Page 75 of 177 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2641

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Hi!

Anda a moler agua is one of the phrases I didn't understand at first (and I am a native Spanish speaker), so it actually took me out of the story, and I had to Google its meaning. But in insight it makes sense.

But Eres estupido is quite the strong word for a teen/kid, and Agua Chica is just plain wrong.
    Keli is a street kid from La Paz. Her relationship to adults, swearing and life in general is not the same as a middle-class American eleven year old. She looks cute on the outside but, don't get it twisted. She's one of the most dangerous people in this book.

As for "Agua chica," well, like I said. I will get things wrong sometimes. Working hard to get things right.

Now I'm just imagining John's ring translating Keli when she thinks its safe to cuss in her native language, only for John to catch her and tell her to watch it because they can all understand her fine with the rings.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Keli is a street kid from La Paz. Her relationship to adults, swearing and life in general is not the same as a middle-class American eleven year old. She looks cute on the outside but, don't get it twisted. She's one of the most dangerous people in this book.

As for "Agua chica," well, like I said. I will get things wrong sometimes. Working hard to get things right.
    Fair enough. I would have gone with "Que tontos son!" o "Que densos!" but my Spanish is from Argentina, so it is distinct.

In any event, if it happens to be you need help with Spanish feel free to reach out to me.

I was fairly meticulous in running down Bolivian street slang. I'm sure i made errors here and there (I'm not a Spanish speaker, obviously). Some of the things that don't read as proper syntax are specific to the Bolivian version of Spanish. For instance...

Anda a moler agua translates directly as “go grind water."

Obviously, it's nonsense when taking it literally but, in reality, it actually means “screw you!”.

ˇAnda a moler agua! Estoy cansado de tus mentiras. – Screw you! I'm tired of your lies.

I tried my best to be as authentic to the culture Keli is said to have been raised in. Since I'm not from that country or that city, I'm sure I will, on occasion, get things wrong. And I'll keep trying to do better.
    Fair enough. Overall, I enjoyed the issue. Any complaints I have about Keli's dialogue are just me being nitpicky. Keep up the good work.

https://twitter.com/msantucciart/sta...939722242?s=21

Anyone else get heavy Reis vibes from this page? Really impressive shot. Santucci really stepped up alongside Soy.

Also I liked that the Kryptonian vibe of John’s formal wear was deliberate, thought that was a cool nod.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

https://twitter.com/msantucciart/sta...939722242?s=21

Anyone else get heavy Reis vibes from this page? Really impressive shot. Santucci really stepped up alongside Soy.

Also I liked that the Kryptonian vibe of John’s formal wear was deliberate, thought that was a cool nod.
    I wouldn't say I've gotten Reis vibes. But both artist are amazing. They done a spectacular job.I wish that we can keep these artists.

I love Santucci's art. And the color is blended really well. I love the way he drew John.

I bought the comic digitally and I recently ordered the Green Lantern #1 variant cover, which should arrive next week. I want to see that beautiful art in print format as well.

The Book of Oa has been
    -A collection of laws regulating Corps conduct
    -A history book of the GLC
    -A powerful artifact in its own right
    -A book containing the secrets of the Guardians
    Yet nobody has really bothered to clarify what it’s role is beyond “ominous MacGuffin”.
    Sounds like we need some Jonathan Hickman data pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like we need some Jonathan Hickman data pages.
    If there’s one thing I’m dying to see other writers steal it’s that. Perfect for info dumping without doing that annoying Scott Snyder trait of just having someone (usually the villain) go on a 5 page monologue. Be a great fit for GL since you can say the rings are creating the pages or even have them be pages from the Book of Oa itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I wouldn't say I've gotten Reis vibes. But both artist are amazing. They done a spectacular job.I wish that we can keep these artists.

I love Santucci's art. And the color is blended really well. I love the way he drew John.

I bought the comic digitally and I recently ordered the Green Lantern #1 variant cover, which should arrive next week. I want to see that beautiful art in print format as well.
    Ah I forgot neither Soy nor Santucci are sticking around long. Damn shame since I love their art, it’s a great fit for GL. Tom Raney is taking over again right? I like him too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

If there’s one thing I’m dying to see other writers steal it’s that. Perfect for info dumping without doing that annoying Scott Snyder trait of just having someone (usually the villain) go on a 5 page monologue. Be a great fit for GL since you can say the rings are creating the pages or even have them be pages from the Book of Oa itself.
    It might be an acquired taste or clunky for some, but I can see when they're necessary.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Ahem. This was a great read and the most fun I've had reading John Stewart in a long time. Solid first issue and I'm sticking around for the next. Hope to see it keep moving along.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

This happens.

Comic reading Brazil is also all up in arms about Yara Flor's Portuguese. I do think you're doing quite a good job with Kelli (among others) though. Though I'm not bolivian (or a fluent spanish speaker, even though I can manage), I can totally see a latin american street kid in her.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Ah I forgot neither Soy nor Santucci are sticking around long. Damn shame since I love their art, it’s a great fit for GL. Tom Raney is taking over again right? I like him too.
    Yea, it's unfortunate. I think Tom Raney is taking over around June or later. I don't know if he's gonna be paired with another artist.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    This happens.

Comic reading Brazil is also all up in arms about Yara Flor's Portuguese. I do think you're doing quite a good job with Kelli (among others) though. Though I'm not bolivian (or a fluent spanish speaker, even though I can manage), I can totally see a latin american street kid in her.
    Thanks for contributing your thoughts about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ahem. This was a great read and the most fun I've had reading John Stewart in a long time. Solid first issue and I'm sticking around for the next. Hope to see it keep moving along.
    Yea, it's a really good issue. It was something that John really needed. Which was to be in a headlining in a Green Lantern book. John was great in the Justice League, now we get to see more of him as the main character in Green Lantern. DC has my upmost respect.

Between GL, Swamp Thing, and Hulk it’s a good time to be a fan of all things Green.

This is just beautiful