Page 163 of 177 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2641

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    David Harewood seemed to be under the impression that the black community had kind of embraced Martian Manhunter, but maybe he was assuming too much.
    He was. Very much too much.

Zero aliens or androids function as a proxies for POC except to racist who'd prefer we not actually be present in "their" fiction. Zero.

BANNED

David Harewood seemed to be under the impression that the black community had kind of embraced Martian Manhunter, but maybe he was assuming too much.
    I'd chalk that up to self-interest rather than how most people actually view it, even if he believes it.

I'll reiterate that I'm not interested in an imitation like that either, especially since J'onn can pass as whatever is en vogue at the time-- Not a choice real people have.

John Stewart getting powers again makes me happy. Especially New God-esque powers, wow, it's like Kyle Rayner's Ion thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Is this a new panel Dexter Soy drew or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Is this a new panel Dexter Soy drew or something?
    No, it's from earlier in Redjack's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    John Stewart getting powers again makes me happy. Especially New God-esque powers, wow, it's like Kyle Rayner's Ion thing.
    It's nice to see a more powerful version of John. We don't have concrete answers on what he really is on whether he's considered a New God or something else yet, like him being Ascended (I'm curious on what the New God of Journeys mean by that).

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    He was. Very much too much.

Zero aliens or androids function as a proxies for POC except to racist who'd prefer we not actually be present in "their" fiction. Zero.
    I'd chalk that up to self-interest rather than how most people actually view it, even if he believes it.

I'll reiterate that I'm not interested in an imitation like that either, especially since J'onn can pass as whatever is en vogue at the time-- Not a choice real people have.
    Metaphors for minorities in fiction (even if they don't always hold up as well) are pretty common, so I think it's the intention and execution that's important at the end of the day. Even if J'onn can shapeshift he can relate to feeling like the "other" and dealing with various concepts of identity and how that contrasts/conflicts with others and human society.

Of course I think it also all comes back to how definitive Carl Lumbly's portrayal of J'onn was in JL.

And funnily enough both Phil LaMarr and Carl have played family or fellow martians to J'onn in different adaptions.

Metaphors for minorities in fiction (even if they don't always hold up as well) are pretty common, so I think it's the intention and execution that's important at the end of the day. Even if J'onn can shapeshift he can relate to feeling like the "other" and dealing with various concepts of identity and how that contrasts/conflicts with others and human society.

Of course I think it also all comes back to how definitive Carl Lumbly's portrayal of J'onn was in JL.

And funnily enough both Phil LaMarr and Carl have played family or fellow martians to J'onn in different adaptions.
    Actually DC Comics actively and intentionally resisted the inclusion of black characters in specific and non-stereotypical POC in general throughout the silver age and well into the bronze because they thought racist southerners wouldn't buy comics featuring those ethnic groups. At the same time MARVEL was embracing the social zeitgeist in the USA, DC was digging in its heals to resist that progress.

using weird-colored aliens to fill the minority gap wasn't a creative decision. MULTIPLE creators tried to make the necessary inclusive changes, only to have them slapped down, erased or modified by editorial.

Actually DC Comics actively and intentionally resisted the inclusion of black characters in specific and non-stereotypical POC in general throughout the silver age and well into the bronze because they thought racist southerners wouldn't buy comics featuring those ethnic groups. At the same time MARVEL was embracing the social zeitgeist in the USA, DC was digging in its heals to resist that progress.

using weird-colored aliens to fill the minority gap wasn't a creative decision. MULTIPLE creators tried to make the necessary inclusive changes, only to have them slapped down, erased or modified by editorial.
    Ironically though the whole "J'onn being black" thing came wayyyy later than that. Like I think the first time might've been Phil Morris on Smallville?

Ironically though the whole "J'onn being black" thing came wayyyy later than that. Like I think the first time might've been Phil Morris on Smallville?
    this was likely due to the changes made to the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series to be more inclusive than originally designed both on screen in interns of hiring voice talent. By the time the live-action version was being reintroduced (also on a show that had lost its sole black character) the concerns of TV production had pushed the need to add some color.

this was likely due to the changes made to the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series to be more inclusive than originally designed both on screen in interns of hiring voice talent. By the time the live-action version was being reintroduced (also on a show that had lost its sole black character) the concerns of TV production had pushed the need to add some color.
    Although I don't think he ever actually took on a black form in JL/JLU in the entire series, despite being voiced by Carl Lumbly (John Jones was black in JL: Doom in 2012 with Lumbly). I remember his Asian form at the end of JLU though.

BANNED

At the end of the day, being Black is a mask J'onn can take off whenever he wants--and he does so when ever he's in battle anyway. Like Cyborg, I don't think DC's premier Black hero should look monstrous, while the White characters look like Greek gods.

BANNED

At the end of the day, being Black is a mask J'onn can take off whenever he wants--and he does so when ever he's in battle anyway. Like Cyborg, I don't think DC's premier Black hero should look monstrous, while the White characters look like Greek gods.
    I don't think it's about a mask, it's about a sense of self and situation. But that's just me.