up to 13, but he is still not drawn of written like a teenager, and they even finally created a group of younger Titans for him, in stead of putting him in teams with older teen characters.

Since they have already connected Duke with Cass, the logical step would probably be connect him also with the other Batfamily members of that age (Tim , Steph).

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Duke did appear in a double spread in infinite frontier #0 and everyone in that spread is confirmed to appear in books except for batwoman and steel. Hopefully this boldes well for Duke.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Duke did appear in a double spread in infinite frontier #0 and everyone in that spread is confirmed to appear in books except for batwoman and steel. Hopefully this boldes well for Duke.
    Good to know, and agreed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    In fact, it is confirmed there is a Batwoman story by M.L. Sanapo and Grace Ellis. We just don't know what will this be.

fanart by @ghostpainters
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostpainters
    Duke Thomas: "Does anyone else remember Blockbuster Video?"

After a relatively easy night pf patrol, Duke engages in the weekly ritual of picking up a movie at Blockbuster. Why there’s one left in Gotham, nobody knows. But Duke is smart enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth. He’s been going to this store every Friday since he was five. Eliza at the cash has known him since he was literally knee-high. She recognizes him now as the Signal, but she’ll take his secret to the grave. Tonight, it’s Return of the Jedi on VHS. Duke’s getting the movie, Tim’s buying the popcorn, and Jason’s supplying the TV. (Jason doesn’t know he’s supplying the TV yet, but that’s probably for the best.)

currently following: