Page 156 of 177 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2641
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

preview from the upcoming Green Lantern courtesy of ChrisCross
    Looking good. The art has been the weakest part of GL thus far. ChrisCross will certainly do a lot to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Looking good. The art has been the weakest part of GL thus far. ChrisCross will certainly do a lot to fix that.
    I'm in the minority but I actually really enjoyed Raney's art. tho, i'll admit, it likely wouldn't pull off the superhero epicness of this scene as well.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

God damn that looks amazing!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'm in the minority but I actually really enjoyed Raney's art. tho, i'll admit, it likely wouldn't pull off the superhero epicness of this scene as well.
    The art on GL hasn't been bad by any stretch, but the visuals have traditionally been so much more important to GL than with a lot of other books. Whether it's Jamal Campbell or Liam Sharp or Gabriel Hardman, Ivan Reis, or Dave Gibbons, the art has been at least as important as the writing.

Thus far, the art has been perfectly fine, but it's nothing that people are going to be talking about years from now. I know that's a high bar to reach, but I wish the ambition of the visuals was matching that of the writing, which is clearly swinging for the fences.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    M'Gann has her White Martian baggage that J'onn doesn't.

I mean...it's a belt.
    Claiming to be someone or something you're not is what made Hawkgirl compelling in JLU, and what once made Mar-Vell an interesting character at Marvel.

Really great to see John powered up again!

Hoping to see the classic logo on this costume.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 11-08-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Claiming to be someone or something you're not is what made Hawkgirl compelling in JLU, and what once made Mar-Vell an interesting character at Marvel.
    I thought that was more her feisty personality and aggressive nature, but I guess being a Thangarian spy did make her more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Maybe-- It's also easier to make sure everyone has a personality and panel-time when you limit yourself to a Five-Man Band.

I think that's why JLU worked well. Even though there was a large number of Leaguers, each episode only featured a handful of them.

In my headcanon, these five sit at the round table, but the League has dozens of other members, both full-time and part-time...
    I agree. That's pretty much how I see it, too.

That looks amazing!!!!! Wow!!!! I didn't know that ChrisCross is going to do artwork for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The art on GL hasn't been bad by any stretch, but the visuals have traditionally been so much more important to GL than with a lot of other books. Whether it's Jamal Campbell or Liam Sharp or Gabriel Hardman, Ivan Reis, or Dave Gibbons, the art has been at least as important as the writing.

Thus far, the art has been perfectly fine, but it's nothing that people are going to be talking about years from now. I know that's a high bar to reach, but I wish the ambition of the visuals was matching that of the writing, which is clearly swinging for the fences.
    I think the problem is that there's mix feelings with Tom Raney's art. I personally like his art, but from what I've seen, some others don't care much for it. But if DC is really serious on making Green Lantern a real successful franchise, they need to invest in an artist where the majority of readers are fond of his/her artwork. I think that's one of the reasons on why Geoff Johns had a successful franchise. High profile artists were involved. I remembered when Venditti came onboard for writing Green Lantern, so many readers complained about Billy Tan's art, which I felt it probably help contributed on the franchise falling apart, not just Venditti's early GL work.

Extraordinary Member

Gaaat Dayum!!!!!

That is mighty fine art!

Shine your light, John Stewart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I think the problem is that there's mix feelings with Tom Raney's art. I personally like his art, but from what I've seen, some others don't care much for it. But if DC is really serious on making Green Lantern a real successful franchise, they need to invest in an artist where the majority of readers are fond of his/her artwork. I think that's one of the reasons on why Geoff Johns had a successful franchise. High profile artists were involved. I remembered when Venditti came onboard for writing Green Lantern, so many readers complained about Billy Tan's art, which I felt it probably help contributed on the franchise falling apart, not just Venditti's early GL work.
    For real, Johns was blessed to work with such talented artists.

Love Raney’s art from his Stormwatch days but his current era art just doesn’t do much for me.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Yeah, that's one thing I would give the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Johns' artists have been hard carrying his material the last few years tbh.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Which made sense, considering it was one of the top selling books rivaling Batman.

After Johns' departure, the franchise didn't have artists near that level. You had artists like Billy Tan on the main book, while other readers felt the artwork on books like GLC, Red Lantern, New Guardians etc. were better.

I think Fabok was definitely the most univerally praised thing about Three Jokers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Fabok was definitely the most univerally praised thing about Three Jokers.
    You don't hear about him much these days. I wouldn't mind seeing him doing artwork for Green Lantern.