Page 78 of 177 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2641

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Speaking of cities, I don't mind there being a fictional city for specifically John Stewart. I would love to see something like that in an updated John Stewart origin story.
    Honestly you’d be better giving John a real city. The problem with fictional cities is unless you put in the effort to build them up and make them feel “alive”, a lot of the time they can just become generic and boring. Gotham has a character all its own, but the other cities, Metropolis, Central, Coast, they struggle. If you anchor John in a real city you can draw on the culture of that place to shape his character without having to build said culture from scratch.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly you’d be better giving John a real city. The problem with fictional cities is unless you put in the effort to build them up and make them feel “alive”, a lot of the time they can just become generic and boring. Gotham has a character all its own, but the other cities, Metropolis, Central, Coast, they struggle. If you anchor John in a real city you can draw on the culture of that place to shape his character without having to build said culture from scratch.
    I feel like at least adaptions or certain runs do a good enough job of developing those cities, if not consistently.

Incredible Member

John was recently in the city of Detroit. Ironically so was Cyborg until the end of Cyborg # 18 and then in Cyborg # 19 he was in Africa. And in Cyborg # 21 he was in Hawaii. Dc just can't seem to make up their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like at least adaptions or certain runs do a good enough job of developing those cities, if not consistently.
    With Metropolis they usually give it a “retrofuture” vibe. It’s fine if lacking in depth and connection to Superman as a character the way Gotham connects its aesthetic with Batman. But what runs would you say have brought out the best in Central or Coast? I’ve rarely seen a character beyond “this is where Flash/GL live”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I wouldn't want John being from a fictional city. Detroit works just fine for him. He's a character with one foot planted firmly in real world concerns.

With Metropolis they usually give it a “retrofuture” vibe. It’s fine if lacking in depth and connection to Superman as a character the way Gotham connects its aesthetic with Batman. But what runs would you say have brought out the best in Central or Coast? I’ve rarely seen a character beyond “this is where Flash/GL live”.
    I guess it depends on how you view Superman, because I feel like that can really work with Superman's character.

Johns, Williamson, The Flash TV show, etc.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think we may very well have a Green Lantern origin with John Stewart sometime in the future.

The problem is that when you have quite a few human Green Lanterns and there's only one Green Lantern book, they have to be used somewhere. I'm pretty sure, that was one of the reasons why the editors wanted Redjack to use other human Green Lantern characters. Personally, I prefer most of John's stories to be away in space than on Earth, unless he's in the Justice Leauge or there's some big event that's taking place on Earth. It's easier to have characters that's specifically tied for John when he's on space than on Earth imo. We don't often see a black superhero ruling the cosmos these days. Also the United Planets is being established with John as front and center. This is a good build up for the character imo.

And a Star Wars type adventure sounds promising! lol
    Agreed and co-signed!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    John was recently in the city of Detroit. Ironically so was Cyborg until the end of Cyborg # 18 and then in Cyborg # 19 he was in Africa. And in Cyborg # 21 he was in Hawaii. Dc just can't seem to make up their minds.
    This is the same Cyborg that can teleport, right?!?

But somehow it's wrong for a character with teleportation tech to go to different locations?!?

2ndly, he also traverses the internet- the WORLD WIDE WEB

Combination of those 2 things warrants Cyborg to pop up ANYWHERE on earth and in outer space that has technology.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

But somehow it's wrong for a character with teleportation tech to go to different locations?!?

Combination of those 2 things warrants Cyborg to pop up ANYWHERE on earth and in outer space that has technology.
    On the surface it would be normal but considering that after the Cyborg solo series ending he had no supporting characters at all. In Justice League Odyssey he did not mention his father once in the entire two years that that series was published. Nor any other supporting characters like Sarah Charles. Silas appeared in the Terrifics and in Detective Comics# 999. He has yet to appear in Teen Titans Academy or even mentioned in Future State Titans. I'm just very curious as to why DC has decided to go this route with Cyborg and John Stewart to strip them of their supporting characters.
    Last edited by abetterday; 04-13-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I did not want to say anything since it's the first issue but honestly I kinda feel the same way. I'm just tired of John being Corps leader and always being the one to be stuck in space. I too would like some updated details on his origin and some much needed development on his personal life.

I would love to see John do more things on Earth and just explore his character there. Like, see more of his architect work and business, establish more of his friends and family outside of superheroics, and just see more outside of him being some stern military leader.

I guess rereading Engleharts spoiled me in wanting this stuff but like I said it's only the first issue.
    Well I get what you mean......but I think keeping Stewart was Corps Leader makes him relevant to the point were it's near impossible to do any GLC story without him unless it involves a GL going on solo adventures.

2ndly, Stewart gets to be involved in decision making within the leadership of the GLC.....not portrayed as yet another rebellious hero or one that just takes orders.

3rd, now is NOT the time to remove Stewart from Corp Leader just when he is getting involved in a powerful galactic diplomacy -the very beginnings of the United Planets that sparks the next 1000 years of DC history towards the Legion of Superheroes future down the line. Thank goodness Superman was NOT involved here, FC tends to force and shoehorn supes Everytime into such galactic conventions.

4th, We do not necessarily need whole issues for John's earth live......some back-up stories on a few pages at the end of each issue should suffice .Giving each issue a doubly whammy of John in space and on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I wouldn't want John being from a fictional city. Detroit works just fine for him. He's a character with one foot planted firmly in real world concerns.
    Fair enough.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    On the surface it would be normal but considering that after the Cyborg solo series ending he had no supporting characters at all. In Justice League Odyssey he did not mention his father once in the entire two years that that series was published. Nor any other supporting characters like Sarah Charles. Silas appeared in the Terrifics and in Detective Comics# 999. He has yet to appear in Teen Titans Academy or even mentioned in Future State Titans. I'm just very curious as to why DC has decided to go this route with Cyborg and John Stewart to strip them of their supporting characters.
    It seemed fairly obvious from the early issues that the writer of JLO was NOT a fan of Cyborg which was later confirmed when her fridges Cyborg. JLO was a perfect chance to explore Cyborg's connection to the New Gods through the motherbox and Darkseid but nope....writer when with forced nonsensical stuff that made me drop the book.

John has had some "support" characters but not really to the level that qualifies them as truly support characters.

Usually in team based books like the JLO, JL and GLC, vet rally do we get recurring support character for an individual team character unless the story/plot affecting/involving the whole team originates from or is based on a single team member.

It seemed fairly obvious from the early issues that the writer of JLO was NOT a fan of Cyborg which was later confirmed when her fridges Cyborg. JLO was a perfect chance to explore Cyborg's connection to the New Gods through the motherbox and Darkseid but nope....writer when with forced nonsensical stuff that made me drop the book.

John has had some "support" characters but not really to the level that qualifies them as truly support characters.

Usually in team based books like the JLO, JL and GLC, vet rally do we get recurring support character for an individual team character unless the story/plot affecting/involving the whole team originates from or is based on a single team member.
    It was the second writer Dan Abnett who fridged Cyborg. The original writer, Joshua Williamson, had Vic on an interesting path.

All-New Member

I was just reading through the first issue of the new GL run, isn't the Starheart supposed to be composed of all the magic in the universe? This alien says the Gaurdians stole half the magic.
    alien.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GazeWithin View Post
    I was just reading through the first issue of the new GL run, isn't the Starheart supposed to be composed of all the magic in the universe? This alien says the Gaurdians stole half the magic.
    alien.jpg
    Well according to her perspective, it was stolen.

And yes, the Starheart was originally composed of all sorts of magic.