Page 164 of 177 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174 ... LastLast
Results 2,446 to 2,460 of 2641

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's about a mask, it's about a sense of self and situation. But that's just me.
    Yeah, J'Onn feels like an outsider and "alien" (in the non-extraterrrestrial sense) in a way that's very relatable to real-world minorities. In many ways he CAN'T fit in. He can try, but it can only go so far. Doing Human things for Human reasons just doesn't mean the same thing to him. It's more of a cultural outsider thing than physical, but still a powerful analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, J'Onn feels like an outsider and "alien" (in the non-extraterrrestrial sense) in a way that's very relatable to real-world minorities. In many ways he CAN'T fit in. He can try, but it can only go so far. Doing Human things for Human reasons just doesn't mean the same thing to him. It's more of a cultural outsider thing than physical, but still a powerful analogy.
    that's not how we feel. that's how immigrants feel. J'onn's metaphor is that of a foreigner, not of a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    that's not how we feel. that's how immigrants feel. J'onn's metaphor is that of a foreigner, not of a minority.
    Yeah that's how I interpret it, too.

Society has a bad habit of other-ing anyone or anything that is different, so I feel like that's enough of a common connecting point in my opinion.

BANNED

The DCAU team gave John green irises to make him more visually interesting. I wonder if that idea was at all inspired by the blue spice eyes in Dune.

Society has a bad habit of other-ing anyone or anything that is different, so I feel like that's enough of a common connecting point in my opinion.
    it's not.

they're entirely different experiences. sometimes they overlap in one person but they are different things. J'onn is not a proxy for POC except in the mind of a silver age dc comics editor.

it's not.

they're entirely different experiences. sometimes they overlap in one person but they are different things. J'onn is not a proxy for POC except in the mind of a silver age dc comics editor.
    I can agree that they can overlap from an individual perspective.

I personally just don't think the people casting J'onn these days are thinking from the mindset of a Silver Age DC Comics editor when they keep casting him black and making that an element in his human disguise (with the possible implications).

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    The DCAU team gave John green irises to make him more visually interesting. I wonder if that idea was at all inspired by the blue spice eyes in Dune.
    Do we know if any of the team were Dune fans? It’s possible, but it might just have been a design choice to illustrate that wearing the ring gave him power, like the green aura did.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

I can agree that they can overlap from an individual perspective.

I personally just don't think the people casting J'onn these days are thinking from the mindset of a Silver Age DC Comics editor when they keep casting him black and making that an element in his human disguise (with the possible implications).
    I mean, that just other-izes non-White people by associating color with being alien, while White is the default. Additionally, J’onn doesn’t see himself as Black or White or whatever, since the form he defaults to around friends and for combat is green.

Also, there are lots of other immigrant analogies on the Justice League, namely Superman and Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Do we know if any of the team were Dune fans? It’s possible, but it might just have been a design choice to illustrate that wearing the ring gave him power, like the green aura did.
    It’s possible— JLU is rife with sci Fi and fantasy references, from Star Trek to Excalibur to Buffy. . . McDuffie was a nerd in all the best ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I'm guessing they do it for every GL?
    I mean, that just other-izes non-White people by associating color with being alien, while White is the default. Additionally, J’onn doesn’t see himself as Black or White or whatever, since the form he defaults to around friends and for combat is green.

Also, there are lots of other immigrant analogies on the Justice League, namely Superman and Wonder Woman.
    But it's also the form he chooses to use for downtime that's relevant in my opinion. Of course like a lot of metaphors it's not always perfect or apt, but it seems like something DC seems fine with maintaining.
    It’s possible— JLU is rife with sci Fi and fantasy references, from Star Trek to Excalibur to Buffy. . . McDuffie was a nerd in all the best ways.
    The world lost him far too soon .

BANNED

The green irises are unique to John, but the 2011 GL film gave Reynolds white irises. The other GLs have masks or markings to make their faces stand out. Guy has his shock of red hair.

BANNED

I'm guessing they do it for every GL?

But it's also the form he chooses to use for downtime that's relevant in my opinion. Of course like a lot of metaphors it's not always perfect or apt, but it seems like something DC seems fine with maintaining.

The world lost him far too soon .
    When he has downtime with the people who know he’s an alien, he’s green. He only takes a human form to hide who he is.

When he has downtime with the people who know he’s an alien, he’s green. He only takes a human form to hide who he is.
    I meant downtime as in civilian life. When he's in his J'onn form he's usually a hero 100% of the time monitoring stuff.

Here's hoping a writer don't ignore this Xanshi conclusion with MM and John and undo what Scott Snyder wrote.