Page 162 of 177 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2641

GREEN LANTERN #11
    Written by GEOFFREY THORNE
    Art by TOM RANEY and MARCO SANTUCCI
    Cover by BERNARD CHANG and ALEX SINCLAIR
    Variant cover by ALAN QUAH
    Black history month variant cover by ALEXIS FRANKLIN
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | $5.99 US Variant (Card Stock)
    ON SALE 2/1/22

Not even the combined power of the ex-Green Lanterns, Jo Mullein, and the United Planets can stop the Anti-Guardian! Will John Stewart arrive in time to defeat the threat, and do his new powers even stand a chance? The battle for the fate of the Green Lantern Corps and the entire universe hangs in the balance in the penultimate issue of the "Last Lanterns" arc!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

"...I can assure you, unequivocally, when and if Hal appears, he will be the Hal Jordan that has been established and will behave the way DC Comics would like him to be portrayed. I do not diminish one character in order to elevate another..." - Geoffrey Thorne

"Did I stutter?" - Also Geoffrey Thorne.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    "...I can assure you, unequivocally, when and if Hal appears, he will be the Hal Jordan that has been established and will behave the way DC Comics would like him to be portrayed. I do not diminish one character in order to elevate another..." - Geoffrey Thorne

"Did I stutter?" - Also Geoffrey Thorne.
    Well, we haven't read the actual issue yet .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And in a comic with Cyborg to boot .
    Yup! Plus having more than one minority is a good thing, since it helps eliminates token quota speculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No it’s out of continuity, but it’s symbolic of how he’s back to being the “default” GL.
    I always prefer canon over non-canon, but it's good that John is being symbolized as a the default GL

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yup! Plus having more than one minority is a good thing, since it helps eliminates token quota speculations.

I always prefer canon over non-canon, but it's good that John is being symbolized as a the default GL
    You’re not alone in that regard, but maybe on account of coming to DC mostly through their standalone stories (as well as DC mainline continuity being so messy) that I’ve always enjoyed the standalone stories just as much or even moreso than the in-continuity stories.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Does Martian Manhunter not count for that now?
    The most coveted role in the entire franchise. The one ring to rule them all .

no, Martian Manhunter does not count as minority representation, he isn't even a human being. J'onn in recent years has been portrayed by more black actors (i think he even has the odd black/non-white human form occasionally in the comics but not any i remember tbh) but he's typically green and his stories are rarely, if ever, coded to represent any particular racial/ethnic minority; they're usually standard scifi fare that touches on themes of generalized marginalization.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Fantastic issue today. Did not expect to see Thorne address Morrison’s Young Guardians but he did, and I gotta respect any DC writer still working to incorporate what came before them in continuity at this point. Both the John and the Jo sides of the story were really interesting, ChrisCross killed it on art as expected. Things are heating up!
    If ChrisCross is the artist on this book then I need to check it out. I thought he'd never work for DC again.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    no, Martian Manhunter does not count as minority representation, he isn't even a human being. J'onn in recent years has been portrayed by more black actors (i think he even has the odd black/non-white human form occasionally in the comics but not any i remember tbh) but he's typically green and his stories are rarely, if ever, coded to represent any particular racial/ethnic minority; they're usually standard scifi fare that touches on themes of generalized marginalization.
    I think they've been leaning more into that as of late, particularly in Supergirl and Young Justice and their interpretations of Martians.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    If ChrisCross is the artist on this book then I need to check it out. I thought he'd never work for DC again.
    Cross and I did the first story in TRUTH AND JUSTICE, featuring VIXEN and the Global Guardians.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    He’s only on the last issue I think, regular artists are Tom Raney and Marco Santucci. I hope he does more issues because he’s a really great fit for the kind of book this is! Makes John’s new outfit look damn cool!

You’re not alone in that regard, but maybe on account of coming to DC mostly through their standalone stories (as well as DC mainline continuity being so messy) that I’ve always enjoyed the standalone stories just as much or even moreso than the in-continuity stories.
    Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Don't get me wrong, non-canon are good stories, too. I've read them in the past, but I prefer canon, mainly because most non-canon books irrelevant in general, while a few are relevant in some ways as far as it being adapted in other mediums like animation, games etc.

But yeah, the DCU is definitely not perfect. The DC management's handling on the continuity was terrible. So I can see why some non-canon books would probably be more easier for new readers than canon books.

Not really to be honest. I mean, it's cool that you have black voice actors and regular black actors play as the character, but I never looked at him as a POC, just an alien.

True lol

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think they should drop this entirely. It made some sense back when there were very few prominent black characters in comics, but at this point it is pointless and probably does more harm than good. I think that people want actual black characters and not aliens pretending that they are black.

Not really to be honest. I mean, it's cool that you have black voice actors and regular black actors play as the character, but I never looked at him as a POC, just an alien.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think they should drop this entirely. It made some sense back when there were very few prominent black characters in comics, but at this point it is pointless and probably does more harm than good. I think that people want actual black characters and not aliens pretending that they are black.
    David Harewood seemed to be under the impression that the black community had kind of embraced Martian Manhunter, but maybe he was assuming too much.