Page 27 of 177 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yeah, I also liked what Bunn did, just disappointed it got derailed. If y'all haven't read his book The Sixth Gun, you're missing out.
    Uggghhhh that debacle is one of the reasons I've kinda stopped letting myself care these past several years. "The Lost Army" was excellent, and while I never heard what happened behind the scenes, "Edge of Oblivion" was so shitty, it put me off Taylor completely until fairly recently.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Uggghhhh that debacle is one of the reasons I've kinda stopped letting myself care these past several years. "The Lost Army" was excellent, and while I never heard what happened behind the scenes, "Edge of Oblivion" was so shitty, it put me off Taylor completely until fairly recently.
    No one knew whether Edge of Oblivion was a continuation with Lost Army or not. I thought the whole project turned into a disaster imo. Cullen Bunn was raising John Stewart as a leader, which continued from the previous team (Van Jensen and Robert Venditti), which is great, but the execution was poor, because of terrible editorial management. It was nice that Robert Vendditi made John a leader in HJ&TGLC, but it could've been better if editorial allowed Cullen Bunn to finish his project. I'm sure it would've been a smoother transition into Robert Venditti's series.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Looks like I'll be reading some Lost Army to tide me over until April. I'd heard that editorial shenanigans derailed it so I never bothered reading it, but if it's a good story, I'll check it out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Looks like I'll be reading some Lost Army to tide me over until April. I'd heard that editorial shenanigans derailed it so I never bothered reading it, but if it's a good story, I'll check it out.
    It's half of a good story, so you should temper your expectations... I think the most you'll get out of it is a few cool scenes or elements, but not really a "story." The art is amazing though.

BANNED

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    No one knew whether Edge of Oblivion was a continuation with Lost Army or not. I thought the whole project turned into a disaster imo. Cullen Bunn was raising John Stewart as a leader, which continued from the previous team (Van Jensen and Robert Venditti), which is great, but the execution was poor, because of terrible editorial management. It was nice that Robert Vendditi made John a leader in HJ&TGLC, but it could've been better if editorial allowed Cullen Bunn to finish his project. I'm sure it would've been a smoother transition into Robert Venditti's series.
    From my understanding all those books like Prez and Lost Army and Doomed were meant to be 12 issues. One or one part of the story was suppose to be told in two volumes.

Sales were fine before Bunn got it cut off. Pretty much DC editorial doing what it does best-mess up something. I suspect Bunn did not Bunn did not learn of that until it was too late to fix the story.

Same issue with Lobdell's Doomed-we never learned Doomsday Junior's last name and it felt like it had more to say. Which is why he popped up in Teen Titans looking like Tuvok.

I would suspect Rebirth being rushed out was the culprit as well. Have John & Guy together leading to the HJ & TGLC book.

I suspect they let Taylor just toss something out there knowing they were headed to Rebirth. We saw the same thing with Xombi-the book was axed before issue one due to New 52. So you just had a book out there.

It's half of a good story, so you should temper your expectations... I think the most you'll get out of it is a few cool scenes or elements, but not really a "story." The art is amazing though.
    That’s what I heard that it was like New Krypton. Solid ideas, pretty good story, but then the ending shat the bed and ruined the whole thing.

Eesh. It's that bad? Maybe I'll pass then.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s what I heard that it was like New Krypton. Solid ideas, pretty good story, but then the ending shat the bed and ruined the whole thing.
    Yup, New Krypton had so much potential and then, ugh. What a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    From my understanding all those books like Prez and Lost Army and Doomed were meant to be 12 issues. One or one part of the story was suppose to be told in two volumes.

Sales were fine before Bunn got it cut off. Pretty much DC editorial doing what it does best-mess up something. I suspect Bunn did not Bunn did not learn of that until it was too late to fix the story.

Same issue with Lobdell's Doomed-we never learned Doomsday Junior's last name and it felt like it had more to say. Which is why he popped up in Teen Titans looking like Tuvok.

I would suspect Rebirth being rushed out was the culprit as well. Have John & Guy together leading to the HJ & TGLC book.

I suspect they let Taylor just toss something out there knowing they were headed to Rebirth. We saw the same thing with Xombi-the book was axed before issue one due to New 52. So you just had a book out there.
    Yea, DC should've done better there.

Also, I feel they did what they did, because they got Ethan Van Sciver back to DC Comics. I remember him saying they asked him what projects he wants to work on and said anything green lantern related. I'm sure there was some influence that got Bunn off the project while Taylor was working on a new GLC project related to that.

I'm just hoping that DC learns from their past mistakes in management.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED