Page 22 of 177 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I can't see John with a civilian, unless she was a lantern stationed on Oa. Most of John's notable lovers (comics & outside media) have been battled tested women.

John needs a literal ride or die woman.
    One of the reasons this worked:

I can't see John with a civilian, unless she was a lantern stationed on Oa. Most of John's notable lovers (comics & outside media) have been battled tested women.

John needs a literal ride or die woman.
    Civilian women can be ride or die...Lois, Linda Park, Mary Jane Watson, etc.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And if they're not reporters (Mary Jane) eventually they become them (... Mary Jane).

sure but it's not the same. John typically has partners that are equal to him, as capable as him, as oppose to a Lois Lane or a Iris West type. the type that more often than not make me cringe when they try to give them "cool" lady-boss™ normie wins to prove how equal they are to their superpowered counterpart. I don't wanna see John with a "progressive" damsel, he likes to get his hands dirty, I wanna see him with someone who can get it out the mud with him.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    sure but it's not the same. John typically has partners that are equal to him, as capable as him, as oppose to a Lois Lane or a Iris West type. the type that more often than not make me cringe when they try to give them "cool" lady-boss™ normie wins to prove how equal they are to their superpowered counterpart. I don't wanna see John with a "progressive" damsel, he likes to get his hands dirty, I wanna see him with someone who can get it out the mud with him.
    Oh goddammit I'll just go ahead and say it.

Revive Katma.

If Barry Allen and Jason Todd came back from the dead there's no real reason she needs to stay under ground at this point. She's a GL. She has ties to Korugar. She had agency. Just bring Katma back. Let John be the one GL who is married, has a good relationship with his wife and has his personal life on lock. Every other Lantern's love life is a **** show most of the time so let them all look to John and think "glad one of us got their **** together, John."

Not to mention it takes away one of John's many reasons to mope. The guy needs a bounce back in his step and they'll never take Xanshi off his back (and it is weighing his characterization down). At least let him have Katma Tui. Or, ****, just let the fans have her back.

In Blackest Night, it was said Guy was the Lantern the others envied because of his relationship with Tora. I love those two, it's cute, but they're on-again off-again and don't get published enough for most to even know about. John? He actually could make it work, I think. It's not like they have a ton of swingin' bachelor John Stewart stories. Revive Katma. She was cool. Hell, she was killed to bother Hal so she really never should have died to begin with!
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-16-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Revive Katma.

If Barry Allen and Jason Todd came back from the dead there's no real reason she needs to stay under ground at this point. She's a GL. She has ties to Korugar. She had agency. Just bring Katma back. Let John be the one GL who is married, has a good relationship with his wife and has that **** under control. Every other Latern's love life is a **** show most of the time so let them all look to John and think "glad one of us got their **** together, John."

Not to mention it takes away one of John's many reasons to mope. The guy needs a bounce back in his step and they'll never take Xanshi off his back. At least let him have Katma Tui.
    hot take: nah, I think I'm definitively good on that. Katma just doesn't interest me bro. besides giving John the pooty-wop, there isn't anything she brings to the table that Soranik doesn't.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Extraordinary Member

Exactly, SW!

Shayera
    Katma
    Merayn Dethalis
    Yrra / Verrat Din
    Vixen

All are no strangers to living a dangerous lifestyle.

Verrat Din deceived John, while our hero unintentionally entered into a relationship with Yrra (who was under the control of the Star Sapphires).

Ponders if RJ will ever pick up on Yrra's war with the Star Sapphires. The Star Sapphires are ultimately responsible for the murder of Katma Tui. This could be a great story.

I'd be open for an update on Verrat, too. She has the power of a Daxamite.

Both Yrra & Verrat are could be a powerful enemies, and either (or both) could be the Alice Morgan to John Stewart's John Luthor.

hot take: nah, I think I'm definitively good on that. Katma just doesn't interest me bro. besides giving John the pooty-wop, there isn't anything she brings to the table that Soranik doesn't.
    I mean Soranik's significant relationship is with Kyle (and I don't much care for the GLs to share love interests, but to each their own) but she's also currently a villain, isn't she?

Extraordinary Member

I'm gonna co-sign what lemonpeace said.

Extraordinary Member

Revive Katma.

If Barry Allen and Jason Todd came back from the dead there's no real reason she needs to stay under ground at this point. She's a GL. She has ties to Korugar. She had agency. Just bring Katma back. Let John be the one GL who is married, has a good relationship with his wife and has his personal life on lock. Every other Lantern's love life is a **** show most of the time so let them all look to John and think "glad one of us got their **** together, John."

Not to mention it takes away one of John's many reasons to mope. The guy needs a bounce back in his step and they'll never take Xanshi off his back (and it is weighing his characterization down). At least let him have Katma Tui. Or, ****, just let the fans have her back.

In Blackest Night, it was said Guy was the Lantern the others envied because of his relationship with Tora. I love those two, it's cute, but they're on-again off-again and don't get published enough for most to even know about. John? He actually could make it work, I think. It's not like they have a ton of swingin' bachelor John Stewart stories. Revive Katma. She was cool. Hell, she was killed to bother Hal so she really never should have died to begin with!
    Your solution solves everything!

John's sense of humor died the day he lost his wife. It would be funny if he started cracking jokes with the return of his wife.

Extraordinary Member

I mean Soranik's significant relationship is with Kyle (and I don't much care for the GLs to share love interests, but to each their own) but she's also currently a villain, isn't she?
    Yeah...way too much history of the Earth GL's violating the bro-code. They been doing that since pre-crisis.

Your solution solves everything!

John's sense of humor died the day he lost his wife. It would be funny if he started cracking jokes with the return of his wife.
    I don't think it'd change everything, but it would give him something to be happy about. As it is, John's got two lanes: serious or depressed, and never shall he waver far from one without finding himself in the other. Katma put a smile on his face. At this point, anything that's proven to lighten him up would be a step in the right direction.

And if they're not reporters (Mary Jane) eventually they become them (... Mary Jane).
    And not a good job of it at that .
    I mean, I find them equally capable in their own way even if not having powers limits them to some extent. I think it's valid for someone without powers to make do and try and find workarounds to get on that level even if they can't go to the exact extent for a variety of reasons. And of course, the actual relationship they have with the hero and what they bring to the table as an individual is important.
    Would you really argue that they're not? Have you seen what these women have had to go through to be with the men they love and still stick by them?

And not a good job of it at that .

I mean, I find them equally capable in their own way even if not having powers limits them to some extent. I think it's valid for someone without powers to make do and try and find workarounds to get on that level even if they can't go to the exact extent for a variety of reasons. And of course, the actual relationship they have with the hero and what they bring to the table as an individual is important.

Would you really argue that they're not? Have you seen what these women have had to go through to be with the men they love and still stick by them?
    But Frontier. They don't have powers so what value can they have?

And not a good job at it at that .

I agree in principle, and from a character standpoint, but it's hard for me to take it seriously almost everytime Lois is anywhere near the field next to Superman; their not peers in that sense because that's not that character's arena. Kal's job as Clark and his job as Superman were two distinct aspects and Lois was equal to Clark in a particular context, but she doesn't belong in Superman's arena in the practical sense; the same with Barry as the Flash and Iris. John is more singular, his role as Green Lantern is far less separate frim him (GL is just want John does) so it makes sense that he would often have love interests who can hang in the holistic sense. Katma, Shayera, Yrra, Vixen all could hang with John in any aspect of his life in their own right, without it feeling forced, convoluted or cringey.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-17-2021 at 01:04 AM.

currently following: