Page 13 of 177 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I hope so. Dark alternate future stories are just not my thing. They were fresh and exciting a few decades ago, but now they've been driven into the ground from endless repetition. As a result, none of the Future State have really worked for me because they all seen to be rehashing the same old tropes we've seen dozens of times now. Hell, even The Next Batman, which I loved, is leaning on that stuff a lot, but there's enough fresh stuff in there that I'm still on board--although I'm sure the Nick Derrington of it all helped
    Nope.

I promise you, for sure, no rehashing will occur.

We're going "thataway."

Incredible Member

I'm sorry to say that the GL: Future State issue didn't really do it for me, nor have any of the other Future State stories I've checked out with the notable exception of The Next Batman (which I thought was quite good).

This felt like generic military sci-fi stuff to me and John didn't really display any of his quirkier qualities that I've found so endearing about him in the past. I've grown bored to tears with hard ass military leader John. I want to see more of the weird, introspective, community-building, jazz loving blerd who thinks outside the box. That side of the character has seemingly been completely forgotten in favor of a type of character I can find in literally thousands of other sci-fi action stories.

I'm glad John's finally getting the spotlight and that some of you are enjoying this, but I can't imagine that this is the kind of story that's going to make any kind of impression to non-John fans given all the other comics and entertainment available to readers. To make any kind of dent in today's market, there has to be something bold, unique or special about your tale. I'm just not seeing that here, which is a damned shame.

I'll check back in once the ongoing series starts. Hopefully, without the need for tired dark alternate future tropes, there'll be a greater focus on who John Stewart is beyond the same sci-fi action hero protagonist we've already seen again and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I read the issue and I thought it was really good. I was very pleased reading this. I also like how the narration was handled. It's nice to see John lead and be in the action at the same time. John really needs a supporting cast without borrowing characters from other characters. He needs characters that sticks to him. The new characters in this book is a real treat for the character. I'm hoping we'll see more when April comes. I'm curious to see what happened to Kilowog in the next issue. I'm excited for the next issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    There's nothing wrong being critical. So no need to apologize

I think writers tend to go to that aspect the most, is because of the popularity of his appearance from the cartoon, where he was the Marine. John Stewart was portrayed as being the heavy thinker around Van Jensen's run. He defined the character as the builder and the destroyer. But his run depended too much on crossovers. I'm sure we'll get to see other sides of John in April.
    That's what I'm hoping for. As much as the JLU portrayal really helped push John into the public eye, it unfortunately pigeonholed him into the no nonsense military leader archetype, which is a shame because Dwayne McDuffie was also able to layer that fairly interesting elements on top of that, like John being a huge nerd. I was hoping that the comics would be able to combine all that with the other wonderful layers of John's character from O'Neil, Wein, Englehart, Preist & Jones into a more multi-faceted character that has largely been stuck in bland military guy mode for too long.
    I got to agree. While I did enjoy elements of this story and could tell Geoff put his all into this, Marine John isn't really a take that stands out for me after JL/JLU. I preferred seeing more elements of the architect John Stewart, the builder,thinker, leader, weird and interesting blerd that John Stewart is/can be. I was so excited when Scott Snyder suggested in bringing those elements back and playing it against his guilt as well as reading Jensen's take of John. I do agree John needs more of his own supporting cast, than borrowing others in order to make him stand out. Especially bc even in the cartoon, despite it bringing in the limelight, it didn't do more with John (no interesting use of constructs for one) and it took season 2- a good portion of JLU to bring out the best parts of that take of John.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to see what Green Lantern#1 brings and that interview has me interested in what gets brought to the table, but it feels like the marine part overshadows so many more things th

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I got to agree. While I did enjoy elements of this story and could tell Geoff put his all into this, Marine John isn't really a take that stands out for me after JL/JLU. I preferred seeing more elements of the architect John Stewart, the builder,thinker, leader, weird and interesting blerd that John Stewart is/can be. I was so excited when Scott Snyder suggested in bringing those elements back and playing it against his guilt as well as reading Jensen's take of John. I do agree John needs more of his own supporting cast, than borrowing others in order to make him stand out. Especially bc even in the cartoon, despite it bringing in the limelight, it didn't do more with John (no interesting use of constructs for one) and it took season 2- a good portion of JLU to bring out the best parts of that take of John.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited to see what Green Lantern#1 brings and that interview has me interested in what gets brought to the table, but it feels like the marine part overshadows so many more things th
    boy are you guys going to feel sheepish when your friends tell you what happens in part 2.

are you all getting the issue in hard copy or on comixology?
    The J-man

Wow. There are SO many issues of future state. I have decided to comixology the John Stewart series and Justice League as well as the next Batman. And that's it.

Incredible Member

ComiXology for me too. Just easier at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    boy are you guys going to feel sheepish when your friends tell you what happens in part 2.

Ok, I’m holding you to that. Interested to see what part 2 brings.

Incredible Member

I read the issue yesterday: Considering I am a Kyle Rayner fan first (and both Future State and the new series don't seem to bring him in any way, shape, or form) take my comments with a pinch of salt.

I loved the art, but I knew that because Tom Raney is one of my favorite pencilers.

The story itself wasn't bad, but I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it is cool to see John in a true leading role (albeit it seems his military background is all there is left of the character nowadays), but on the other, I absolutely hate "Future State" type of stories (others that come to mind: Geoff Johns last GL issue, Futures End, and the most recent GL Anniversary). I think I would have enjoyed it far more if this would have been a 2-issues arc in the main series, where John and co. had to deal with their rings having been drained for *insert reasons*

Verdict: For now, I will get Future State issue #2, and while I am not yet sold on the new GL series, I will treat it on an issue by issue basis.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I read the issue yesterday: Considering I am a Kyle Rayner fan first (and both Future State and the new series don't seem to bring him in any way, shape, or form) take my comments with a pinch of salt.

I loved the art, but I knew that because Tom Raney is one of my favorite pencilers.

The story itself wasn't bad, but I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it is cool to see John in a true leading role (albeit it seems his military background is all there is left of the character nowadays), but on the other, I absolutely hate "Future State" type of stories (others that come to mind: Geoff Johns last GL issue, Futures End, and the most recent GL Anniversary). I think I would have enjoyed it far more if this would have been a 2-issues arc in the main series, where John and co. had to deal with their rings having been drained for *insert reasons*

Verdict: For now, I will get Future State issue #2, and while I am not yet sold on the new GL series, I will treat it on an issue by issue basis.
    Thank you for the open mind. I think if you look at this as a jump FAR ahead in the story (because that's what it is) you'll be well happy with how Green Lantern #1 rolls out. Green Lantern: Future State is FURY ROAD. No one ever said Green Lantern was going to be that.

At least not me (and I would know)

I promise you, John will be considerably more complex and nuanced than his nothing-but-a-marine self. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

=)

Also, yes, Tom Raney is everything.
    Last edited by Redjack; 01-13-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    ComiXology for me too. Just easier at this point.

Ok, I’m holding you to that. Interested to see what part 2 brings.
    Quick note. I was going for "sinister laugh" with the GIF, not poking at YOU.

It was the only one i could find that was close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    are you all getting the issue in hard copy or on comixology?
    I read everything now on comixology, unless it is a trade collection or omnibus that I want on my shelf. I don't have the space anymore to just have monthlies hanging around my place.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Quick note. I was going for "sinister laugh" with the GIF, not poking at YOU.

It was the only one i could find that was close.
    Lol, I kind of figured it was a “wait till I see what I got next” post. I can tell you got love for the character, lol, it’s all good. You’re doing your thing and enjoying it. You got my support, I might not agree with every decision but I am excited in anticipating or seeing what you do next.

That's what I'm hoping for. As much as the JLU portrayal really helped push John into the public eye, it unfortunately pigeonholed him into the no nonsense military leader archetype, which is a shame because Dwayne McDuffie was also able to layer that fairly interesting elements on top of that, like John being a huge nerd. I was hoping that the comics would be able to combine all that with the other wonderful layers of John's character from O'Neil, Wein, Englehart, Preist & Jones into a more multi-faceted character that has largely been stuck in bland military guy mode for too long.
    I actually loved that nerd angle on what Dwayne McDuffie did for John in the JL cartoon! There were like two episodes with that. So yea, there are more layers to the character that's waited to be explored in the comics.

Great start, in facts enjoyed all the GL stories shocking lol. Wasn’t a big fan of artist would prefer Chris Cross (who did the Vixen story or Sami Basri who did the Jessica story) but it is what it..

Looking forward to seeing more of ILO, Bekka & Hood..
    Hopefully John keep this look ( hair style & facial hair) when the time stream resets..

BANNED