Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I agree in principle, and from a character standpoint, but it's hard for me to take it seriously almost everytime Lois is anywhere near the field next to Superman; their not peers in that sense because that's not that character's arena. Kal's job as Clark and his job as Superman were two distinct aspects and Lois was equal to Clark is particulare context, but she doesn't belong in Superman's in the practical sense; the same with Barry as the Flash and Iris. John is more singular, his role as Green Lantern are far less separate than (GL is just want John does) so it makes sense that he would often have love interests who can hang in the holistic sense. Katma, Shayera, Yrra, Vixen all could hang with John in any aspect of his life in their own right, without it feeling forced, convoluted or cringey.
    Carter Hall has entered the chat.

Carter Hall has requested to know your location.

I get what you're saying insofar as for a civilian love interest to work, the character would need some degree of civilian life themselves and John just doesn't have one anymore, nor does he really stay around Earth so it's just not practical to try and maintain that from a storyteller's perspective. Same reason Tora doesn't show up much when Guy's a focus-- how often are we on Earth? At most, a civilian love interest for a GL would feature at the start or end of an arc as a small moment but you can't have them contribute to the A-plot much of ever.

Lois and Linda can since while their significant others are powered and they aren't, they operate in the same space and can have a B-plot which feeds the hero's A-plot in some fashion.

I do feel a space-capable character is best for John because otherwise we won't get much interaction between them. It's why I don't think Vixen's a good match for him.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-16-2021 at 11:12 PM.