Page 54 of 177 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    So it is said the writer is a long time John fan, but is he team Katma? or Team Fatality? or Team Rose (Mosaic)? or whomever that reporter was that kind of liked John when he revealed his secret identity right before he hooked up with Katama? I wonder, GL's are all very Kirk-like in their # of love interests. Come to think of it Rose is a GL groupie, having been in relationships with Guy, Hal and John. Kyle and Jo better watch out she collects earth GL's like Larfleeze hoards stuff.
    Tawny Young?

BANNED

Re: Earth-connected villains-- Always thought this was a good idea, since you could have a GL rival fit in more naturally with the Legion (Lex, Joker, Cheetah, Cap Cold, etc.) than Sinestro, who should be too busy to be hanging out with a group so disconnected from Korugar or from cosmic-scale happenings. I also don't think Sinestro's petty enough to be joining a player-haters club.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    No spoilers but you're not going to get much help form looking backwards at the GL mythology. There's a good amount of lore underpinning this arc but it's nowhere near as immediate or specific as you guys are thinking.

I agree, John probably needs a love interest but he's going to have his hands too full with the new threats to worry much about dating.
    Looking forward to this

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I always predicted that there will be another Green Lantern book spinning off of this title. I'm hoping that would happen and this would help expand DC Cosmic titles.

The emotional spectrum has been written for about over a decade, so it's time we get to see new concepts being added to the mythos. And I'm hoping these new concepts are here to stay and not disappear. I prefer to see a brand new villain that's more exclusive to John than anyone else's. The issue here, is that there's really no GL villain that's as iconic as Sinestro. So it'll take a lot of effort and investment to build up a new villain that can be nearly as iconic. And TPTB at DC would have to follow through. Kyle had his own arch nemesis and you don't hear nothing about that character, so I hope the same mistake won't be made here. Obscure characters like Shark, Tattoo Man, Hector Hammond, etc. are meh and forgettable in my opinion. I think the creative team can do much much better in that regard when it comes to creating new GL villains.
    It’s never easy I agree, but it’s not impossible. Look at the Court of Owls for Batman for instance. They’re only ten years old and are already beating much longer established Batman villains in getting adapted to outside media. Right now is the perfect time to create new stuff for John, with the superhero craze in full swing and outside adaptions taking what they can from the comics, there’s a strong chance of whatever Redjack creates here showing up in a movie or a TV show. So I say go big and give John stuff that’s his that’s built specifically around him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I sincerely hope he's not a Green Lantern, just because I hate that John is John bullshit they're pulling. it's grossly tone-deaf.
    Agreed. I don't want Diggle anywhere near John's mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Agreed. I don't want Diggle anywhere near John's mythos.
    What's so bad about Diggle that he can't just be one version of John?

Diggle being the Arrowverse John Stewart is whatever. It won’t stop John from getting used in the film, and no one is going to turn comic John into Diggle so I don’t care.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Maybe I'm biased because I like Diggle, but I think it's fine for its setting.

Diggle being JS is awful idea imo.. He can be GL just don’t make him into a CW version of JS

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe I'm biased because I like Diggle, but I think it's fine for its setting.
    if they reverse engineered Oliver Queen into Bruce Wayne - like out of the blue start throwing out winks and nods towards the idea, until they introduced Oliver's stepdad that raised him from a kid, so pretty much like he was his real dad, and his name was Thomas Wayne, and in the last episode in the final Mr. Wayne gets shot and Oliver's story ends on him picking up a Bat themed suit, purely based in the two characters in question both are rich white dudes - would that sit right with you? coming from the same network that took one of the coolest black male lead heroes and made him the goofy gay sidekick?

it's not a matter of Diggle being a "version of John", they did that when they revealed Diggle on the retro earth 3(?) flash's world as a power ring (implying that's actual John Stewart), it's the fact that some fans saw two black guys named John who were in the military and figured they're the same guy (largely in jest) and despite not being the name character the showrunners figured "oh well he is Black and named John, oh yeah that makes sense; be John Stewart!" and decided to contort John into someone he wasn't. it's cheap and it treats black characters like a monolith, and you can just plug and play whatever Black wherever you want because, well, a black is a black amiright?

look, I like Diggle, John Ramsey's one of the best parts about Arrow, but it's not only a disservice to his character by not letting him actually be his own fiction entity but it's a weird contrivance that's more insulting than clever. if they just had him out of the blue become a GL, none if this extra winking and nodding at John Stewart, I wouldn't have cared but the way they are going about this is some premium bull as far as I'm concerned. I stuck it out with Arrow for a grip but by the end they were getting gimmicky and soap opera esque, which is how we get to the point where the showrunners were crafting fan service based on fan theories from reddit as a substitute for actual story and compelling plot points. that's the other thing, it's just plain lazy aside from it's general corniness. I remember reading this exact fan theory when it first came out. so the fact that I know that these creators were just perusing the arrow reddit and haphazardly throwing whatever lowest common denominator fan concept on the show in some backwards attempt to boost viewership. it's a big reason why I fell off and have had no desire to return to that universe.

mind you, that's just my stance on the idea, I've long since stopped watching the CW shows. so I guess, ultimately, it doesn't really matter since, except maybe Stargirl , definitely Black Lightning, and unless Naomi gets her show, I'm not the guy watching their shows anyway; I just think it's some bullshit.

if a got typos, meh fuckit
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-25-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

No spoilers but you're not going to get much help form looking backwards at the GL mythology. There's a good amount of lore underpinning this arc but it's nowhere near as immediate or specific as you guys are thinking.

I agree, John probably needs a love interest but he's going to have his hands too full with the new threats to worry much about dating.
    I am outraged! Everyone knows we fans buy superhero comics for the kissy parts! Unacceptable!

if they reverse engineered Oliver Queen into Bruce Wayne - like out of the blue start throwing out winks and nods towards the idea, until they introduced Oliver's stepdad that raised him from a kid, so pretty much like he was his real dad, and his name was Thomas Wayne, and in the last episode in the final Mr. Wayne gets shot and Oliver's story ends on him picking up a Bat themed suit, purely based in the two characters in question both are rich white dudes - would that sit right with you? coming from the same network that took one of the coolest black male lead heroes and made him the goofy gay sidekick?

it's not a matter of Diggle being a "version of John", they did that when they revealed Diggle on the retro earth 3(?) flash's world as a power ring (implying that's actual John Stewart), it's the fact that some fans saw two black guys named John who were in the military and figured they're the same guy (largely in jest) and despite not being the name character the showrunners figured "oh well he is Black and named John, oh yeah that makes sense; be John Stewart!" and decided to contort John into someone he wasn't. it's cheap and it treats black characters like a monolith, and you can just plug and play whatever Black wherever you want because, well, a black is a black amiright?

look, I like Diggle, John Ramsey's one of the best parts about Arrow, but it's not only a disservice to his character by not letting him actually be his own fiction entity but it's a weird contrivance that's more insulting than clever. if they just had him out of the blue become a GL, none if this extra winking and nodding at John Stewart, I wouldn't have cared but the way they are going about this is some premium bull as far as I'm concerned. I stuck it out with Arrow for a grip but by the end they were getting gimmicky and soap opera esque, which is how we get to the point where the showrunners where substituting craft fan service based on fan theories from reddit become over actual story and compelling plot points. that's the other thing, it's just plain lazy aside from it's general corniness. I remember reading this exact fan theory when it first came out, so the fact that I know that these creators were just perusing the arrow reddit and haphazardly throwing whatever lowest common denominator fan concept on the show in some backwards attempt to boost viewership. it's a big reason why I fell off and have had no desire to return to that universe.

mind you, that's just my stance on the idea, I've long since stopped watching the CW shows. so I guess, ultimately, it doesn't really matter since, except maybe Stargirl , definitely Black Lightning, and unless Naomi gets her show, I'm not the guy watching their shows anyway; I just think it's some bullshit.

Can’t agree more...

look, I like Diggle, John Ramsey's one of the best parts about Arrow, but it's not only a disservice to his character by not letting him actually be his own fiction entity but it's a weird contrivance that's more insulting than clever. if they just had him out of the blue become a GL, none if this extra winking and nodding at John Stewart, I wouldn't have cared but the way they are going about this is some premium bull as far as I'm concerned. I stuck it out with Arrow for a grip but by the end they were getting gimmicky and soap opera esque, which is how we get to the point where the showrunners were crafting fan service based on fan theories from reddit as a substitute for actual story and compelling plot points. that's the other thing, it's just plain lazy aside from it's general corniness. I remember reading this exact fan theory when it first came out. so the fact that I know that these creators were just perusing the arrow reddit and haphazardly throwing whatever lowest common denominator fan concept on the show in some backwards attempt to boost viewership. it's a big reason why I fell off and have had no desire to return to that universe.

I mean, Oliver more or less was that universes stand-in for Bruce up until they finally introduced the Bat-Mythos, so .

I think it was more that they saw similarities in both characterization and role (beyond just the military and name) and felt like they could use that to build up their own version of John Stewart within the framework of their take on the GL mythos. It's not contorting John into someone he wasn't, but evolving him from the character he was. More like when Butch on Gotham turned out to be Solomon Grundy.

Of course, I admit I was pretty resistant to the idea originally, but it's kind of grown on me for some reason.

Incredible Member

Clarification. the book isn't about John teaming up with Jo and the Teen Lantern.

That's not the same thing as it not being about Jo.

Heh, heh, heh.
    I listened to the podcast during a workout.

I wasn't disappointed.

You've led an interesting life (and this is coming from someone that's led an interesting life lol).

*hat tip*
    Don't complain. Create.