Page 23 of 177 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I agree in principle, and from a character standpoint, but it's hard for me to take it seriously almost everytime Lois is anywhere near the field next to Superman; their not peers in that sense because that's not that character's arena. Kal's job as Clark and his job as Superman were two distinct aspects and Lois was equal to Clark is particulare context, but she doesn't belong in Superman's in the practical sense; the same with Barry as the Flash and Iris. John is more singular, his role as Green Lantern are far less separate than (GL is just want John does) so it makes sense that he would often have love interests who can hang in the holistic sense. Katma, Shayera, Yrra, Vixen all could hang with John in any aspect of his life in their own right, without it feeling forced, convoluted or cringey.
    Carter Hall has entered the chat.

Carter Hall has requested to know your location.

I get what you're saying insofar as for a civilian love interest to work, the character would need some degree of civilian life themselves and John just doesn't have one anymore, nor does he really stay around Earth so it's just not practical to try and maintain that from a storyteller's perspective. Same reason Tora doesn't show up much when Guy's a focus-- how often are we on Earth? At most, a civilian love interest for a GL would feature at the start or end of an arc as a small moment but you can't have them contribute to the A-plot much of ever.

Lois and Linda can since while their significant others are powered and they aren't, they operate in the same space and can have a B-plot which feeds the hero's A-plot in some fashion.

I do feel a space-capable character is best for John because otherwise we won't get much interaction between them. It's why I don't think Vixen's a good match for him.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-16-2021 at 11:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would you really argue that they're not? Have you seen what these women have had to go through to be with the men they love and still stick by them?
    On some level, the ladies mentioned get some kind of kick being in those relationships. Those relationships are rich with drama, deception, or simply shenanigans, in addition to the danger.

On some level, they would probably find John boring compared to the romantic histories with their lovers. Danger & passion would be plenty, but not much in the way of shenanigans.

John never engaged in shenanigans, AFAIK. Once he declares his feelings, it's on....until the relationship ends.

I really like that word.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    On some level, the ladies mentioned get some kind of kick being in those relationships. Those relationships are rich with drama, deception, or simply shenanigans, in addition to the danger.

On some level, they would probably find John boring compared to the romantic histories with their lovers. Danger & passion would be plenty, but not much in the way of shenanigans.

John never engaged in shenanigans, AFAIK. Once he declares his feelings, it's on....until the relationship ends.

I really like that word.
    You kind of are admitting John's a bit dull here, or at least a relationship with him is one devoid of any real input on his part. His career offers the danger and he's there for passion, but he has nothing to engage with as a person-- it'd make him a bad partner. I don't think that's a fair assessment. He has a history in academics (dummies typically don't become architects) and at least ONCE was very focused on social reforms. He had his interests. The JLA/U show also gave him some hobbies (he used to read comics, he enjoyed Old Yeller, etc). John definitely needs more fleshing out because it seems some writers just go with the default "military man" gimmick and write him somewhat two-dimensional. That works in a team setup where everyone is just an exaggeration of a personality type, but on his own adventures he needs a little more nuance.

Merry Christmas, buddy.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-16-2021 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I get what you're saying insofar as for a civilian love interest to work, the character would need some degree of civilian life themselves and John just doesn't have one anymore, nor does he really stay around Earth so it's just not practical to try and maintain that from a storyteller's perspective. Same reason Tora doesn't show up much when Guy's a focus-- how often are we on Earth? At most, a civilian love interest for a GL would feature at the start or end of an arc as a small moment but you can't have them contribute to the A-plot much of ever.

Lois and Linda can since while their significant others are powered and they aren't, they operate in the same space and can have a B-plot which feeds the hero's A-plot in some fashion.

I do feel a space-capable character is best for John because otherwise we won't get much interaction between them. It's why I don't think Vixen's a good match for him.
    Which is why I say they should just resurrect Katma Tui already.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

I'm all for more civilians, but it won't work with John or any GL anymore. DC doesn't let them stay earthbound outside of Justice League books. All their stories are in space now. Look at Hal and Guy. Each has a love interest on Earth (Carol and Tora respectively). How often do we see Tora? Granted Guy doesn't get much focus anymore, but almost never even when he does. Carol? She actually can go to space and her interactions with Hal are still rare outside of the Johns run. She showed up in Hal & Pals, what, twice in 50 issues? I had to look it up and yeah, she shows up twice and had no real agency either time.

For any GL to get pagetime with a love interest, they kind of need to be another GL or DC has zero interest. And for what it's worth? They need to give John's personality more than "I'm a marine who blew up a planet with my hubris," which he absolutely has, but they only focus on that. He won't be interesting if he remains two-dimensional and his love interest will absolutely run him over if they don't focus on defining his character. He got his roots as an architect with an ear to the ground for social reform-- that needs to be reintegrated into his character now more than ever.
    I see what you mean, but John can also look for romance in space as well and not just Earth. I mentioned him dating a superhero, because it can possibility boost up his profile even more. But yea, good points. I agree.

I can't see John with a civilian, unless she was a lantern stationed on Oa. Most of John's notable lovers (comics & outside media) have been battled tested women.

John needs a literal ride or die woman.
    Nothing wrong with that lol.

It's interesting how more Green Lanterns are flying ships these days

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I agree in principle, and from a character standpoint, but it's hard for me to take it seriously almost everytime Lois is anywhere near the field next to Superman; their not peers in that sense because that's not that character's arena. Kal's job as Clark and his job as Superman were two distinct aspects and Lois was equal to Clark in a particular context, but she doesn't belong in Superman's arena in the practical sense; the same with Barry as the Flash and Iris. John is more singular, his role as Green Lantern is far less separate frim him (GL is just want John does) so it makes sense that he would often have love interests who can hang in the holistic sense. Katma, Shayera, Yrra, Vixen all could hang with John in any aspect of his life in their own right, without it feeling forced, convoluted or cringey.
    Maybe I have an idealized view of reporters but I would think it would expected for them to get into the thick of things or dangerous situations they're out of their depth in because it's their job to report on it.

What about a Padme/Leia type of character?

I feel like that's a very surface level view of the relationship and those women and ultimately does them a disservice. It's like saying the prime motivation for Superheroes is because it's exciting and fun not because it's the right thing to do.

The danger causes more strife with the relationship than it ultimately helps.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Probably because of the power battery. I wonder if John needs to recharge these days or if he's a living battery.

who says those are green lanterns?

Ultimate Member

Well who is that John Stewart looking clone on the right?

Simon Baz. Geoffrey Thorne confirmed it

I see what you mean, but John can also look for romance in space as well and not just Earth. I mentioned him dating a superhero, because it can possibility boost up his profile even more. But yea, good points. I agree.
    What about a lady Blue Lantern? DC can invent somebody.

I actually don't mind GLs using spaceships. If they're basically space cops, that's their car.

I like them just zipping around in space by themselves, but it's not awful. It's a good stealth option too since it doesn't have to glow BRIGHT GREEN.

Unless they use those GL Corpse black discs that give them a stealth charge.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Probably because of the power battery. I wonder if John needs to recharge these days or if he's a living battery.
    Well John was in a space ship in the first arc of Snyder's run.

That's a good question. Hopefully that tattoo ring will still be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    who says those are green lanterns?
    Either way, it looks like an exciting sci-fi adventure