Page 147 of 177 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 2641
    Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Omg yes. I started to side eye this because it started becoming very propaganda-ish. I know GL's are peacekeepers but the characters and the role became so militaristic/authoritarian over the years.
    DC really needs to tone this down for sure. The GL's don't need to be anything other than the largest, most distinguished group of superheroes in the galaxy/universe who respond to any kind of call for aid, not just police things or war.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Omg yes. I started to side eye this because it started becoming very propaganda-ish. I know GL's are peacekeepers but the characters and the role became so militaristic/authoritarian over the years. Also, Guy got retconned into being a cop of all things and the similarities between him and most of the GL's being American Vets is no coincidence. I won't be surprised if Kyle was retconned next.
    And now Alan Scott is being retconned into an FBI agent for the TV show. So that's 3 military vets, and 3 cops among the 7 Earth GLs. That's just a failure of imagination. And it's not that I didn't think that Jo Mullien's ex-military vet/ex-cop background was essential to her character. It absolutely was, but you would have thought someone at some point in the creative chain would point out that there's already a glut of Americans, military vets, and cops among the Earth GLs.

At this point being a marine probably doesn't do anything for John regardless of how well it is executed.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    At this point being a marine probably doesn't do anything for John regardless of how well it is executed.
    But if you remove it, all the JLU fans will cry foul. And since that's where most of his fanbase comes from, they're stuck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And now Alan Scott is being retconned into an FBI agent for the TV show. So that's 3 military vets, and 3 cops among the 7 Earth GLs. That's just a failure of imagination. And it's not that I didn't think that Jo Mullien's ex-military vet/ex-cop background was essential to her character. It absolutely was, but you would have thought someone at some point in the creative chain would point out that there's already a glut of Americans, military vets, and cops among the Earth GLs.
    Now I'm remembering Jessica Cruz's trauma-inducing event was her going out hunting, if I remember right.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Which is funny because the alien GL's are scientist, doctors, kings/queens, regular citizens, etc and they do their GL job equally fine as the humans.

I didn't even remember about Alan. Man, I just know the military aspect for John is gonna get further pushed especially if the "buddy cop" movie with Hal becomes true.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    DC really needs to tone this down for sure. The GL's don't need to be anything other than the largest, most distinguished group of superheroes in the galaxy/universe who respond to any kind of call for aid, not just police things or war.
    Agreed! My favorite showing of GL's was when Kat and John created a planet for Replikon.

Ultimate Member

But if you remove it, all the JLU fans will cry foul. And since that's where most of his fanbase comes from, they're stuck with it.

The issue with John and 95% of POC at Marvel and DC is that they are forever LIMITED in what they have.

For years John Stewart has been defined by a blow up planet and being a marine. If that is all to him and EVERY writer keeps tossing that out-what happens? You get calls of a boring character.

There is a reason folks drift towards the tv versions of John, Cyborg, Vixen, Static (NOT Young Justice version) and so on-because those are more interesting versions that are NOT restricted by editors and writers who are scared to show competent and fully developed or POC in most of these books.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The issue with John and 95% of POC at Marvel and DC is that they are forever LIMITED in what they have.

For years John Stewart has been defined by a blow up planet and being a marine. If that is all to him and EVERY writer keeps tossing that out-what happens? You get calls of a boring character.

There is a reason folks drift towards the tv versions of John, Cyborg, Vixen, Static (NOT Young Justice version) and so on-because those are more interesting versions that are NOT restricted by editors and writers who are scared to show competent and fully developed or POC in most of these books.
    Stick around.

John's about to go through some VERY interesting times and DC is, thus far, 100% on board.

Extraordinary Member

I think John's marine background gives him some extra layers, but I just wish that there wasn't so much uniformity to the Earth GLs. Hal Jordan is a military veteran. John is a military veteran. Jo Mulliens is a military veteran. And ALL of them are American.

It's so myopic that it makes the franchise feel smaller.
    Uh.....yo Green GI Joe!!!!
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 10-24-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Omg yes. I started to side eye this because it started becoming very propaganda-ish. I know GL's are peacekeepers but the characters and the role became so militaristic/authoritarian over the years. Also, Guy got retconned into being a cop of all things and the similarities between him and most of the GL's being American Vets is no coincidence. I won't be surprised if Kyle was retconned next.
    I forgot about Guy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I hope she shows up again.

My favorite showing of GL's was when Kat and John created a planet for Replikon.

Ah, John & Kat.....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Stick around.

John's about to go through some VERY interesting times and DC is, thus far, 100% on board.
    I got nothing but trust in RJ.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I've been to many fan communities and this forum is one of the few I've discovered that prefer John for his non-military stuff. Most places say, the arkham discord server and reddit love him because of this aspect or were big fans of jlu. I used to like him a lot but now I really do think he's boring as meatloaf.

I see a lot of you talking about having your own mental image of John without being this boring military guy, but if he's been written this way for the past serveral years, it really is a defining part of his character. Like architect john or whoever you guys like is a completely unrecognizable character

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    I've been to many fan communities and this forum is one of the few I've discovered that prefer John for his non-military stuff. Most places say, the arkham discord server and reddit love him because of this aspect or were big fans of jlu. I used to like him a lot but now I really do think he's boring as meatloaf.

I see a lot of you talking about having your own mental image of John without being this boring military guy, but if he's been written this way for the past serveral years, it really is a defining part of his character. Like architect john or whoever you guys like is a completely unrecognizable character
    Well, architect John has at least been fairly relevant to his comic portrayal for the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post

We know lmao. Most of us are well aware that Marine John is the default for the character and being a stick in the mud is his default personality. But that doesn’t have to be the case. After all most people had no clue who Stewart was before the DCAU, if he gets another high profile appearance that goes in a different direction, perception of him will change. Some of us are hoping that’s the case.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/