Page 73 of 177 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2641
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    that's all any of us ask for.

thanks for the open mind.

and remember. it's only issue #1.
    Just finished reading it myself and really enjoyed it. I was aprehensive, since the future state issues weren't my cup of tea but both you and the artist did a great job here. Looking forward to more!

I thought the first issue was off to a good start and I appreciated some references, especially a certain one about John and the guardians that I’ll try very hard not to spoil. The main story was also interesting as well and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I only have one question....that dude in the white robe with long hair, is he new? I had no idea if we were supposed to recognize him or not.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I read the first issue and I dug it!

I'm not a huge Lantern fan and have no horse in the Lantern character race, but I appreciated everyone being mentioned and the voices Redjack gave to the characters. There was quite a bit of content, because of the extra pages but also in terms of plotlines and mysteries. I like that. Kinda felt like a tv pilot in that sense.

John's characterization was awesome, though, and again I say that as someone with little to no bias towards GL lead (although I guess my favorite is Jessica cuz she's Latina and suffers from anxiety issues which resonates quite strongly with me). He got to be a leader, a paternal figure to Keli, elder statesman and brother in arms to Simon, an equal and spiritual brother to Hal, and respect from the Guardians.

I'm in. Thanks Redjack! and all artistic collaborators.

just read the first issue. overall, I dug this issue. it's doing a good job setting up the cosmic landscape we're gonna be working with going forward, has some interesting nods to the story elements we're gonna see explored, and some interesting looking new characters. I did really like the Guardians straight up recognizing John's tenture as a Guardian and acknowledging that makes his relationship to them uniquely significant within the greater Corp. although I would've preferred John more confident in the face of the United Planets, I did like that once **** hit the fan he went straight into work mode and got on his job. I respect that.

what knocks it down for me is some of the dialogue; especially with Teen Lantern. I've grown a little sensitive to the spanglish/"slips into spanish" trope, it's cringey and makes me roll my eyes. it's especially egregious here because we're in space and dealing with a setting where everything is autotranslated across species through their technology, so the broken english makes even less sense. the elemental people's "medieval" speak was pretty bad too. ye this ye that, it reads like a bad renaissance fair; that ain't it chief. also the dialogue at the begin doesn't makes sense when we revisit the same scene later in the book, which kinda took me out of it because it retroactively made the opening scene feel like an overtly cheap "for the previews" hook. I would've preferred if they just started the story at the start of the story instead of the flashforward then "how did we get here" maneuver.

other than those nitpicks, it was a solid read. pilots/first issues are almost universally rough but there's still enough there that I wanna see where it goes. like a strong 6 to a light 7.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-06-2021 at 10:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

So I read the first issue and it was really good!! I love the way how he handled John and the other characters. There was also something I was wondering whether they did a sort of retcon on John's past when they were referencing him. The cosmic political elements were excellent. It was put together really well here. Probably one of my favorite parts in the book. I'm glad that we're starting to see newer concepts being added into the mythos. So yea, we're being headed in a whole new direction within the Green Lantern mythology. And John's characterization as a leader was handled very well. I can't wait to read the next issue.

I'm gonna read it again after work!

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I thought the first issue was off to a good start and I appreciated some references, especially a certain one about John and the guardians that I’ll try very hard not to spoil. The main story was also interesting as well and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I only have one question....that dude in the white robe with long hair, is he new? I had no idea if we were supposed to recognize him or not.
    Yea, I don't recognize that character. So that character can be new. We may see more of that character down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, I don't recognize that character. So that character can be new. We may see more of that character down the line.
    Yeah I wasn't sure but then he talked about how he studied the book of OA and the Spectrum, and I was just thinking "Do I know this guy from anywhere?"
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Great first issue! Redjack does a solid job recapping the major beats of previous GL lore from stuff like Johns run to more obscure stuff like when Stewart became a Guardian. It manages to tie in to what’s going on with the United Planets without feeling like a boring infodump. We also get to see the first seeds of this new magic vs. science conflict, and it ties into the history of the Guardians in an interesting way, such as their experiments with the Starheart.

Good voice for John. He can be pensive and broody but when duty calls he snaps into action and can use his brains as well as his fists. Great art as well from Soy and Santucci, the world looks so colorful and exciting. Really think we’re in for something great here.
    Last edited by Vordan; 04-06-2021 at 09:57 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I wasn't sure but then he talked about how he studied the book of OA and the Spectrum, and I was just thinking "Do I know this guy from anywhere?"
    Of all the Green Lantern books I've read, I never seen that character before. And yea, for this character to have studied the book of OA and is unrecognizable? It has to be a new character.

Wonder if Redjack is going to flesh out what the Book of Oa actually *is*? We only got three of the ten laws from when it got rewritten if I recall correctly.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder if Redjack is going to flesh out what the Book of Oa actually *is*? We only got three of the ten laws from when it got rewritten if I recall correctly.
    I wouldn't be surprised. Given that the Book of OA was mentioned, I can't see him leaving that out. As I said earlier, we are moving into a new direction within the mythos, which is a good thing. So this is something I would expect him to touch upon, but how deep he goes into it (like getting into the laws and such), I don't know.

I just want to say “Thank You”. This is the book I needed.

Whoever that new guy in white is...I love everything he was talking about. Total agreement.

Overall, a pleasure for the mind as well as the eyes. Excellent work by all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. Given that the Book of OA was mentioned, I can't see him leaving that out. As I said earlier, we are moving into a new direction within the mythos, which is a good thing. So this is something I would expect him to touch upon, but how deep he goes into it (like getting into the laws and such), I don't know.
    The Book of Oa has been
    -A collection of laws regulating Corps conduct
    -A history book of the GLC
    -A powerful artifact in its own right
    -A book containing the secrets of the Guardians
    Yet nobody has really bothered to clarify what it’s role is beyond “ominous MacGuffin”.

Read the first issue and I have to say that RJ is off to a very good start. I'm gonna be sad to see Soy leave the book but I'm also a Raney fan so I will survive. Not sure yet if we are looking at the beginning of the definitive John Stewart comic run yet, but I'm all in with this series and have the utmost faith we'll get to the point where this is considered that definitive run.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Read the first issue and I have to say that RJ is off to a very good start. I'm gonna be sad to see Soy leave the book but I'm also a Raney fan so I will survive. Not sure yet if we are looking at the beginning of the definitive John Stewart comic run yet, but I'm all in with this series and have the utmost faith we'll get to the point where this is considered that definitive run.

If you liked #1, #2 is going to blow your mind.