Page 11 of 177 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I love when he's able to just crack a joke every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s writing Future State Batman and Other History, and after Future State is writing some more stories in anthologies. He’s got a Tim Fox Batman story in Black & White and a Superman story in Blue & Red coming. No clue if he’ll be taking on another ongoing, he was supposed to write 5G Batman before that all collapsed, so he seems open to doing more work. But he’s also a successful Hollywood scriptwriter so he may end up just dipping his toe in comics for a little bit before bailing back to movie scriptwriting. I’d like for him to stick around, I’ve enjoyed his work so far.
    That's good to hear. So if he keeps up, he may be considered a very high profile writer among comic book readers. Thanks for the info.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Good point. I'm definitely picking this up. I am hearing good things about him. So is Ridley a primary writer for DC Comics?
    Before he won that Oscar-he did the book American Way in 2006 from Vertigo and it's sequel about 10 years later.

He has been around DC before. He also did Static Shock and Justice League cartoons. Static Shock's Toys in the Hood and JL's Starcrossed part 2.

So he has John Stewart on his resume.

As for American Way-it was rumored or slated to be a film-so that might be the reason we got Ridley hanging around DC as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Before he won that Oscar-he did the book American Way in 2006 from Vertigo and it's sequel about 10 years later.

He has been around DC before. He also did Static Shock and Justice League cartoons. Static Shock's Toys in the Hood and JL's Starcrossed part 2.

So he has John Stewart on his resume.

As for American Way-it was rumored or slated to be a film-so that might be the reason we got Ridley hanging around DC as of late.
    Interesting. I didn't know that. I'm hoping he stays long-term with DC.

I honestly really liked how Thorne wrote John in Future State: Green Lantern #1, not only in this really cool action oriented role but also as a good field commander for what remains of the corps and the small army that they managed to create after losing the rings.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I honestly really liked how Thorne wrote John in Future State: Green Lantern #1, not only in this really cool action oriented role but also as a good field commander for what remains of the corps and the small army that they managed to create after losing the rings.
    Yeah, I really liked it too. John consistently shows that he is (and is capable of being) a hero without a ring or any Lantern energy. You can see why the Corps would select him to be a champion for 2814.

I wonder if Kenz will show up in the present day book. She seems very competent and was a cool supporting player (along with the rest of John's crew). Since she didn't understand "Semper Fi," I'm guessing she's not American, or maybe not even from Earth. And I suppose her name could be short for McKenzie.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yeah, I really liked it too. John consistently shows that he is (and is capable of being) a hero without a ring or any Lantern energy. You can see why the Corps would select him to be a champion for 2814.

I wonder if Kenz will show up in the present day book. She seems very competent and was a cool supporting player (along with the rest of John's crew). Since she didn't understand "Semper Fi," I'm guessing she's not American, or maybe not even from Earth. And I suppose her name could be short for McKenzie.
    i'm glad you liked it, both of you.

Kenz is not human. You might find out what she is in the second half.

cue evil laugh.

Mine's haven't came from the mail yet. I might get it digital as well so I can read it already lol

Read it, I enjoyed it. Solid voice for Stewart, damn are the GL/Titans/Flash futures grim though. Hoping Stewart will become aware of the Future State timeline and will be out to prevent it in his mainline ongoing come March. Very curious what the “Dark Sectors” are though.

I'm glad that there's more good reviews so far with this book. It makes me even more excited to read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Read it, I enjoyed it. Solid voice for Stewart, damn are the GL/Titans/Flash futures grim though. Hoping Stewart will become aware of the Future State timeline and will be out to prevent it in his mainline ongoing come March. Very curious what the “Dark Sectors” are though.
    Well I can think of only two things with the dark sectors. Either it’s something completely new or it’s those worlds that were released in No Justice and was used by Darkseid to hide during the events of Justice League Odyssey.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I don't love the art team, but I will admit that Geoff wrote the book in a very concentrated manner, each beat building upon the previous one, and the moment where Jon switched from okay let's separate, to him saying "oh crap, screw that, we can't do sheet here" was visually executed in a very intense and immediate fashion by way of the penciller. You really get a sense of how things change moment to moment. It reminded me of the forward momentum of the screenwriters and directors of Infinity War. It's a technique that is interesting in an action setting at least in the short term (could be exausting after 15 issues, never know until we get there). Kind of hard to judge how he would handle less intense moments of action in Green Lantern but I'm interested in finding out.

Also really surprised by the dialogue. I sort of had to take a moment at one point to adjust to how all the characters were speaking, because it felt like actual tactical dialogue. There wasn't much obvious exposition, it didn't feel like they were talking to the reader. It's not a bad thing whatsoever, I'm just not used to it. Over all, kind of a dense read. I'm really fascinated by what he will do since I don't imagine that this book gives us any real indication of the plot for his run in April, I think it just sets the tone and his style.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-12-2021 at 02:40 PM.

I think Geoff Thorne would write the heck of a heist thriller. Maybe we'll get to see one in his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't love the art team, but I will admit that Geoff wrote the book in a very concentrated manner, each beat building upon the previous one, and the moment where Jon switched from okay let's separate, to him saying "oh crap, screw that, we can't do sheet here" was visually executed in a very intense and immediate fashion by way of the penciller. You really get a sense of how things change moment to moment. It reminded me of the forward momentum of the screenwriters and directors of Infinity War. It's a technique that is interesting in an action setting at least in the short term (could be exausting after 15 issues, never know until we get there). Kind of hard to judge how he would handle less intense moments of action in Green Lantern but I'm interested in finding out.

Also really surprised by the dialogue. I sort of had to take a moment at one point to adjust to how all the characters were speaking, because it felt like actual tactical dialogue. There wasn't much obvious exposition, it didn't feel like they were talking to the reader. It's not a bad thing whatsoever, I'm just not used to it. Overall, kind of a dense read. I really fascinated by what he will do since I don't imagine that this book gives us any real indication of the plot for his run in April, I think it just sets the tone and his style.
    Excellent review!

It's was a cool read but I didn't love the art. Everyone had such huge heads it was distracting.
    I want to know more about the new characters, thought.