Page 12 of 177 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Also really surprised by the dialogue. I sort of had to take a moment at one point to adjust to how all the characters were speaking, because it felt like actual tactical dialogue. There wasn't much obvious exposition, it didn't feel like they were talking to the reader. ...
    Thank you for noticing. that's on purpose.

MOSAIC, the book I did for Marvel, is mostly narrated by the title character by necessity. So, in a way, it's ALL exposition. This story is NOT inside John's head so it works more like a movie.

The Vixen story is less dense than this one also because it's a breezier sort of story.

Each story tells you how to tell it. This (future state) is basically a WAR story. The Green Lantern book will... not be that... exactly... sort of... mostly...?

I'm VERY invested now to see how folks respond to part 2.
    Last edited by Redjack; 01-12-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm sorry to say that the GL: Future State issue didn't really do it for me, nor have any of the other Future State stories I've checked out with the notable exception of The Next Batman (which I thought was quite good).

This felt like generic military sci-fi stuff to me and John didn't really display any of his quirkier qualities that I've found so endearing about him in the past. I've grown bored to tears with hard ass military leader John. I want to see more of the weird, introspective, community-building, jazz loving blerd who thinks outside the box. That side of the character has seemingly been completely forgotten in favor of a type of character I can find in literally thousands of other sci-fi action stories.

I'm glad John's finally getting the spotlight and that some of you are enjoying this, but I can't imagine that this is the kind of story that's going to make any kind of impression to non-John fans given all the other comics and entertainment available to readers. To make any kind of dent in today's market, there has to be something bold, unique or special about your tale. I'm just not seeing that here, which is a damned shame.

I'll check back in once the ongoing series starts. Hopefully, without the need for tired dark alternate future tropes, there'll be a greater focus on who John Stewart is beyond the same sci-fi action hero protagonist we've already seen again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm sorry to say that the GL: Future State issue didn't really do it for me, nor have any of the other Future State stories I've checked out with the notable exception of The Next Batman (which I thought was quite good).

This felt like generic military sci-fi stuff to me and John didn't really display any of his quirkier qualities that I've found so endearing about him in the past. I've grown bored to tears with hard ass military leader John. I want to see more of the weird, introspective, community-building, jazz loving blerd who thinks outside the box. That side of the character has seemingly been completely forgotten in favor of a type of character I can find in literally thousands of other sci-fi action stories.

I'm glad John's finally getting the spotlight and that some of you are enjoying this, but I can't imagine that this is the kind of story that's going to make any kind of impression to non-John fans given all the other comics and entertainment available to readers. To make any kind of dent in today's market, there has to be something bold, unique or special about your tale. I'm just not seeing that here, which is a damned shame.

I'll check back in once the ongoing series starts. Hopefully, without the need for tired dark alternate future tropes, there'll be a greater focus on who John Stewart is beyond the same sci-fi action hero protagonist we've already seen again and again.
    sorry to lose you. Obviously i disagree with your assessment; you've only read half of this story so your judgment might be a little premature in terms of John ever having been portrayed this way.

but, as I always say, you can't ever get 100%. All you can do is your best and hope most people ride along.

If you don't want to come back for part two, please do check back in April for a gear shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    sorry to lose you. Obviously i disagree with your assessment; you've only read half of this story so your judgment might be a little premature in terms of John ever having been portrayed this way.

but, as I always say, you can't ever get 100%. All you can do is your best and hope most people ride along.

If you don't want to come back for part two, please do check back in April for a gear shift.
    No worries, I will most certainly be back for Green Lantern #1 in April, but these comics are too expensive for me to come back for the second half of a story that wasn't working for me. I wish you luck in finding an audience for the story you're telling. I didn't think it was bad, but rather a type of story I've seen too often already and have grown tired of.

No worries, I will most certainly be back for Green Lantern #1 in April, but these comics are too expensive for me to come back for the second half of a story that wasn't working for me. I wish you luck in finding an audience for the story you're telling. I didn't think it was bad, but rather a type of story I've seen too often already and have grown tired of.
    as all of us keep re-iterating, FUTURE STATE is not the story. It's a FLASH FORWARD into some future part of a story that may or may not see its end (everything depends on sales, after all) once we actually start telling it.

GREEN LANTERN and all the other books (i think) will take place in the present.

You should think of my Future State as a movie from the future, not an idea of where we'll be when GL picks up in April.

Thank you for noticing. that's on purpose.

MOSAIC, the book I did for Marvel, is mostly narrated by the title character by necessity. So, in a way, it's ALL exposition. This story is NOT inside John's head so it works more like a movie.

The Vixen story is less dense than this one also because it's a breezier sort of story.

Each story tells you how to tell it. This (future state) is basically a WAR story. The Green Lantern book will... not be that... exactly... sort of... mostly...?

I'm VERY invested now to see how folks respond to part 2.
    Haha. Well I'm curious to see it

I read the issue and I thought it was really good. I was very pleased reading this. I also like how the narration was handled. It's nice to see John lead and be in the action at the same time. John really needs a supporting cast without borrowing characters from other characters. He needs characters that sticks to him. The new characters in this book is a real treat for the character. I'm hoping we'll see more when April comes. I'm curious to see what happened to Kilowog in the next issue. I'm excited for the next issue.

BANNED

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I love these!!

as all of us keep re-iterating, FUTURE STATE is not the story. It's a FLASH FORWARD into some future part of a story that may or may not see its end (everything depends on sales, after all) once we actually start telling it.

GREEN LANTERN and all the other books (i think) will take place in the present.

You should think of my Future State as a movie from the future, not an idea of where we'll be when GL picks up in April.
    I hope so. Dark alternate future stories are just not my thing. They were fresh and exciting a few decades ago, but now they've been driven into the ground from endless repetition. As a result, none of the Future State have really worked for me because they all seen to be rehashing the same old tropes we've seen dozens of times now. Hell, even The Next Batman, which I loved, is leaning on that stuff a lot, but there's enough fresh stuff in there that I'm still on board--although I'm sure the Nick Derrington of it all helped

There's nothing wrong being critical. So no need to apologize

I think writers tend to go to that aspect the most, is because of the popularity of his appearance from the cartoon, where he was the Marine. John Stewart was portrayed as being the heavy thinker around Van Jensen's run. He defined the character as the builder and the destroyer. But his run depended too much on crossovers. I'm sure we'll get to see other sides of John in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    There's nothing wrong being critical. So no need to apologize

I think writers tend to go to that aspect the most, is because of the popularity of his appearance from the cartoon, where he was the Marine. John Stewart was portrayed as being the heavy thinker around Van Jensen's run. He defined the character as the builder and the destroyer. But his run depended too much on crossovers. I'm sure we'll get to see other sides of John in April.
    That's what I'm hoping for. As much as the JLU portrayal really helped push John into the public eye, it unfortunately pigeonholed him into the no nonsense military leader archetype, which is a shame because Dwayne McDuffie was also able to layer that fairly interesting elements on top of that, like John being a huge nerd. I was hoping that the comics would be able to combine all that with the other wonderful layers of John's character from O'Neil, Wein, Englehart, Preist & Jones into a more multi-faceted character that has largely been stuck in bland military guy mode for too long.